What the!? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

What the!?

http://oddanimals.com/unusualanimals...r18months.html

How cruel to let this chicken live like this for 18 fricken months!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Hmmmm... I don't believe that...

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

heres the detailed story..
http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/story.html

kinda sad and insperational at the same time..

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

"In the 18 MONTHS that Mike lived as "The Headless Wonder Chicken" he grew from a mere 2 1/2 lbs. to nearly 8 lbs."

Without food? How?

I checked the site originally posted (oddanimals.com) and there are a couple true ones, a couple that can be doubted and a couple that are completely false (like the goat/sheep hybrid... believe it or not goats and sheep can't interbreed... they have different chromosome number... to interbreed 2 species they need to have the same # of chromosomes)

Dimaris

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:31 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Thats a sin! Even if its not true (Idk if it is or not) Thats just wrong,poor bird!!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

If that is indeed true, I find it very sad and cruel.

Rhonda

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
"In the 18 MONTHS that Mike lived as "The Headless Wonder Chicken" he grew from a mere 2 1/2 lbs. to nearly 8 lbs."

Without food? How?
"When Olsen found Mike the next morning, sleeping with his "head" under his wing, he decided that if Mike had that much will to live, he would figure out a way to feed and water him. With an eyedropper Mike was given grain and water"

My Furry Family
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:51 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I really think this was made up...NOTHING can survive without its brain, let alone HEADLESS...I really think it is made up!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

In the article (in the link Angelnstuff posted) it also said:
Quote:
The skeptical scientists were eager to answer all the questions regarding Mike's amazing ability to survive with no head. It was determined that ax blade had missed the jugular vein and a clot had prevented Mike from bleeding to death. Although most of his head was in a jar, most of his brain stem and one ear was left on his body. Since most of a chicken's reflex actions are controlled by the brain stem Mike was able to remain quite healthy.

Rhonda

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

It is cruel and disturbing though...in my opinion!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

What about the cerebellum that controls movement and coordination? Did it stay too, so that the chicken would be able to walk like a normal chicken? How did cerebro-spinal fluid stayed there to keep the remains of the brain stem healthy?

Dimaris

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

I remember hearing about this a long time ago. It's kind of gross and upsetting. But I guess it is real.

Peace and Love,

Stephanie

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

My pets:

2 cats, Clementine and Inky

1 Campbell's Dwarf Hamster, Elliot

3 Roborovski Hamsters; Inez, Summer and Sophie
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Part of the Pack

I read it in guiness or something, they kept the chicken alive by feeding it food through it's neck hole, he died when the wound healed all the way. Someone ought to learn how to weild an axe properly, and sharpen it up once in a while.

Last edited by Fubie; 11-22-2006 at 07:28 PM.