Please Help - Re: Peach Wood - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Please Help - Re: Peach Wood

Does anyone here know of a vet that will testify to the fact that peach wood is dangerous for chinchillas? Not the pit or the leaves, but the actual wood. Ware Mfg is producing products for chinchillas and other small animals containing peach wood, and I have heard that this is dangerous/contains toxic materials. Ware Mfg has agreed to stop using the peach wood if we can PROVE that this is dangerous. Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Thank you!

See my beautiful new baby chinchilla here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

I hope someone will, there is so much contradictory information out there:

Quote:
Wood for gnawing can be provided and safe woods include elm, maple, birch and bark from apple, pear and peach trees
HUSBANDRY, HANDLING AND TREATMENT OF POCKET PETS

Quote:
Peaches are placed in the genus Prunus, along with cherries,
almonds, plums, apricots, & all the other stone fruits which are not safe woods for your pet
safewoods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~2 gerbils, Cheech and Cookie

~2 degus, Diego and Luna (rescues!)

~1 old rat, Touille (Too-ee - rescue!), 2 babies, Cassius and Columbus

~A naughty old Jack Russell, Jack (rescue doggy)

~A dopey Black and White Shorthair, also Jack!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 PM
RAT ADDICT

I never heard that before,but I don't use it anyway.Talk to some vets and see what they say.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I'd also like to know for future reference

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

I am sending letters to all exotic vets that I can locate in order to obtain as much information as possible on this matter. In the meantime, Ware Manufacturing has temporarily STOPPED adding the peach wood to their products! Again...if anyone has any useful information, please send it my way.

Thank you!

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

Good on you imlori! That's a victory for us pet owners!
Maybe we'll be able to get pine bedding, sugary treats manufactured for degus and chins, and those **** habitrail plastic hamster cages banned next!!!!
It's great when manufacturers actually listen to the people who know and care about their pets.
Do get those letters written though. It's very important we find a factual conclusion.

~2 gerbils, Cheech and Cookie

~2 degus, Diego and Luna (rescues!)

~1 old rat, Touille (Too-ee - rescue!), 2 babies, Cassius and Columbus

~A naughty old Jack Russell, Jack (rescue doggy)

~A dopey Black and White Shorthair, also Jack!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:17 PM
RAT ADDICT

Once pine and cedar gets banned and pulled off the shelves,I am going to celebrate! In the meantime,I educate as many people as possible.

* Lisa *

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:23 PM

I agree! Pine& Cedar is the devil

Keep us updated! I lost my chinchilla last year,she didnt have any peach wood though,but I definately want more chinchillas& I'd love to know if it's safe or not!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh Melissa,that Debbie misses who breeds chins was at the expo with one of her black sweeties! I wonder if she knows? She is quite knowlagable.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:37 PM

I don't know ,I used to talk with her off& on when I got my first chinchilla "Klondike" (remember him? ) But then I just lost contact with her& such.I used to be on a forum called "ChinchillaClub" I believe thats where I met her honestly! Maybe though !!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

I don't really talk to her either.I did at the expo and I did when we visited her.But I wonder...I think Dawna talks to her,should see if she could ask about it.

* Lisa *

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated. I am not sure what research THEY are doing, but they said they would welcome any and all information I could give them. Writing to exotic vets has been sort of a "slow go" on my end because of my medical transcription job and the time I have to spend with my new baby chin...getting him use to his new home and playing "getting-to-know-you." He was 10-weeks-old Tuesday and was previously in the cage with his mother, father, and brother. He is adjusting VERY well, but needs a LOT of attention right now.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Adolescent Pup

The following is a bird specific link, but I think it might help you guys identify which woods are safe and which pose toxicity threats to your animals...

I do a bit of woodworking myself, and when working with an unfamiliar species, I always like to learn about potential toxicities before exposing myself to sawdust/splinters etc. I imagine that an animal as small as a chinchilla could be at great risk if it ingests even a small amount of poisonous wood. Good Luck.

<-Steve->

Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Poisonous. Parrots. Parrot cages.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 09:20 PM
RAT ADDICT

Good link Steve!

* Lisa *

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

Thank you, Vanilla. Glad to be of help. <-Steve->

Tags
animal lover, exotic vet, hamster cage, pet owner, pine bedding