Viewer Discretion (video) -opinions, NOT DEBATE - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Viewer Discretion (video) -opinions, NOT DEBATE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-s6q6NmCKQ <<<PLEASE BE AWARE THIS VIDEO HOLDS NOTHING BACK!! IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH PLEASE CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!!!!

Not because I want to bring up the topic again but what are your opinions on this video? I found it on a vegan fb's page and the video is not posted publicly. You need the link in order to watch it bc youtube will take it down otherwise.
IMO, its an important video but it has tremendous biases. (****I only watched it until a minute!! But I know what these vids are like) it comes from a group called Mercy for Animals http://www.mercyforanimals.org/ Which I have no affiiation with, and I have never looked on their site until today. I don't know what kind of investigations they do and based on this video and the people posting on it its a peta-breed aimed at sensationalizing events rather than sharing proper ratios and stats and facts. I do not condone peta in any way and I think over the good they do for animals they do it in all the wrong ways and portray someone with a conscious like me in the wrong way. Everytime someone finds out I'm a vegetarian they assume I love peta -_- I could call peta out on MANY matters but I won't. To each their own. . .

Anyway, this group did up a peta type video. Narrated by a celebrity and shows shocking undercover factory farming footage.
I could only watch until a minute into it with a farmer standing on a pig. I turned it off but since its valid to my beliefs I decided to share it. I stopped eating meat when I was 14 based on images that this video shows and videos. Now, my problem is, since I cannot watch it I'm stuck making a biased opinion on it....
This video portrays farms in the USA. Since the USA designed this method of farming in approximately the 1920's when they realised animals could be raised indoors in a factory like way to produce more and more the humanity went down. It is impossible to care properly for so many animals and when the animals are only meant to be produced then killed the treatment of them is downgraded. The very thought of factory farming is cruel, not just the act. **Tidbit of info for the history buffs- Hitler designed his ghetto's based on factory farms in America**

While this was filmed in America, using footage of a couple workers, is this a biased film?? Can one justify its means if it causes many other people to make a change? Apparantly one of the workers from the video is in jail now doing time. This does not mean that all farms treat its animals this way and it does not mean that all farms are this bad.
I could only watch it until about a minute in, so I have no real opinion. But I have seen video's before and loving animals they made me cry and want to do something. I stopped eating meat. My boyfriend eats meat and says he will not stop but he will not watch something like this, he saw the link in my browser and asked wtf?

I guess, the point of these videos is geared at people willing to succumb to the horrors and absolute gore of these videos as a justification of why they dont eat meat, or don't eat it from factory farms. Unfortunately, they say that if everyone in the civilized world realised that factory farming is bad and home raised their animals for food there would be enough food for everyone on earth. I think its too far gone, IMO, that humans have created factory farms out of greed and desire to have more and more rather than share with the world. Humans cannot live now without factory farms if they want to eat meat. There are simply too many humans on earth now, science keeps us alive for about 100 years and with more and more production of humans there will always be the existance of these awful awful farms. Pretty soon, as it is in some parts of New York and Toronto, humans will be living in shady cramped conditions.. Human factory farms. What do we produce? Our labour... Think about that. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:16 PM
is a little "special"

I'm not even going to watch it (I don't need to see it to know whats in it, at this point) but videos like that are what convinced me to be vegetarian. Its SO sad and horrible, and all those poor animals look so scared.

Didn't know that Hitler based his camps after factory farms. That, right there, says something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Adolescent Pup

Its just sick, very sick!! I would like someone todo what they did to the poor animals but twice as bad!!!
Im glad that one off them is behind bars, but its not enough!! I know they are meant for us, but they should ALWAYS be treated with the respect and dignity they ALL deserve!! And all this c*** that there too many animals too look after, we are trying our best.........they should do things differently, so they DONT do this too the animals, like get DESENT PEOPLE for starters!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

That makes me want to puke. Its so horrible. I don't even have the words..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

I dont know for sure, but within 5-10 years of every factory farm closing if ALL the animals were put into sanctuaries rather then culled we'd still be in the same position with greenhouse gases and no room and over crowding etc. . . The only difference would be that they get to finally breathe fresh air and see the sun. Unfortunately, if all factory farms closed within 5-10 years of each other there would be too many animals for comfortable living and they would most likely have to be killed. Bleak. . . Oh, humans. How upsetting is that?!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Killing and caging animals this way is very barbaric!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

I agree. I feel bad for the chickens next door for having too small an enclosure!! lol I would have made it most of the yard! lol, but they have a kingdom compared to factory farmed hens. The neighbor collects their eggs daily and gives us some! they range in size and have a fuller flavour. They all are socialized and like being pet by humans and make silly sounds when they hear us! they can move their wings, huddle together to preen and they have perching sticks and leaves and everything they need.

I agree, I do not like caging animals in something that makes them miserable. In the UK there is a group dedicated to buying chickens from factory farms and raising them as pets. They come in with no feathers or color to what's left they're swollen and scarred and have never seen the sun. It's awful the pictures are. There's a female that was left blind :/
It's not just chickens though. . . People are more willing to keep chickens though because of the low maintenance. http://greenfield.fortunecity.com/ga...tteryhens.html

Again, I just wanted to expose this video bc 1. It's unlisted on youtube and 2. People need to have an argument for why they choose to eat meat or not and this is part of my argument.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Part of the Pack

honestly, i don't think you need to justify your reasons for eating whatever you want. If someone asks you why that's one thing, if they judge you without asking so be it. Plenty of people are vegetarian for health reasons alone.

may i recommend a documentary to you that may be a bit easier to stomach? http://www.freshthemovie.com/

this movie explains in great detail, and very little bias why the current industrial farming going on has such a negative long term impact. And it also helps the causes. some of the things you will see will disturb you but, it will also give you ideas for proactive ways to help. it's a lot more empowering than i think that video was.

i am a carnivore and proud of it! lol, i did watch the video all the way through. It was horrible, but i am doing what i can to make these practices more humane.

Also one of the things a lot of these videos forget to mention is that the same people who harvest your veggies own these horror houses. And how many wild animals and habitats are damaged by mass vegetable farming and pesticides. Please watch this movie, everyone should see it.

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Part of the Pack

I watched it all the way through as well. It's stomach turning and very sad to see how those involved have become so desensitized to the animals.

I have an appreciation of what is giving me nourishment. From plants to the animals that I eat. I need to work on my education of where it's all coming from so that my monetary support is going to who I feel is most humane and ethical.

I was recently bothered by seeing a roasted pig set up for decoration... Most of my coworkers attending were horrified to see a whole cooked pig instead of a pile of pulled meat. For me it was just a reminder how wasteful humans can be.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

I work now in a grocery store and there are people willing to buy pretty discusting parts of animals. There are, without judgement, Asians who most often buy Swine Hocks.. . I wondered what this was and examined it while ringing it through to discover a hock is a flippin PIG NOSE!! I almost got sick, but at least the hocks are not wasted. I do not care if people eat meat, my boyfriend eats it but I am concerned that people be aware of what they are consuming. I will watch the second documentary, thanks Destroyah! It would be nice if everyone raised up their own meat for slaughter but factory farms exist so people are trained in desensitization and preparation for production on a mass scale to feed hundreds of thousands of people at once. I find it gross and people who want to be persuaded to buy organic and humanely treated meat will do so while the majority of people will not based on price (mostly) and convenience. Factory farmed meat contains such hormones and chemicals which alter a humans own system. Low quality and the cheapest of cheap meats (pack of hot dogs at 2$) alter emotions, I have seen examples of this all over the board. It is not right. As for the farms which produce veggies and also meat- I would like to see examples of that because I was not aware of it actually. The chicken rearing house in my city is up on the highway somewhere and the slaughterhouse is kinda close to my house they only have the resources to raise and slaughter chickens and unfortunately a couple years ago their waste sludge management thing broke or malfunctioned and all the grease and grime slid out into the lake it borders. A slaughterhouse produces so much slop and slime that the surrounding lands cannot fortify veggies- I would assume. The environment suffers from the waste slaughterhouses produce I cannot imagine veggies which would flourish in the lands around a slaughterhouse. It would not surprise me if you produced pictures but I did not know. Hmm.