Puppy Eaten by Snake - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy Puppy Eaten by Snake

This is truely disgusting!
Man who fed puppy to boa gets 90 days - Crime & Punishment - MSNBC.com

2.1.1 Iguanas
1.2.0 Cats
2.3.0 Puppies
0.1.0 Dogs
1.1.0 Parakeets
1.0.0 Cockatiel
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
1.1.0 Red-eared Sliders
0.0.1 Razorback Musk
0.0.1 Florida Pink-belly
0.0.1 Southern Painted
0.0.1 Mississippi Map
3.1.0 Ferrets
1.0.0 Ball Python
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

My Kids:6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 09:37 PM
RAT ADDICT

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Oily Chickenspew

that's just sick and WRONG!

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 10:43 PM
can't think of one, help

Punishments are not strong enough for people who abuse animals. This guy also neglected the snake too, Hope he gets the max, even though thats not enough
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlebunnies2
Punishments are not strong enough for people who abuse animals. This guy also neglected the snake too, Hope he gets the max, even though thats not enough
I agree
What is wrong with some people???

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I had heard about that when it was first on the news. And I know I'm going to get flamed for this but...

I don't see what the big deal is. The only things I had a problem with were the fact that his snake was in bad shape when they found it and that the puppy was fed live (since I'm not a big fan of live feeding).

When someone feeds a live mouse to their snake they certainly don't get on the news. Why is it different for a puppy? Because they're "cuter"? Because they aren't "pests"? Because they are "smarter"? Why is a puppy's life more valuable? It's not fair at all.

To me it's no different then feeding any other feeder animal. Rabbits are cherished pets for many people yet those are commonly fed to snakes...and I'm sure plenty of people feed them live. But somehow that doesn't matter because they aren't kittens or puppies. It really makes me angry.

Yes, it's sad. But I would be sad even if it was a mouse.

I guess it just annoys me how people get all up in arms about a live puppy being fed to a snake but none of the other animals that are.

But he definitely deserved what he got since he wasn't properly caring for his snake...it was really skinny when they found it .

And now snake owners will have even more of a bad rep *sigh*.

Don't get me wrong, I love puppies. I just don't see how this was different then someone feeding a rat or something.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 11:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

I actually agree with you on this...because it is no different then feeding rats and mice.Some snakes even eat rabbits and hamsters.You made a good post.I wondered if someone was going to say that.

What makes me angry is the fact that this guy wasn't taking proper care of the snake.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:13 AM

Oh thats not why I was mad.
Just clearing that up.Some people even eat cats& dogs.
I'm not a speciesist in any sense.Whether it is a dog,cat,rat,whatever,in my eyes it's all equal.
I have respect for all life.

It was just it was his puppy,was inhumanely treated (covered in oil,fed ALiVE to a malnourished snake),his snake,also inhumanely treated.
You can read a bit about it here (click the link): Interested-Participant

Mice (pinkie to adult),Rats (same),guinea pigs,hamsters,gerbils,rabbits,fish,lizards (especially geckos),bugs,birds...theres a lot of food items that are fed to various snakes.

I was appaled of not only his mistreatment of the puppy..finding out it was HiS puppy he did it to...to feed to HiS malnourished snake.

Clarifying that.

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I agree too, I was thinking the same thing. I don't know, I could go on for a long time supposing about this type of double-standard. Emotional connections to dogs run deeper than those to chickens for most of the western world. The methodical slaughter of animals in factories is "humane", whereas live feeding is not. It's cruel to kill and eat a dog, but no one thinks twice about cows and pigs.

We're desensitized to certain types of death as a culture, but I try not to value the life of one animal over another. It's hard to see things in perspective sometimes.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:17 AM

I agree,as I said above,it was his method & mistreatment of both his pets that peeved me off to no end.

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:22 AM
Part of the Pack

Man who fed puppy to boa gets 90 days in jail

Another version of the story with comments from both sides.

Pets are always your friend no matter what.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Good link. Thanks!

Lots of good comments, no one seemed to have a reasonable argument as to why it was worse to feed the snake a dog than any other animal.

I don't like that the article doesn't tell us whether his cruelty charge was for the snake, or the puppy. They seized his snake, and the puppy-feeding was an afterthought, but that's what they advertise because that's what will get attention.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 01:24 AM

It's not worse.As I said IMO,I find absolutely everything equal.
It's just both were inhumanely treated...which wasn't ok
To neglect first your pet,then dip your dog in cooking oil to feed your other pet...thats
not the most humane thing to do

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 02:20 AM
Part of the Pack

The cruelty charge was for what though? Dipping the puppy in oil? Does cooking oil hurt a snake? How did they know the snake was malnourished? I know nothing about snakes.

I will defer my opinion on this one until I get more facts.

Pets are always your friend no matter what.

Tags
animal abuse, animal cruelty, animal shelter, animal shelters, dog owners, guinea pig, pet owner, pet rats, pit bull, snake food