We need your Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

We need your Help!

The reason I am posting is because I am trying to get a bill passed through congress to help the animals in this nation. Please read the following and follow the link to sign the petition if you agree.

I would like our government to enact a bill that protects the animals in our Nation just as it does with our children. I want them to establish a national list for people who are know offenders of animal neglect and abuse, to prevent these people from owning other animals and repeating this behavior. I also want them make it mandatory for people to have background checks before they can purchase/adopt animals to make sure they are going to a safe home. Some people feel that their animals are their children and they need protecting too.

Just to share the reason I want this bill is this: Last Sunday I went to a pet store to buy something for my animals, when my fiancée saw an ad on their board - it was for a little guy named Jose. They were getting rid of him because his cage mate died two weeks prior and they said he was depressed. So being the chinchilla lover I am, I called and she told me they would let me have him for free. When we got to their house, they told me the reason the other one had died. They knew that Jose was sick and didn't say anything to me. On Wednesday, I noticed some puss in his eye and called the vet, they told us to bring him in. Once we got there and the vet checked him out, the vet told us he needed to be in the hospital and was straight with us - we were told he may not make it through the night. We got him to the Vet ER where an hour later he arrested on us. I was devastated by this but angrier with his previous owners for not disclosing the fact that he was sick. They had him for four years, so they knew his behavior better than I did. I may have owned him for three days, but in the end he was mine baby and I loved him no less than my other animals.

In his honor I would like have this bill named 'Jose's Law'.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Jose/petition.html

If you sign in, thank you very much, if you don't please pass it on to others you may know that love their animals as much as I loved Jose.

Thanks Chris

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 02:50 PM
In Frosting Denial

Hi there

Just wondering why you have started 5 threads on this same subject?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmyasp
Hi there

Just wondering why you have started 5 threads on this same subject?
The others have been deleted.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I just signed it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Adolescent Pup

so did i, i would hope they have stiffer penalties for animal neglect since it comes in so many ways.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Curmudgeon

If you are serious abou this (and I would hope you are), you should start with getting a congressmen on your side to sponsor/wite the bill. Online petitions are a waste of time and bandwidth. They serve no purpose but to make the person who "signs" them feel good about themselves.

Find someone who knows a congressman, or a congressional aide. If you want power behind your request, get people to send actual paper letters to the a congressman. When people take the time to do that, elected officials will (sometimes) take notice. They know that people can sign and online petition with litlle or no effort, and that it can be done repeatedly by the same person. It carries no weight in their mind.

Of lesser value is a written petition, ...go door to door, or get some local pet stores to let you sit outside their building and ask people to sign.

Otherwise, you are just wasting your time, and that's sad because you have a good idea. Lose the online petition idea, if that's the best you can do for your cause, ...hang it up.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Tags
cage mate, local pet store, pet store, pet stores