They gave their rodents fresh veggies! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

They gave their rodents fresh veggies!

I went to petsmart today I really didn't wanna go there but my boyfriend insisted that we just go and at least look around. Well when I was looking at their rodents all the cages had fresh carrots and the lady that cleaned the cages was playing with a rattie and let her ride around the store on her shoulder. It was pretty cool to see that esp. where I am from since most rodents are in poor condition while at petstores.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 02:56 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

thats so great to hear. some pet stores are really good like that. which is why it really bothers me when people talk bad about a chain as a whole. each store is different, and it all depends on who works there.. heh mini rant there

My Furry Family
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:10 AM
rae
Adolescent Pup

yeah theres a pet store by me and there was a guy who worked there who loved rodents and often animas not even brought from there would be dumped some ba***rd actually dumped a gerbil and hid it behind a shelf with stuff on when they found it the gerbil was nearly dead, anyway to cut it short he ended up rehoming all unwanted unsold gerbs n ratties it depends on the person who works at the store when i got my goos i got lodsa bad advice only when signed up here im actually gettin good advice lol theres my rant grr!!!! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my pet smart has carefresh for all their rodents and yesterdays news for the birds, and always have fresh fruit and veggies for their rodents, new toys every time i'm there for the birds, and their fish have fruit most of the time in some of the cages. we got help when getting our fish and the lady was sooo helpful and really knew what she was talking about. when we got our rats there the staff came to say goodbye to one of the rats we picked and gave her a kiss i really like that store. our petco isn't bad either

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, both our PetCo and PetsMart are good when it comes to that . Actually, I've found that the chain stores tend to take better care of their animals. Except PetsMart is bad with fish =/.

But maybe that's just here.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

The pet store chains go up and down here. Some take great care of half the animals and some take care of all of them. I guess it depends on the employees.

1 Cat- Luna
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 08:43 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats good!

I happen to know the assistant manager of Petcetera here and she is a fellow rat and bunny owner.Anyway she makes sure the rats and other small animals have fresh veggies,Carefresh and she takes them out when she can.Last mouse I bought there (my li'l Mishka),well she cuddled her and kissed her and said "goodbye" to her before selling her to me!

It really depends on the store and the employees.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

yeah, I wish more petstores would play with the animals they sell.

1 Cat- Luna
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Rodentologist

Sadly, regardless of how well stores take care of their animals, they're still coming from small animal mills. The animals are backbred repeatedly until they die and the babies sold for profit. Vet care isn't given, and they only get the very basics. Most of these animals remain in tiny, cramped cages until they're bred to death.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

Yeah thats true for the most part. but i know an owner of a petstore who's animals come from private breeders. I use to actually breed my fancy mice for her. So I know theirs don't come from a mill, how ever not every petstore is the same.

1 Cat- Luna
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 06:44 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree not all pet stores are the same.
There is a small one here that is owned by a breeder of schnauzers.He is also a dog trainer.He is nice,he often donates things to Beagle Paws!! Also they don't sell many animals and the animals they do get come from people's unwanted animals,like an unplanned litter.They do NOT get their animals from mills,except the fish.The store is called "Critters & Things" and it is the ONLY one.

* Lisa *

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

yea chain pet stores get all their animals from breeders. In the US almost all of the rodents and birds come from the same mill. They ship them all across the country.

*Missy*
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 08:42 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats like here.MOST of the stores here get their small animals and birds from a place called "Murdo" or something.It is a big mill.

* Lisa *

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Part of the Pack

What Jennicat said.

give your love no matter what.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

We have a pet shop called Pets At Home over here and they are fabulous when it comes to their small animals etc. The rats are all fed pellets and fresh veggies and have toys etc in their cages as do the hammies and degus and chinnies and rabbits have huge open top glass tanks with toys and sleeping quarters etc they also have an adoption center in store where people can take unwanted pets and Pets At Home care for them until they are adopted and then the adoptee just pays a donation for the animal i have adopted a few of my rats from there......and i agree that some shops get their small animals from mills but even still those animals are entitled to a decent life regardless of where they come from at the end of the day they werent asked to be born and it wont ever stop xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!

Tags
beagle paws, fancy mice, pet store, pet stores, vet care