should i still take it? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

should i still take it?

I was considering a job at PetsMart and I had even put in an application. But after all of the things I've been hearing, I kinda don't know if it would be right. Should I still go for it? What would you do in my situation? Are all stores the same? Or does it depend on the employees?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet Parent to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i dunno, you can work there adn try and do your personal best. go with your gut instinct

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Mel
Cardboard Chef

I think it depends on the store. Yes, I have heard numerous horror stories, but my local Petsmart is pretty good. Will you be working in a high volume store in a mall complex? Or one a little farther out of the way, with less customers. The high volume ones seem to only care about $$$$$$, while the ones farther out seem to be staffed by people who WANT to come to work, who care about what they're doing.

This is only my honest opinion, and I have never been to Petsmart outside of TN. *shrug*

Newton 9.9.04 - Stella 5.24.06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

not all the stores are owned by the same person for one... its a francise like mcdonalds and pizza hut... so there is a large difference between stores.. If you go and dont like it, then quit

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well, it's has it's own building but it's located in a shopping center. i noticed that they feed alternate the food between fresh veggies, alfafa and pellets for the hamsters. they give the reptiles real insects. and there aren't usually many fish in one talk. there's like maybe ten fish in a tank. i think it's like 25 gallons.

i see a new face everytime i go there and they're always hiring if that means anyting.

Pet Parent to:

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i agree with what Mulder said...you can work there and do your personal best.
Not all stores are bad..it does depend on the employees and management...i dont think anyone can say that every PetsSmart is bad..and some people dont have much choice where they shop to get supplies. Like me i usually get my stuff from there but also online once in a while. The mom and pop store here is worse than Petsmart and Petco..very dirty and very expensive. And hey, you need to work right.? Its a personal decision and you might even make the place a better place to be for the animals with any knowledge and experience you have. Like mentioned by someone...you can always quit if you dont like it.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i think i'll go for it. i just hate to see an animal die. call me a softie but it makes me angry when i know that the death was a result of negligence

Pet Parent to:

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnature
Its a personal decision and you might even make the place a better place to be for the animals with any knowledge and experience you have. Like mentioned by someone...you can always quit if you dont like it.

Rhonda

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 03:08 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Go for it! Who knows maybe you can change things for the better!

Time Spent With Pets Is Never Wasted!

MONTY

MOLLIE

.....BOB

COMET, PLUTO & SANTOS
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 04:38 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

try it out it can't hurt if you have to quit cuase you don't agree with the way they treat thier animals then let them now thats why before you leave.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 04:41 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

be nice about it i mean .... say something like
i have to leave cause this job makes me depressed
and then when the manager (or if ) asks why explain what you have a problem with
that way they wont think your attacking them personally but that you are having trouble with the situation.
but this might not even happen
you probably will find its a great place to work and be glad you got a job there
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 04:57 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah you can only try and find out what it's like, if you don't like it or you don't agree with it then leave, but if you feel like you could make a difference then I'm sure it'll be worth it!

Mama to -

Rabbit - Sooty

Big Sister to -
Squinick
//
Twinkle // Kelly
//
Pink-Winged Sticks! // Fishies!

To those we have lost and are forever asleep... we will never forget you and could never replace you, rest in peace
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Part of the Pack

I'd go for it!

My zoo:
The rats: London, Remmy, Butterfly, and Arabella
The guinea pigs: Victor, Augustus, and baby Milo
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Guarded by Waffles

Go for it I say

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 10:11 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Do whatever you feel is best for you.

Tags
pet store