Puppy Mills - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Puppy Mills

Many now knows about puppy mills, there are still many people un-aware...but fortunatly it is getting out more.Most pet store puppies are "produce" from puppy mills.Here are a couple of news stories I have found.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-puppymill.htm

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...51_2?hub=WFive

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Crazy Woman Driver

thanks for the info

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Caroline
( Just two of my many alter egos )

I
my new job and my girls, Polly puss cat
and Isis puss cat

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 07:46 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Puppy Mills are WRONG!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

http://www.petstorecruelty.org/

That's a site for petland. I don't think there are any petlands in Canada but in the US it's a franchise that is really bad in the treatment of their animals. If you go to the petstore hall of shame on the left hand side, theres a lot of stories of people buying dogs from there. There are even some stories and people that bought mice and rats.

*Missy*
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I think pet stores should team up with SPCA's.
Then the pets from the spca will get adopted out...
seems a lot of people buy from pet stores & not enough people visit shelters!!
Puppy Mills =EViL!
Save a life, get a shelter dog!

Thanks for posting!!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
I think pet stores should team up with SPCA's.
Then the pets from the spca will get adopted out...
seems a lot of people buy from pet stores & not enough people visit shelters!!
Puppy Mills =EViL!
Save a life, get a shelter dog!

Thanks for posting!!
There is a pet store opening here really soon!I cannot wait!It is a good one! I think it is spose to open this fall...so any day now!

It is called "Petcetera" and they won't be selling animals (that I know of,in their ad...it said they wouldn't)only supplies...BUT they will feature dogs and cats from shelters and rescues that need to be adopted.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Playful Pup

Candy,
That's a GREAT idea! Fortunately, PetsMart is in on that idea.. I believe PetCo does it as well.. but they still sell other types of pets when there are many, many out there in rescues or in shelters because people don't research before they buy. :-/ Puppy mills are horrible, they treat thier animals like crap, and they get WAY too much money for them. A $1500 dog in a pet store from a puppy mill goes for $300 in the newspaper from a local breeder/pet owner who is more responsible and truthful to thier adopters than any pet store would ever be...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKritter
Candy,
That's a GREAT idea! Fortunately, PetsMart is in on that idea.. I believe PetCo does it as well.. but they still sell other types of pets when there are many, many out there in rescues or in shelters because people don't research before they buy. :-/ Puppy mills are horrible, they treat thier animals like crap, and they get WAY too much money for them. A $1500 dog in a pet store from a puppy mill goes for $300 in the newspaper from a local breeder/pet owner who is more responsible and truthful to thier adopters than any pet store would ever be...
We don't have Petco or Petland in Newfoundland.The only chain pet store we have is Pets Unlimited.There are 2 stores here,a small version that sells only a few animals and NO puppies and then the larger,more horrible store that sells puppy mill dogs.It is sad to go in there and so I boycott them.My mom's friend's friend bought a crazy priced pug there and now is paying even more on vet bills for the rest of the dog's life...

* Lisa *

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 11:28 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
There is a pet store opening here really soon!I cannot wait!It is a good one! I think it is spose to open this fall...so any day now!

It is called "Petcetera" and they won't be selling animals (that I know of,in their ad...it said they wouldn't)only supplies...BUT they will feature dogs and cats from shelters and rescues that need to be adopted.
I CANNOT WAIT for that store!!

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Rodentologist

Also, just to add, I know that so many people are against puppy and kitten mills, but stores like Petco and Petsmart buy ALL their small animals from small animal mills that are just as bad, if not worse.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

There was a petcetera here that was horrible. When it first opened it was a great petstore because it was more like a warehouse and the prices were cheap and they had so much to choose from. Before that opened the only petstore around here was a mom and pop shop and pets n stuff (petland).
Petcetera (the one here anyway) sells birds, small reptiles and rodents. It used to be really bad..so many rats in a cage that they were piled on top of each other, but it's not like that now. It looks like they cleaned up their act. I went in a few weeks ago, and it didnt stink, and the cages were really clean. Also I couldn't believe the prices on their marchioro cages!!

*Missy*
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 09:04 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Jenn: Any Animal Mills are bad to the animals, no matter what mill it is. They just breed animals continually and don't breed for good qualities like Health, Behavior (etc) just breeding for a certain animal. One of our shelters had to dispose of OVER a thousand animals in this month alone, most b/c they did not want the responsibility of the animal, had allergies and brought the pet to be put down.

There are too many mills, backyard breeding and breeders. I think I heard that there maybe a new law coming here to get the backyard breeding to stop. Maybe a lower cost spay and neutering solution to lower incomes maybe in works *fingers crossed*

Missy:
OMGOSH!!
OH that is BAD!! The one opening her is saying no pets, just supplies and helping local shelters with adoptable animals.

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Last edited by GeishaGirl; 10-06-2006 at 09:07 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yep,I am aware of the small animal mills as well.I found out thru a woman I know who works at one of the pet stores,she is like one of the FEW decent employees...well she told me the rats,hammies,mice,gerbils,bunnies...etc! come from a company called "Mirdo" who breed just to supply the pet stores.

Also we asked the employees in ANOTHER pet store and they said the same thing,the animals come from "Mirdo".

I got a rat from Pet City a long time ago,Sterling and well she lived 7months and was on meds her whole life.She had a RI,outter ear infection/mass,lice and a tumor.Poor girl.She was miserable.It broke my heart to have to take her to the vet alot,as she hated going to the vet.My vet is very gentle and loves the rats,but poor Sterling only trusted me and would freak out when other people were touching her and so she got so stressed when she went to the vet.She was 7 months old and was losing weight and just evry miserable,so I planned to have her euthanized.It was kind of ironic,as the day I set to bring her in to be euthanized,she died here at home.It was sad,but I knew she was better off.

Sterling was a "Mirdo" rat...

But anyway...the Petcetera that is coming here said they WON'T be selling animals.They will only be selling supplies and will be featuring animals from shelters/rescues that need homes.

* Lisa *

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 02:38 AM
Naked Dog Mom

I am ashamed to say that Ein is a Petland puppy, purchased the day of the store's grand opening.

I interviewed for a job with the company. The swore up and down that they corporation was very strict about where stores could purchase their dogs from. If any store was caught purchasing from a puppy mill or mistreating their animals, they would lose the right to be called a petland. I never did get a job with them (too many people applied, not enough positions), but I did go the day they opened, and saw Ein. I'd wanted a corgi for ages, so I begged and pleaded with Lucas, who eventually decided to buy him for me.

If our local Petland purchases puppy mill dogs, they also fooled one of the best vet hospitals in town. We still use the same vet that they do and the first vet we saw there said that they carefully investigated the company before deciding to agree to do vet care for them.

I honestly don't know whether or not my local petland purchases puppy mill puppies, but I certainly hope they don't. I would never intentionally support a puppy mill. The only thing that makes me feel better is that this vet's office (who had enough faith to agree to work with them) is WONDERFUL and that if some of their other dogs come from mills, i don't think corgis do. I go there often to play with the puppies. There was almost a full year period where they didn't have a single puppy because the breeder they used didn't have any available to them (or at least that's what I was told when I commented that I hadn't seen a corgi in ages).

I will never buy from a petstore again, because I do not want to accidently support a puppy mill, but I admit that I do not regret purchasing Ein. Even though he's grumpy sometimes, I just can't picture not having him.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 02:55 AM
Naked Dog Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
The site has a link to go to to see if your puppy's breeder really is licensed with the USDA, and Ein's breeder is on the list (under class A). I feel comfort in the fact that his breeder is licensed, but the site mentions that the USDA is pretty lenient, so I'm not sure how much comfort to really take.

I am just happy that he is healthy and happy. And I will not buy from a petland again. It's just not worth the risk.

I did a websearch on the breeder, like the site suggested and found an obituary from 2005 saying that a the guy's death was preeceed by his father Charles Ray Brown (Ein's breeder). So I searched for brown corgi breeder havana arkansas and found that a lady (his wife?) runs the place now. Address matches the address that I pulled up from the USDA records. Here's the listing I found: http://www.vibclub.com/find-a-pet/de...02282012399485

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004

Last edited by corgimom; 10-09-2006 at 03:06 AM.

Tags
ear infection, local shelter, pet owner, pet store, pet stores, puppy mill, puppy mills, vet care