Police Report on Dog Dragging: - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:35 PM
jkimbrell

Angry Police Report on Dog Dragging:

Incident Report

Agency: Goose Creek Police Department
Jurisdiction: SC0080300
Report Date/Time: 05/05/2002 16:17:00
Incident/Case Number: 2002-1413
Case Description: Cruelty To Animals
Primary Officer Name/ID: Riccio, Guy M. /0105
Approved By: [none listed]
Date/Time Printed: 05/09/2002 15:05:21

Subject: Pride William Griffis, White Male, Age: 35, DOB: 07/19/1966, Height: 5'4," Weight: 140, Hair: BRN, Eyes: HAZ
Subject Address: 102 Tweed Ct., Summerville, SC 29483
Telephone: [none listed]

Witness: Paul Adams
Address: 313 Annette Dr., Goose Creek, SC 29446
Telephone: 843-797-2009

Narrative Title: Cruelty to an Animal (3 Pages)
Date Entered: 05/06/2002 01:03:25
Report by: PFC Guy M. Riccio

On 05-05-2002, at approximately 1617 hours, I was dispatched to the area of Stephanie Drive and Annette Drive, located in the Boulder Bluff Subdivision, in reference to a report of a vehicle dragging a dog by a chain connected to the vehicle.

While responding to the area, the dispatcher advised that the suspect vehicle was an older model gray in color van heading towards Highway 52. PFC Wickliffe who was also responding to the area advised me that an older model gray in color van turned south on Highway 52 and was heading in my direction. I observed a gray in color Dodge van heading south at Highway 52 and Thomason Blvd. The van was headed towards Highway 176. I turned my patrol vehicle around and got behind the van in the turning lane to Red Bank Road. I advised the dispatcher to run the license plate (496 NSV SC/02) through the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles for the owner information. Just as the dispatcher was giving me the owner information, the Dodge van made a u-turn heading back north on Highway 52.

I initiated my blue lights and conducted a traffic stop on the van on highway 52 north just past Red Bank Road. Before I could Exit my vehicle, the driver of the van, later identified as Pride Griffis, exited the vehicle and rushed towards my patrol vehicle. I noticed Mr. Griffis had blood covering both of his hands. I yelled out to Mr. Griffis to stop and get out of the lane of traffic. Mr. Griffis walked onto the shoulder and I stated to him, "why is there blood on your hands, is anybody hurt." Mr. Griffis stated, "my dog got hit by a car and I'm trying to get him to my veterinarians office on St. James Avenue." I informed Mr. Griffis that I was stopping him, because, I received a call that an older model gray van was dragging a dog from behind the van. Mr. Griffis stated, "I'm sorry, I lied but I didn't mean to do it. I'm just trying to get to my vet."

I informed Mr. Griffis that if he was going to his veterinarians office on St. James Avenue he was going the wrong way. I also informed Mr. Griffis that today is Sunday and veterinarian offices are closed on Hwy 176. Mr. Griffis stated he was going to his wife's work at the Waffle House to inform her of what had happened. I informed Mr. Griffis of Miranda Warnings and he stated he understood his rights. I looked inside the van's side door that was opened by Mr. Griffis and observed a large brown in color pit bull lying in the back of the van bleeding.

The pit bull had injuries to his two front legs where the skin was scraped off exposing the bone. There were numerous injuries to the stomach and shoulder areas revealing what I believed to be the internal organs. I informed Mr. Griffis that I was placing him under arrest for Giving False Information to Police (ticket number 98074CB, bond amount $425.00, and a mandatory court date of 06-13-2002 at 0830 hours, at the Goose Creek Municipal Center) and for Cruelty to Animals, warrant is pending drafting on 05-06-2002.

Mr. Griffis was handcuffed, double locked, searched incident to arrest with negative results and placed into the rear seat of my patrol with seatbelt fastened.

PFC Wickliffe arrived with the animal control truck and the animal was placed into the rear of the truck and rushed to the Emergency Veterinarian Clinic, located on Montague Avenue in North Charleston. Mr. Griffis' wife, Kathleen Brady, was called to the scene to take possession of the van. Prior to Ms. Brady's arrival, several photographs were taken of the pit bull and the interior of the van (see attached photos under victim for all 19 photos), which were taken by PFC Wickliffe. Ms. Griffis arrived shortly after and I explained the incident to her and that Mr. Griffis was under arrest for giving false information to police and cruelty to animals. I also informed Ms. Brady that the pit bull was transported to the Emergency Veterinarian Clinic on Montague Avenue. Ms. Brady showed me a valid S.C. driver's license and she departed the scene and went to the Goose Creek Police Department to inquire about Mr. Griffis's bond amount. Ms. Brady then departed the Police Department and responded to the Emergency Vet Clinic. At 2200 hours, the Emergency Vet Clinic notified the Goose Creek Police Department that due to serious injuries to the brown in color male pit bull from this incident they had to put the canine to sleep.

Mr. Griffis was then transported to the Goose Creek Police Department for booking and processing. While in the booking room, Mr. Griffis was read his Miranda Rights again and informed that he was being videotaped and if he wanted to give a statement he could. Both tapes were tagged and placed into the evidence locker for securing. The cable that was used to drag the pit bull was also tagged and placed into the evidence locker for evidence. Mr. Griffis was then transported to the Berkeley County Detention Center for lodging and a hold was placed on him pending the service of the warrant.

No further action required at this time. Case cleared by arrest.

On 05-06-2002, at approximately 1400 hours, a bond hearing was held at the Goose Creek Municipal Center for Mr. Griffis with Judge Johnson presiding. Sgt. Upchurch served Mr. Griffis with a warrant for Ill Treatment to Animals. Judge Johnson issued a $25,000.00 surety bond for Mr. Griffis and he was transported back to the Berkeley County Detention Center for lodging. It should also be noted that the following information was inadvertently left out of the original report. Mr. Griffis stated he realized after driving approximately (75) that the dog was being dragged behind his vehicle. Through my investigation at the scene, the canine was dragged from Anne Street to Stephanie Drive. The blood trail and marks indicated that the dog was dragged for approximately twelve hundred feet.

No further action required. Case closed pending General Sessions hearing in Moncks Corner at 0900 hours on 06-14-2002.

R/O: PFC Riccio 306
***End of Report***

Please write to the General Sessions Judge and Berkeley County Solicitor in this case and politely request that the animal abuse charges against Pride William Griffis be pursued in accordance with Section 47-1-40 Paragraph (B) of the South Carolina Code of Laws, that Mr. Griffis receive a court ordered psychiatric evaluation, and that the court NOT allow Mr. Griffis to own or harbor further animals.

General Sessions Court
Judge McGregor T. Dennis
103 Gulledge Street
Moncks Corner, SC 29461
Phone: 843-719-4220
Fax: 843-719-4534
[email protected]

Mr. Ralph E. Hoisington, Solicitor
300 California Ave
Moncks Corner, SC 29461
Phone: (843) 719-4549 Ext. 4529
[email protected]

You may also e-mail your letters via Berkeley County and ask that they be forwarded to Judge Dennis and Solicitor Hoisington (Berkeley County officials have assured me that they will forward any e-mails received to the designated individuals): E-Mail: [email protected]

Web-based E-mail Form: http://www.co.berkeley.sc.us/departs/admin_s/admin2.htm

Berkeley County Website: http://www.co.berkeley.sc.us/index.htm

Berkeley County Officials: http://www.co.berkeley.sc.us/eo/eo1.htm

*Please share this report with friends. As things stand, Pride William Griffis may get away with a fine of as little as $100. To learn more about the Anti-Cruelty Statutes in South Carolina, visit: http://www.leginfo.state.sc.us/code/title47_index.html

For the Animals,

John W. Kimbrell
Inman, SC
[email protected]

To subscribe to SCAnimalRightsAlert, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCAnimalRightsAlert/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 01:09 PM
Fertile Myrtle

OH MY GOD!! You can bet I'll be writing a letter and sending this to everyone I know!! Geeze, how can people be so cruel?

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 04:27 PM
jkimbrell

Thank You!

Thank you, Christi!

Berkeley County officials have changed judges on us, and they are now saying that we should write to Judge Markley Dennis. I suggest that we send our letters to both judges and the solicitor. I have obtained e-mail addresses and fax numbers. Please write to the following officials and politely request that the animal abuse charges against Pride William Griffis be pursued in accordance with Section 47-1-40 Paragraph (B) of the South Carolina Code of Laws, that Mr. Griffis receive a court-ordered psychiatric evaluation, and that the court NOT allow Mr. Griffis to own or harbor further animals.

Circuit Court
The Honorable Judge Markley Dennis
300 California Avenue
Moncks Corner, SC 29461
Phone: 843-719-4406
Fax: 843-719-4511
[email protected]

General Sessions Court
The Honorable Judge McGregor T. Dennis
103 Gulledge Street
Moncks Corner, SC 29461
Phone: 843-719-4220
Fax: 843-719-4534
[email protected]

Mr. Ralph E. Hoisington, Solicitor
300 California Ave
Moncks Corner, SC 29461
Phone: (843) 719-4549 Ext. 4529
Fax: 843-719-4588
[email protected]

You may also e-mail your letters via Berkeley County and ask that they be forwarded to Judge Dennis and Solicitor Hoisington (Berkeley County officials have assured me that they will forward any e-mails received to the designated individuals): E-Mail: [email protected]

Web-based E-mail Form: http://www.co.berkeley.sc.us/departs/admin_s/admin2.htm

Berkeley County Website: http://www.co.berkeley.sc.us/index.htm

Berkeley County Officials: http://www.co.berkeley.sc.us/eo/eo1.htm

*Please share this report with friends. As things stand, Pride William Griffis may get away with a fine of as little as $100. To learn more about the Anti-Cruelty Statutes in South Carolina, visit: http://www.leginfo.state.sc.us/code/title47_index.html

For the Animals,

John W. Kimbrell
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 04:40 PM
Fertile Myrtle

You're welcome! I'll get this added to the front page, also, for more coverage.

Btw, welcome to the forum!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 02:41 PM

Did they ever say why he was dragging the dog behind the van . . . it broke my heart to read this !
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 05:01 PM

That is so sad. I wonder, did he even know he was dragging the dog?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

How could you not know???

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie450
That is so sad. I wonder, did he even know he was dragging the dog?
lol, that is a good point

Tags
animal abuse, animal control, emergency vet, pit bull, vet clinic