"Spay or Pay" Law in effect in California - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

"Spay or Pay" Law in effect in California

News Article

This is my feedback that I posted:

I am very happy to hear the government is taking a step towards reducing the pet population, however, I think pet owners should have to purchase a license to breed. Thereafter, the pet should only be allowed a certain number of births per life span per pet. Breed should not matter, as mixed breed dogs and cats are crutial to the population. Just because an animal is a pure breed does not mean that it's owner will be a responsible pet parent, nor does it mean it's owner will be a responsible breeder. Generally speaking mixed breed dogs and cats have less health and genetic problems than pure breeds do. This has to be taken into consideration as well. We need to focus on how to fix the problem as a whole, not on how to cover it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:46 PM

I tend to agree, I don't live in America but I think spaying/neutering is a worldwide issue that all animal lovers need to address.

In our area here in London [UK] we get so many dumped cats it's unbelievable...

There's no excuse over here either, people on welfare/benefits are entitled to free vet care! Some people are just plain negligent. I wish we had animal cops like they do in Miami (haha, got to love Discovery Animal Planet!)

I think all governments should provide incentives to spay/neuter though, so then people can stop using money as an excuse not to neuter their pets.

That's just my [probably irrelevant] thoughts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Leo

I was just talking to my husband last night about wishing they would make a law similar to this. I hope they bring something similar to MI.

The actual bill can be read here (and is actually a really good read):AB 1634 Assembly Bill - Bill Analysis

After reading the entire bill I honestly do not think that the people supporting this law are out to slam mixed breed dogs as inferior to pure bred dogs, they are not making this law for just mixed breeds, it actually would apply to pure bred dogs as well (their title to that article was misleading IMO), the creators of the bill are trying to help control the pet population and it has to start somewhere doesn't it? Why should mixed breed animals breed? IMO purposely breeding a mixed breed animal is not breeding to better the breed, it is breeding to create more babies which we do not have enough homes for.

I like the part in the bill that tells about which animals would be issued intact permits (located on the 1st page in the summary #4 on the bill) IMO It would pretty much ensure that people are producing healthy animals, BYB's and mills would become a thing of the past.

This law would be very beneficial all around... to the tax payers wallet as well as public safety from roaming intact animals who are more likely to attack than an altered animal. It's also beneficial to animals who will reap the health benefits of spaying or neutering. In the long run less animals will be put to sleep, because less animals will be produced.

The only thing I would add to the bill would be some type of state program that would offer free or low-cost spays/neuters based on income.

Last edited by Leo; 06-04-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:54 PM

Great!! This is stuff I like to hear!!
Spaying& neutering is very important.
It ticks me off when people don't even do that much for the pet they take in.
I think the cost do deter some people,but I know of some people (4 in my town actually) that probably wouldnt spay or neuter if it was free!

It shouldn't be an option,it should be law.
You have the pet,spay& neuter

Great post!!

Last edited by candyraver; 06-04-2007 at 02:56 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Part of the Pack

The ones who would break this law, breeders who breed for dog-fighting, people who would dump, how does it catch them? The dogs aren't licensed anyway.

If you don't license the pet, how will the government know? I don't see it doing much. Just my opinion.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I think it's a good law except there's one problem...the kinds of people who are backyard breeding are not going to let laws stop them =/.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
I think it's a good law except there's one problem...the kinds of people who are backyard breeding are not going to let laws stop them =/.
Hmm,that is a good point
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Curmudgeon

I think it's a great law, way overdue. I think you need to get harsh with people over this issue. Pet ownership is a privilege, NOT a right.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 04:48 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
I think it's a great law, way overdue. I think you need to get harsh with people over this issue. Pet ownership is a privilege, NOT a right.

bob
Well stated.I agree 100%.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

I agree-- very very good law and extremely overdue. On the other hand, without having to license your pet somehow- backyard breeding is still going to be an issue. Pure bred or not.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Curmudgeon

There needs to be some 'teeth' in the law to discourage backyard breeding. Better enforcement and mandatory fines for a first offense, and and some jail time for repeat offenders....

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:06 AM

You're lucky in America though, at least your animal welfare teams have some legal power. The RSPCA can't do much but *sometimes* confiscate an animal (in extreme circumstances).

I'm not saying I don't appreciate their work, I just wish they could have more rights to lock these AHs up who do these things.

Makes me so angry.

Tags
animal lover, animal lovers, animal planet, animal welfare, breed dogs, mixed breed, mixed breeds, pet owner, pure bred, vet care