Racism! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Racism!

Unfortunately I had to sell my house recently and move into an apartment complex I've been in before. They do allow dogs but under 30lbs. My dog is 60 and looking at her you can see she is part Pit. In all the years before living in this complex and seeing others with Large breeds, NO ONE ever said a thing!! Until now! We got a letter in the mail and a fine. It's not final if we can stay and just keep paying the fine, I won't know until next week. But my husband made it VERY clear we will not give our Lady up! So in the mean time I searched for pet friendly apartments (should of done that in the first place) And they all have BREED RESTRICTIONS! So I called and inquired - I said my dog is 60lbs, and honestly I don't know what she is, shes a mutt. I said the pound said a Terrier mix -and that was enough-NO TERRIER MIX at all they said.

What are my rights with my apartment now?? Shes the BEST dog I ever had, the neighbors love her-the ones who see her. She goes out odd hours of the day, we clean up after her! What about saying to new places what she is?? Any tips? I posted pics to see for yourselves. One friend said "no way is she pit", others jump back at the sight of her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lady3.JPG (47.5 KB, 45 views)

Mom to: Petunia & Meranda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our new addition Lady!!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I do see how people could say shes a pitt.. poor thing, she looks really sweet. As for help with the apartment, i have no idea, we had to wait nearly a year to bring tanner home, cuz we were living in an apartment with a 30lbs limit on dogs, and i know some of those dogs living there over 30pounds! they might not have been when the people moved in, maybe they were puppies at the time, but now they are. Luckily Tanner was able to stay with his mom until we found a house. The guy that moved in to the apartment next to us had to give up his dog cuz she weighed 36pounds! 6 pounds over the limit.. i think thats rediculas, his parents were willing to keep his dog for him, but i swear when he told us that he looked like he was about to cry, he said hes been with that dog since the day it was born and never spent a night apart. it was sad

My Furry Family
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Good luck. I would probably call her a boxer mix when approaching potential apartments. You might pull it off with her head shape and lean body.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I don't see the pit in her. Her face is different. I agree with Jade. She does look like a boxer mix. My neighbor has a boxer and looks similar to your baby.
Good luck though.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

I have to agree with Jade as well, to me she lookes like a Boxer

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I thought boxer as well. Very best of luck to you!

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 06:33 PM
RAT ADDICT

She is really sweet looking!
I have no advice,but maybe you could pull it off if you said she is a boxer mix.Good luck!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 07:02 PM
can't think of one, help

what about simply saying she's a mixed breed of many breeds
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

You can tell she is sweet by just looking at her face in that picture! I don't think it's fair that they judge the dog by the breed. I bet my 18 pound dachshund has way more attitude than Lady does.
I agree - insist she is a boxer.
Good luck!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlebunnies2 View Post
what about simply saying she's a mixed breed of many breeds
That could work too.
Just say she is a mix and you have no idea what is in her.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My husband and I live in a townhouse complex. At our place all the pets have to go meet the manager to show they aren't aggressive. Maybe your manager would be willing to meet Lady! My neighbors have 2 large dogs. One is a pit bull I think. You could also try to get your neighbors to vouch for Lady. I really hope you guys don't have to move just because of a weight limit. You could also try suggesting an extra deposit. Try to find out what the main objection is. If it's aggression, show how friendly she is. If it's possible damage, offer a larger deposit. I think my little Harvey is more destructive than any big dog though... and my parents' dachshund pups ate their bathroom floor. Hang in there and good luck!

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Playful Pup

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately, the animal shelter staff where I volunteer sees this situation a lot. If your lease states no dogs over a certain weight than your landlord is within their rights. If your dog were a couple of pounds over the weight restriction you might have an argument, but 30 pounds over is pretty hefty. I'm not saying I agree with your landlord, just that if they have this in writing you have a problem. Have you checked the municipal ordinances regarding breed specific restrictions? Each municipality usually has its own animal control ordinances. Have pit or pit mixes been banned by the state?

I agree Lady looks as though she could be a boxer mix or a dane mix. Terrier and terrier mixes tend to be hyper and can be destructive, which is probably why a lot of the landlords don't want to rent to people who have them. How old is lady? Is she crate trained? Does she have her Good Canine Citizen certificate? If she's crate trained and has gone through basic obedience you can present that information to your landlord or future landlords.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you ALL! I feel a lot better hearing what you all think of her.

We still have to wait till next week or so to find out what the current manager has to say

Then we'll take it from there. I'll keep you all posted. I figure as long as I'am determined not to let anyone take her from us, how ever it works out it will be fine since she will be with me!!

Mom to: Petunia & Meranda

And our new addition Lady!!:
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Adolescent Pup

A mixed breed is just that. If someone says that they can see a certain breed prevalent in the mix you can get 10 people to say the opposite.
In my opinion mixed breeds are “melting pots” usually imitating all the good from their mix bred dispositions.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Oily Chickenspew

she's really cute hope you find ppl that are accepting.

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail

Tags
animal control, animal shelter, bull terrier, bully breeds, crate trained, dog park, mixed breed, mixed breeds, older dog, pit bull, pit bulls, terrier mix