Wal-mart employee begs public to contact PETA - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Wal-mart employee begs public to contact PETA

I was at Wal-mart this week picking up some fish supplies and I noticed a dead fish in one of the aquariums. I said to the employee cleaning out one of the tanks "I see that you are busy, but I wanted to let you know that you have a dead fish over here when you get a chance" and he looked up with tears in his eyes and opened up to me about how he is the only employee that he sees ever on the log book for the live fish aquariums as far as feeding or cleaning and he only works a handful of days here and there. He said that his managers don't want him taking time to care for the fish but would rather he stock shelves. He showed me the log book where 221 fish had died within 6 days and then pointed at all the floaters in the other tanks I had not yet seen. He was an older fellow and he said "I need this job and I can't do anything because I'm afraid to be fired but someone needs to call PETA. Please call PETA. This is a horrible senseless waste of life." So I am going to call and I hope you do the same. I cannot give out the information on this particular Wal-mart location because of my compassion for this poor employee but from what I have leatned in the past few days, most Wal-mart aquariums have similar stories so make a quick visit to your local Wal-mart if you need specifics to call with. Thank you for caring about innocent lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Betta Bomb

Peta will do little probably. They've been after Walmart for years as far as I know and they wont target specific locations generally either. You need to get at Wal Mart head office to get them to stop selling live animals for profit without regard for animal safety or welfare. Peta will only bide time sensationalizing the issue for maximum profit- Head Office of Wal Mart is essential.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

PETA is not the route to go. i tell people that are looking at their fish before employee's come that their fish are normally known for having ich and can ruin a whole fish tank. Plus parents getting a fishy for their kid don't want to deal with the fish dying all the time and not even being able to replace it because its in the water and the other fish will die too

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Hello Earthling

PETA is defiantly not the route to go as the others have said. They'll do little good.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Rodentologist

Walmart has begun phasing out their aquariums in most stores. The new ones being built don't have them, and the older stores are having them removed as they renovate.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 08:21 AM
It's all for them

I agree that peta is not the way to go. Contact the Walmart home office and file a complaint. Get others to do the same.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Betta Bomb

Fortunetly all the Walmart stores in Newfoundland no longer sell live animals. But my opinion comes from seeing the cases only a few years ago as well as knowing that the mainland and the US still insist on maximizing profit. :/
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Headlock

theres no fish in the walmart around me =]

No don't get yourself in situations,
Darling, that you can't handle.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I got 2 of my koi from Walmart. I first got Greg for kicks and then ended up going back to another walmart months later. I looked in their koi tank, and all the fish looked really sick. There were some not moving...I didn't think about how it would affect my other fishies at the time, but I got Nabokov then. Luckily he didn't make my other fish sick, and now he's healthy and happy. It does make me really sad though that with just a little bit of care most of those fish would be fine. Seriously, koi and goldfish are not hard to care for. They're really hardy fish. So to see them so sick there.....ugh. Hopefully it will stop soon. I almost doubt it though, since they do have people like me the first time, getting one for the heck of it, and the second time, getting one because it would have died otherwise. Soooooo lame. I hate you capitalism.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:53 PM
RAT ADDICT

PETA is not the way to go.Call/write/contact the head office.
Most Wal-Marts are changing though as mention and are stopping the sales of live animals.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:01 AM

ATTENTION person who wrote the thread!!!!!!!

Can you please contact me? i'm a journalist dong a story on the inhumane treatment on fish in the aquarium department at walmart and i saw your thread.

CALLING ALL WALMART EMPLOYEES and the person who posted the thread: I am a journalist -- i will provide you with my name and credentials so you can check me out -- and I am looking for a few walmart employees familiar with the pet department to speak to me OFF THE RECORD about the maintenance policies of their aquariums and their pet department.
I can guarantee you anonymity, and i will not ask you specifics about store locations or names of supervisors. please contact me asap! at g p a s q u e at gmail
Thanks
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 05:31 AM
Playful Pup

Poor fishes! I wish they would have time for them by the way they were the ones who disturb them and put them there. I really wish they have proper treatment.

are like potato chips, you really can't have just one…
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Newborn Pup

i agree don't call peta. just let people know the story of how walmart cares for their fish and furthermore just a waste to treat an employee that way someone trying to earn a dollar. Sad!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Old thread, Common story, they never posted again.

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Playful Pup

the walmarts here dont have a full time pet person,, I know because I applied,,, when I live in PA they had 2 ft pet people,, they stocked the shelves and cleaned the tanks,, they were acutually rather knowledgeable,, so it is not all walmarts which is weird for a corporate store,, having that many dead fish is rather common for a large number of fish in a small area,, thats why it is only reccommeded to have 1 in of fish per gallon,.. stores need to overstock the tanks so they have fish to sell its a bad process but it is the law of supply and demand,, I am not condoning their actions just explaining them.

Tags
animal neglect, aquariums, bettas, fish