Walmart... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Angry Walmart...

I went to walmart today, and of course I always go pet section! I dont think Ill be going back there soon tho, cause all the fishies where in horrible condition: All most all the fish had ick, fungus, a parasite, or some other disease. I looked at the black moors, and all but 2 (out of, like, 25) where REALLY skinny. Not to mention there where about 4 dead ones in the tank. The leapord puffers had really bad fungus on their fins and I felt real really bad for them. The bettas only had an inch of water in their cups and on of the customers was acually filling up their cups w/ more water for them! She said "If they're gonna have fish, they should at least take care of them. If these guys where left like this, they would be dead by morning." I agree. I just wish they would stop selling fishies. Ugg...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Me too. My mom got a fish from walmart and it killed our entire tank in about 2 days. It had ick. When she got it it looked fine!

*Missy*
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:12 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have actually had luck with Wal-Mart fish living for yrs.

But complain.

Our Wal-Marts were pretty bad with the fish (one in particular was really horrible).Well me and a few other people complained on more then one occassion to the manager and assistant manager.And then one day we went back and to our suprise the tanks were clean,there was actually some gravel and plants in the tank (before they were totally bare) and I noticed a few tanks with sick fish were being treated and there was a sign saying they could not sell them at that time.
I went back not long ago and they still look pretty decent.ALOT better then before.

So if you make complaints and keep on it,maybe get a few more ppl to complain...they may improve.They did here!

However I still do not think they should sell fish.I mean,the people are not knowlagable.I have TOLD them things before...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

I hate it when stores arent knowlegable about heir animals. I told the petstore at the mall that thier fish had a HUGE parasite on its back (the worm-sticking-out-from-under-the-skin kind) and they said "oh, its just pooping" . OMGsh, it was by its dorsal fin!! Dumb employees dont even know where a fishes butt is, unless butts suddenly migrated upward. I also had to tell petsmart how to care for hermies!

Sorry, Im just really ticked at people and stores who dont care for their pets tonight.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Junior Jouster

My wal-mart is like that as well, i bought a black moor from there and killed my goldfish that i had for 12 years, i felt so bad for him

there are always dead ones floating in the tank and things. They should hire knowledgeable people fo take care of the fish!

Mini Horse: Moose
Mini Donkey: Letty
Potbelly Pig: Bubbles
Nigerian Dwarf Goats: Tidy Whitey, Josie, Elroy
Miniature Schnauzer: Leelo
German Wirehaired Pointer: Cricket
Human: Katie

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:10 AM
laugh often

Our walmart is verry bad with fish. I don't believe they should be able to sell animals but it's not my choice. My mother got some fish from walmart and I ended up with them to my suprise they did quite well one passed away but the other is better than ever.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:25 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I heard that some walmarts are gonna start selling hamsters and gerbils. I remember when Kmart had a pet section like that.

*Missy*
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
I heard that some walmarts are gonna start selling hamsters and gerbils. I remember when Kmart had a pet section like that.
The last thing I wanna here ><

No killing wittle rodents. No its one thing they kill fishies, another they kill rodents.

They need some animal nerd

I have a feeling I'm not in Illinois anymore.

1 hamster
1 Bearded Dragon
R.I.P. Blue, Nikki, Nosey, Hurley, Roxie.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:29 AM

When my walmart first got fish they were horrible.
Totally killed my tanks when I brought fish home.(that was @ the beginning)

The Walmart near me has been a lot better the last few months (however better you can be have fish& especially goldies in those size tanks what are they like 10's? 20's the most? Overcrowded...although I know it's just supposed to be temporarily,but the goldfish they have labelled as "pond fish" is so horribly cramped in those tanks.)
But I mean the tanks are clean (not uncommon to see dead fish though).
All the fish I have are from walmart though.
I had them for awhile.
Same with my aquatic plants.
I also get hermit crabs from there.
(ugh my little cousins got some from there too & my aunt don't have half the things the crabs need& is just like " If they die it's only what...$8?"
Peeves me off.
It's a living creature!! Thats what it is.
It's not money,it's living.

I don't like that walmart sells fishies& such.
But then again I hate when pet stores do as well.
So I don't know how to feel there.
I hate pet stores (as if they know about the animals a lot of the time...it's just a business for a lot).
I feel "better" in Walmart than I would at any pet store near me.
But only because I havent personally experienced an half decent pet store& the walmart I go to (though far from great workers in that section) don't have a high fish illness or death rate.(Some actually like the fish,& tell people that the tanks they are looking at buying isn't suitable for whatever fish ...that makes me happy!)

I agree though...if they are going to carry fish they should at least care for the poor things& give good info.
(Ok,honestly I have yet to hear anyone whether in a pet store or walmart give good info regarding fish) But they should brush up on their knowledge& care!

Last edited by candyraver; 07-12-2007 at 01:34 AM.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
I predict a lot of cannabalism.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:58 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

the wal-marts by me are pretty good...the one my mom works at looks so nice...all the tanks are so clean and the fish look amazing...they hired a team of animal lovers and people knowledgable about fish and other animals (to answer questions) I have bought all my fish there and they have done amazing...but the one on the other side of town is horrid as well...I think it depends on the manager, the more presure you put on them the better things will get...complain to the manager as well as right a letter to the head office...it does work sometimes...I know the wal-marts around here will never sell anything other than fish...I hope none start with other animals or critters...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Theyre gonna sell hammies too?! Its hard enough just to see the fishies suffer... Luckily my walmart doesnt sell hermies. I think Ill email a complaint to the manager or something.

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:56 PM

Not to beat a dead horse with this, but I work in a pet store and not all of them are bad. If I don't know something about a fish or a reptile or any of the animals, I'm not going to lie to the customer to get a sale. I will go find someone that knows about the particular species. Now, if someone doesn't know anything about a chinchilla, they come find me.

Back to the matter at hand. A gentleman came in yesterday looking for a brackish watter puffer. I told them we haven't had any brackish water fish in years and said we had salt, but that's it. He had tried everywhere and I said I know at one point in time Wal-Mart had brackish, but wouldn't buy any fish from there. I've seen the conditions and it breaks my heart. Algae over the tank, a lot of dead fish in the tank, small tanks to begin with...well, you get the point. I honestly don't think chain stores like Wal-Mart, K-Mart or Target should sell any animal, whether it be fish or now like the above poster said, hamsters!
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Quote:
Crazy Chin Lady- Not to beat a dead horse with this, but I work in a pet store and not all of them are bad. If I don't know something about a fish or a reptile or any of the animals, I'm not going to lie to the customer to get a sale. I will go find someone that knows about the particular species. Now, if someone doesn't know anything about a chinchilla, they come find me.
I never said pet stores are bad, its just the ones that dont know anything about their animals! I know some pet & fish stores that take excellent care of their animals. Sorry if I offended you!

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 04:18 PM

Not offended at all. Just saying that I see a lot of people saying bad things about other stores. I don't disagree that a lot of pet stores are garbage. Heck, I could even name quite a few here in Wisconsin that are craptacular.

Tags
african clawed, african clawed frog, african clawed frogs, african dwarf, african dwarf frog, animal lover, animal lovers, clawed frog, clawed frogs, dwarf frogs, hermit crab, hermit crabs, pet store, pet stores