What do you think about cloning? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

What do you think about cloning?

For a school project I have to do a debate about cloning and I have to do some polls on what people think. If anyone could help by just writing whether they agree with it or not it would be so much help! Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vixen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Zoo!!!

Polo, Pepper, Solo, Bullet, Trigger, Bandit and Gem

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
(Chickens) Persephone, Penny, Pandora and Pansy
Giant Afircan land snails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Its about plant, animal and human cloning (sorry didn't make that clear)

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

Polo, Pepper, Solo, Bullet, Trigger, Bandit and Gem

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
(Chickens) Persephone, Penny, Pandora and Pansy
Giant Afircan land snails
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Do we have to have the same answer for all three? I am not so much opposed to plant cloning but I am opposed to animal and human cloning. I think that cloning in the wrong hands could go badly. I would be concerned that someone would want a "mini me" and decide to clone in an attempt to extend their own lives. I also don't like messing too much with reproducing humans (or animals). There are way too many things that have to go right to make a healthy baby. Once humans are interferring it increases the possibilites of something going wrong. And who knows what reprecussions that could mean. Horrible genetic defects could be the result - that is not fair to the new life that was created.
At least with plants - if something goes wrong than you can destroy them. That is not fair to do to an animal or human.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Absolute yes or no is really difficult for that topic. Cloning has many potential useful applications, and I am not adverse to qualified, ethical scientists exploring the applications. There are certain aspects of cloning that are worrisome, and the ethics are not yet in place for this field (and there will always be people who disregard the boundaries of ethics).

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 06:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

I really have never put alot of thought into it.I guess I am neutral on the subject.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 05:47 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i think human and animal cloning is baaaaad (don't get me started). plant is fine, crossing hybrids and such to get better food for ourselves....that's okay

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Newborn Pup

I think plant cloning is fine. animal cloning? depends on the reasons. if they are doing it to perhaps save an endangered species, I'm all for it. but if they are merely testing it on animals so they can move onto humans when it is safe I STRONGLY disagree. I also strongly disagree on human cloning. I mean we all agree that humans can be cruel right? well immagine this. a clone is a copy of something. so if a person who was a clone went and told people he was a clone, think of how he would be treated. some people probably wouldnt consider him a person, because he's a copy. he might even be treated like an animal and we all know how well animals are treated sometimes. anyone read "house of the scorpion?" if not you should. its sci fi book about a boy who is a clone and how he is treated
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Since plant "cloning" can be done without a real lab setting and actually can occur naturally I don't have any large issues with it. This should be separated from genetic engineering though. Plant biodiversity is very important. We're in danger of losing many important food crops (such as corn) to disease because many farmers around the world are using the "same" plant. If a disease comes around, it could wipe out all those plants. In nature you will see many types of a certain plant (ex: different types of yellow corn). This protects that plant from eradication by a disease because one type may have weaknesses to that disease while the others have a variation that protects them. When scientists genetically alter plants to produce more, grow bigger, etc they cause natural plants to be over looked. If people don't keep farming their indigenous plants and switch to these altered plants it will open a Pandora's box. I could go on an on about the problems but I've probably already talked your ear off about plants.

Animal and human cloning is a very complex and not well understood process. Ethically I think it's wrong. Scientifically, we don't have enough knowledge right now to do it safely anyway. As an animal/human grows it's DNA degrades. If an adult subject is cloned, the scientist is getting degraded DNA. Basing a "clone" off of this DNA is foolish. There are still many things we don't understand about genetics. Another important point against animal/human cloning is that the clone won't have the same personality (generally speaking) as the original. Many people are in favor of cloning their deceased pet, but what they don't realize is that this clone won't act the same. Think of identical twins (nature's "clone"), often they share some traits in terms of personality, but are not the same.

Sorry this is long winded! I tried to keep it short for you.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

I think that cloning is not ethical. I mean, trying to make more plants or breeding a plant until it can naturally fight off diseases and survive in harsh weather, that's okay, if the nutritional value is kept intact.

As for cloning humans and animals, that is totally out of the question. I could go into the religious part of this and tell you that cloning is an abominable act, but I can tell you a lot more that everyone can relate to.

First of all, and I know someone already said this, a clone would not be treated as well as the real thing. We already see this in real life. A child that was born to the mother and father will usually get better treatment than a step child. Many times the step child is abused. Think of how a child that was "created" would be treated. Think of the jokes and abuse. "Hey, you're not real. You're just a copy." You know how cruel and ignorant children and even adults can be.

Then, think of the quality of life. You have no way of knowing how the DNA will bond and in what order. What if an extra comes into the picture. What if there is a mistake in the process. Why bring a person into this world purposely when they have no quality of life. Then there's the question of stability. Like someone said, there's deteriorated DNA being used. That automatically gives a lower life span to the clone. Also, a clone isn't really destined to a normal life. If scientists are successful in creating a clone, do you really think they are going to let him go? No. He is going to be placed under observations. Day after day. DNA samples, blood tests, CT scans, constant monitoring, just to see what they did right. He is going to be merely a number, a test subject.

As for animals, we all know how this will go. We know how cruel labs can be. If the clone is not up to part, there's an automatic death sentence. Not to mention test after test after test.

Sorry about the gargantuan post. I kinda got carried away but anyways good luck on your debate. Always defends your pros and state your cons before your opponent does.

Pet Parent to:

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 06:30 PM

I agree with "kathydip's" answer.

Tags
endangered species