What should I have done? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

What should I have done?

A while ago my husband and I were driving on a busy street and there was a tiny white thingy standing in the middle of the road. My husband said it was a dog. The little dog was standing in middle of both lanes and wasn't moving. Since my husband's car was first, he could not just bypass the dog and how my husband is an animal lover and obsessed with dogs (his mother has 8 dogs)........um ya..he got out of his car and picked up that tiny dog and gave him to me.

The dog was a walking skeleton! I was holding in my hands a fist full of fur with bunch of bones that's what it felt like. The dog smelled of urine like as if some urine was dumped on him/her. The smell was awful. When I turned the dog to face me on my lap, the dog was completely blind! She had white in her eyes she only could smell. . She was tiny as a Chihuahua breed but I wasn't sure if it was an actual Chihuahua or a multi poo breed mix.

The dog looked like it was terribly neglected/abused. I was at home after very long hospital stay and was recovering and doing outpatient rehab so I could not take care of that dog at that time.

We drove off the road and placed a dog near a foodtball field. We did not have better idea at that time. I cold not take the dog to my home (not knowing what type of diseases it had nor I did not have any money to take it to my vet and pay for expensive services).

After our trip to the store we stopped by the field to look for that dog but could not find him/her anymore. It's like he/she vanished into thin air. I am guessing someone had called animal control center? I am just guessing.

Every time I drive by that road I think of what ever happened to that poor dogy.

What should I have done in such situation? Any advice in case if I 'll find myself in similar situation?

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 12:29 AM
she-mayor of Whoville

I love how for so long, nobody touched this.

SO I will.

I understand you were ill at the time. But the dog was on death's door. I would have at least taken him to a place where he could be warm for a night, with a bowl of food and water.

That's the LEAST I would have done.

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 01:05 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

animal shelter, vets, humane society, animal control will ALWAYS take them.

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, in that situation I would have in the very least taken the dog to an animal shelter or called animal control to come pick it up. Hopefully someone caring came alone and picked the dog up or called animal control to get it.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 12:29 AM
canis lupus familiaris

Taken him to a shelter. IF it DID get put down, at least it wasn't in the cold.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

Animal shelter.
He would have had food, water, a warm place to sleep, and a medical checkup. If he wasn't reasonably able to be rehabilitated, he would have been euthanized, but only the vet could make that determination. If he was, he would have gotten a nice bath and grooming, and had his issues treated, and then been placed up for adoption.

Tags
little dog