Pitbulls banned in Montana! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Pitbulls banned in Montana!

Everyone,

As most of you have already heard, the state of Montana is trying to pass a bill (H.B. 191) to ban the pitbull breed in Montana! I have started a website to petition this bill and will bring a printed copy of the results to the hearing on Thursday. Please, even if you dont own a pitbull, show your support by signing the petition. As an individual, there is almost nothing we can do, but together we can make a difference!

Please visit savethepitbulls.bitsurge.net and sign your name to the petition, and help us stop this outrageous bill!

Anyone who would like more information or can offer other ways to help or show your support, please contact me by email... DanShads2 @ aol.com

Thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 06:11 PM
chinchilla breeder

When will people realize it is not the animal that is bad it is the owner. A dog is only behaving the way it was raised/trained

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Morici
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aren't pitbulls breed to be "mean"? Please don't think I am making a judgement against pitbulls, I'm truly not. I am simply "ignorant" so to speak of the breed. All I hear is bad--kids being attacked and such. Seems to me that any dog can be raised/trained to be vicious. Why is it almost always pitbulls that you hear about? I would like some information and answers from knowledgable people. Please help me to have an informed opinion of this breed!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

LuvPets, I think if you watch the video on my website it might help you understand a little more about pitbulls. Pitbulls are more popularly known as vicious because more of them are raised that way by their owner. This is only because of the strength, endurance, and body structure of the pitbull compared to most other dogs. Myself, along with thousands of others, have a pitbull that has not been raised to be vicious and he is one of the friendliest dogs you'll ever see.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for being understanding of my viewpoint and being willing to help me understand without getting defensive!! It means alot! I was so afraid of making someone mad-and that really wasn't my intention!! It seems pitbulls are a sensitive subject that I am often afraid to ask questions about them.

Unfortunately, I live in the "sticks" and am still subjected to dial-up internet. But the first chance I get, I will watch the video! Thanks again for your help!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Bad owners always ruin it for everyone else. They tried to ban pit bulls in the county I live in and so many people showed up to the hearing with information and pictures and whatnot that the bill never passed.

*Missy*
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

they have tried to ban pits here many times, but as almost everyone here owns one it has not worked...there are bad dogs in every breed, and its all in the way they were raised. I just hate when alls you see in the news is pit attacks and they never speak of the many others...I love Pits and support them with all my heart, I could not imagine living in a world with out seeing their big silly smiles and seeing those big ole giants try and curl into a tiny ball to be the lap dog they imagine they are lol...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Rodentologist

The main problem with the "pit bull" is that a "pit bull" is not even a specific breed, but a group of breeds, and most people can't identify them. The CDC initially released a report many years ago suggesting that "pit bull" type dogs accounting for a certain percentage of dog fatalities. Now they will no longer release statistics because breed reporting is often grossly inaccurate.

Although pits were initially bred for dogfighting, you have to understand that a dog who will bite a human being in the ring is a liability. When two people are in a ring with two fighting dogs, the only way to stay unharmed is to only breed those with the strongest bite inhibition towards people. Unfortunately, most of the dogs today are poorly bred, and dogfighting (although always a vile sport) today is especially abusive, and literally abuse the dogs to make them fight.

Remember the Vick dogs? The horrible vicious killer dogs? 1 of the entire group had to be euthanized, and these dogs were in the ring, trained to fight, and often abused to goad them into doing so.

Pit bulls, are, at their heart, people dogs, and I have rarely seen a breed which will cleave so closely to their human families. But when people who know nothing about the breed buy them and try to make them "tough", neglect them, and leave the outside, it seems tragic to blame the dogs and ban them. Ban bad ownership. Step up and enforce the laws we already have and make new ones designed to stop this.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 PM
is a little "special"

Oh, Id like to add on to Jennicats Micheal Vick story, and say that 2 of the dogs rescued are certified therapy dogs. ^^ It just helps prove that any pittie can be great dogs, if treated well.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Hello Earthling

Pits are great dogs, its the owner that ruin it for everyone.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Adolescent Pup

my husband and i look forward to the day when we can have a pitty!!! right now, no house, lil apartment, no deal. and we realize that they may be a big task for a new dog owner, but someday, our plan is to have a rescue pit. the ones i've met have all captured my hearts. they are stunning animals, with the capacity to be the most loayl of pets. they should NEVER be banned, but should be taken in with the greatest of care. they are not dogs for a lazy owner. i can't wait till i know enough to have one, till then i will do all i can to help the breed!!!

George orwell
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Oily Chickenspew

i live in montana and have been personally attacked by one. however i dont believe that they should be banned! it's ridiculous!

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail

Tags
ban, bill, petition, pitbull