Reason's to adopt rather than buy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Reason's to adopt rather than buy

These are a few videos I would like to share. They are graphic.

Petstore Investigation

http://brightlion.com/InHope/InHope.aspx

http://www.spotsociety.org/fatedog.html

http://www.spotsociety.org/fatecat.html

I think sometimes we forget all the suffering that goes on in the world. I hope that people take the the time to think about where you are getting your pets from. Buying from a petstore only supports the breeding and suffering of more animals.

Lab testing

Iams Cruelty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Part of the Pack

It is so sad....some people are so mean and the sad thing is they know its wrong....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
12 bunnies Nanna, Frank, Charlie, Meme, Thumper, Brenda, Fuz, Fezza, Snow, Clyde, Storm, Chip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 dogs, Zeus, Jazy, E-Wok.

Lots and Lots of fish.

Angel my Daughter.

Lucas My Partner.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Still Waiting

That is horrible! Did you read some of the comments that were on the Iams video?! How can people be so cruel?!? This makes me sick, these poor animals do not deserve to suffer like that.

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I was able to read the Iams video because I don't have an account but it is sad with the other videos. I wish people would learn

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Oily Chickenspew

so so sad.... i watched all those videos adn now i want to go and adopt a million animals!! too bad we're not allowed a dog or a cat, i'd at least go and adopt one or the other!!!

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarita2004
so so sad.... i watched all those videos adn now i want to go and adopt a million animals!! too bad we're not allowed a dog or a cat, i'd at least go and adopt one or the other!!!

You don't have to adopt a million animals to help out. You can always help out by educating people. I hand out information packets, pamplets, flyer, etc. whenever I have a chance. I carry things like that in my car, so if I see an animal that needs help, I can give their owner the info right away.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Part of the Pack

Can you believe IAMS? I get so upset every time I see a commercial for their products, where they show happy loved animals. How missleading, more people need to know what IAMS really does to animals. I will never by Iams products.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Oily Chickenspew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
You don't have to adopt a million animals to help out. You can always help out by educating people. I hand out information packets, pamplets, flyer, etc. whenever I have a chance. I carry things like that in my car, so if I see an animal that needs help, I can give their owner the info right away.
yea, true, but i also want to adopt can't wait to live in a diff. apt

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Another thing to remember is that dogs and cats are not the only pets looking for homes. Do a search on petfinder for small animals, reptiles, birds, etc. There are thousands searching for a forever home.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Oily Chickenspew

yea, i pseudo adopted Andy my chin, i know he's got a better home now...i browse the MT section quite often to see if there's anything i can take in and not get in trouble w/our apt managers. I also encourage friends and fam. to adopt

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Will It Ever Change?

thank you so much for sharing this information. It's half of the definition of what I am, what I stand for, what I LIVE for. (the other half being the equivalent for humans). I absolutely adopt over buying, unless the seller is an idiot (see a lot of those). It's SO important to talk about this issue and educate people on the simple things each of you can do to help the victims, and help STOP this ridiculous behavious. The same as bullying at schools. If you see it happening, stand up against it, fight it, use your power as an equal person to demand the situation change. I'm so full of hope and excitement everytime I hear of a success story. I grew up with rescue animals, and like people, they're greatful and loving and great big sucks! Having pets is about also seeing them as creatures bonded to you, they look up to you, look forward to you, rely solely on you for everything they need to survive. I have nightmares when I have to face an evil like the cruelty that animals sometimes endure. Anyways, thanks again for the information, I really hope everyone takes a little time out of their day to read about the hardships animals face.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Wow it's all horrible--I don't even know what to say. It just feels so overwhelming!! Like how do you even make a dent or a difference??

Sadie,Jewel,and Zucco
Minnie
Sweetheart

Plus a proud foster momma to Momma and Mable

Proud foster mom to Naomi
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Playful Pup

That is true, there are many types of pets looking for homes, not just dogs and cats!
Almost all my pets were adopted either from shelters or from people who could not keep them (except my dogs, they were strays.) I have even adopted an African Clawed Frog in the past.

The only animals I have every purchased from a breeder were my rats. I know how many health problems rats have and especially those from pet stores, so I wanted to get them from a good breeder who is breeding for good health to hopefully have rats that lived long healthy lives...unfortunately one of my rats ended up with mammary cancer and heart problems, and the other one had chronic pneumonia (for over a year) which finally she succumbed to.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Will It Ever Change?

YouTube - Breaking Investigation: Pet Smart animal suppliers

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sick, just sick. I don't understand how people could or would work for places like this. The sad thing about it is that some of these people have the nerve to own pets even when they are cruel to animals almost every day just so they can earn a buck. Animal testing is wrong point blank. What if the animals were us and we were them, certainly we wouldn't want to be treated like that....sorry for the rant, just disgusts me to know people do things like this.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue

Tags
african clawed, african clawed frog, clawed frog, pet store, pet stores