What about my best friend????? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Fox
Playful Pup

What about my best friend?????

oh, this is a sad story. I posted earlier about the next county confiscating horses.....I sympathized with the sheriff's department who had been watching the place for years. So had I.
My friend lives in a trailer on her family's property. She is entrusted with caring for not only her own horses, but for those belonging to family members.

For the most part, the horses have excellent care. Grain and hay twice daily, run of the pasture, water most of the time.

But dear old stud horse is confined in a round pen......24/7--
no grass, no fun,....and NO SHADE.

I've seen him licking an almost full water tub of solid ice while he makes it through the winter inside of a dark stable. Summertime is spent in the round pen with hay and grain and water.

Please, everyone, let's be sensitive to the needs of our animals. We sure wouldn't sit outside in the sunshine all day when the temps reach 80, or 90, or 100 or more, and we shouldn't expect our animals to do so, either.

So I "discreetly" sent an "anonymous" tip to the animal control people (via email) about the horse, sending the Animal Control people to the very place where an Equine Surgeon provides free care and his girlfriend is the nearby city's Chief of Police.

I'm quite sure that I've probably ruined a totally good friendship, and quite possibly pissed off a lot of city/county people.

But I'll just betcha that if the horse could say 'thank you', he would do so.

Avatar is so totally stolen and is not an actual pic of Sidney. But is it so close to what he looks like, it's worth the risk.

All posts are in consideration for the 'future NAAF;...National Association for the Advancement of Foxes.

Anyone using this material for a 'for profit' enterprise such as a book or research paper or a website is requested to include a "Dedicated to Sidney" notation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Playful Pup

Sometimes doing what you feel is right can and does piss people off, that's why making the right choices can be so difficult sometimes.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Fox
Playful Pup

such an answer is not quite what I was expecting, but I will reply.

What I "felt" was right was to just keep my mouth shut. The woman is my friend.
After all, the horse had been surviving all summer (and previous summers) in the hot sun and humidity. Who am I to say that such care is not "right" for the horse, when an actual veterinarian is supposed to be keeping tabs on him? Who knows if sis is telling the whole truth to brother about the horse's care?

It took a lot of thought to consider the horse's feelings.

I don't just go around pointing fingers. Every time some one points a finger, there are four others pointing back at them.
I try to make sure that there aren't any "beams" in my eye when removing the "splinter" in someone elses.

I'm not trying to take away my friend's horse. But I know how she is when discussing them.....
I just want her to consider Mr. Stud horse as more than just a few $$$ to buy some extra hay for the others. He needs humane care.

Avatar is so totally stolen and is not an actual pic of Sidney. But is it so close to what he looks like, it's worth the risk.

All posts are in consideration for the 'future NAAF;...National Association for the Advancement of Foxes.

Anyone using this material for a 'for profit' enterprise such as a book or research paper or a website is requested to include a "Dedicated to Sidney" notation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
such an answer is not quite what I was expecting, but I will reply.

What I "felt" was right was to just keep my mouth shut. The woman is my friend.
After all, the horse had been surviving all summer (and previous summers) in the hot sun and humidity. Who am I to say that such care is not "right" for the horse, when an actual veterinarian is supposed to be keeping tabs on him? Who knows if sis is telling the whole truth to brother about the horse's care?

It took a lot of thought to consider the horse's feelings.

I don't just go around pointing fingers. Every time some one points a finger, there are four others pointing back at them.
I try to make sure that there aren't any "beams" in my eye when removing the "splinter" in someone elses.

I'm not trying to take away my friend's horse. But I know how she is when discussing them.....
I just want her to consider Mr. Stud horse as more than just a few $$$ to buy some extra hay for the others. He needs humane care.
I apologize, I misread what you were saying. Thank you for the explanation. I agree that "Mr. Stud" does deserve better treatment. All I meant in what I said is that no matter what you feel is right that is the cours eof action you should pursue. Maybe you should mention your feelings to her, even if she does not like what you have to say. That is what I meant.

Tags
horse