Rat Poisen found pet food! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Exclamation Rat Poisen found pet food!

Here is the latest from this morning about the pet food recall
Rodent poison found in tainted pet food - Yahoo! News

Here is the other thread about the recall..
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f95/c...ood-40281.html

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

geez thats crazy.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 03:37 PM

LAME..there's lots of stuff happenin lately to pet food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

all the pet food recalls scare the crap outta me.. there was a woman on the news last night crying, saying she feels so guilty cuz her dogs sick and shes the one thats been feeding it, so of course she feels responsible.. i think its horrible.. why dont they inspect dog food as well as they do people food? Has anyone on this site been effected by the recalls? i hope everyones pets are ok .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 05:03 PM

This really annoys me. They have an obligation, in my opinion, to ensure that their ingredient suppliers are following safe pesticide management practices. Pesticide residues in foods (if it is indeed due to treatment of the wheat, which was supposedly imported - that pesticide is banned in the US). This is a hot button issue in human foods; it's just as important here. Imagine if this was baby food! Equally stringent testing standards should be imposed.

Nutro "natural" choice, bah. Product labeling is just as misleading in animal foods as it is in human foods. Aminopterin is a folic acid derivative, so ya, it's natural - by all means use products treated with all kinds of "natural" pesticides. Of course, rotenone is technically OK in organic farming, so is pyrethrum and copper sulfate. I'm just saying they should be testing the darned crops for residues before use in the food, whether it's for humans or animals.

Imagine how contaminated these crops must have been for an individual food sample, after all that processing, to be to be 40 ppm. And, is this stuff sprayed on? I've never heard of rodent control via spraying, but then again I'm not used to dealing with rodents in fields.

Sorry for the long post, I'm pretty annoyed - I had 24 packages waiting to feed my cats. I'm practically in tears thinking about what was close to happening to me and what has happened to others. I feel so very badly for them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 05:53 PM

I just read something else that said aminopterin is not a folic acid derivative, which is what the first article I read said, but a folic acid antagonist. This new article says it's a synthetic pesticide...hmmmm. I'm going to have to refresh my memory on labeling requirements when things are labeled "natural".
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my dog ate rat poison once, it was in my dads shop left over from when my grandpa lived there, luckily i was there and had to scoop it out of his mouth and made him throw up

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

and please, if there is no recalls, be careful where you buy the food from and check for holes in the bag.
I worked briefly at a pet shop that had a wild mouse infestation because of the next door restaurant. The mice would eat a lot of bags of food, so the owner had rat poison EVERYWHERE in the store, behind food bags, on top of shelves etc. There would be melted rat poison on the food bags, and they would sell bags opened by mice with a rebate.
The food we fed the cats and dogs at the shop were those opened bags and it wasn't rare to find green poops meaning the mice pooped poison in the food bags.
Check the bags at your pet store! make sure there are no holes, and they are clean!!

Tags
dog food, folic acid, human food, pet food, pet food recall