THIS is why you shouldnt buy from chain pet stores.... - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:39 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes,I am not sure where "Murdo" mills are located,but I know they are here in Canada.I talked to two pet stores who told me they got their small animals from "Murdo",but they tried to tell me this was just a big fancy breeding company and not a mill...(thats the same thing,duh!)...

Traveling farther is fine for someone who drives.I don't drive,therefore there is no way I can get to certain places right now.So traveling farther is just not an option for some people.I do have friends who drive,but I don't think they would drive me out to these places whenever I needed to go unless they got something out of it...then again I never asked them.My point is though,for someone who drives...sure,you can travel as far as you want.People like me usually rely on buses or walking and "Pet Zone" is still "out of the way".

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:43 PM
I am allergic to maths

Just wondering, anyone in the USA heard of a pet-shop called kennelgate? Its a chain of stores, I was just wondering because they sell alot of american products...
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Yes,I am not sure where "Murdo" mills are located,but I know they are here in Canada.I talked to two pet stores who told me they got their small animals from "Murdo",but they tried to tell me this was just a big fancy breeding company and not a mill...(thats the same thing,duh!)...

Traveling farther is fine for someone who drives.I don't drive,therefore there is no way I can get to certain places right now.So traveling farther is just not an option for some people.I do have friends who drive,but I don't think they would drive me out to these places whenever I needed to go unless they got something out of it...then again I never asked them.My point is though,for someone who drives...sure,you can travel as far as you want.People like me usually rely on buses or walking and "Pet Zone" is still "out of the way".

Exactly! If you can't drive, places that don't sell animals are to far out of the way.

Shipping here also tends to be crazy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

My mom wont take me to out of the way places, and she wont pay extra to order online... So Im kinda stuck with the pet stores in my area untill I get my licence and a job. Iusually only buy my feeders and supplies from Pet Supplies Plus, which actually takes REALLY good care of all their animals here, and I only go to Petco if I absolutely have no other choice... Like if PSP is out of crickets and I need them right away. The employees at Petco are always really rude to me anyway for some reason. And sometimes the employees at PSP give me free feeders too LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Betta Bomb

Back to the topic of the reptile thing, I do hope they all llive their lives happily from here on out. There's not alot stopping anyone else who engages in this type of industry. Birds are often tricked and trapped from the wild and then shoved into tiny cages. Jess, I didnt mean to point fingers it's ok about the link being from Peta I wasnt sure if you werre aware that they just are not a valid source for alot of people.. Kind of like Wikipedia!! Your a vegetarian, do you get people asume your a PETA member? It's used by the outside community as a derogatory remark. I think it's jealousy IMO but I get it all the bloody time when I tell the wrong person Im a vegetarian and respect animals rights and welfare..... -_-
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I agree, the people in PetCo and Petsmart are not friendly at all!! If you try to ask them questions, they don't know or don't care and think your stupid for asking them!

Once there was a nice lady at PetCo when I got my first rats (bad mistake) but she was at least trying to be helpful. Only good encounter :/

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Hello Earthling

Some of the employies at the PetSmart I go to are really nice to me and seem quiet knowledgeable, alothought I do my own reaserch.

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

That's good that you have had nice encounters.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 PM
the rodent lover<3

I have also had some good experience with pet smart. Only once or twice. There was this one lady who knew a lot about bun's. She said she had an angora before, and was talking about their diets and she'd give her bun a salad everyday, and to watch out for cord chewing etc.. she was very nice. That was the day we brought Sunny to the store with us. And this other guy knew about introducing gerbils and what not.

But I have had more bad than good.
The guy telling us putting 2 male mice in a cage was fine,
The same guy saying that if I were to intro 2 males they'd be fine
This lady telling us my gerbils would die in a tank (by the way they're still kickin' in the tank!! )

So yeah, I guess some stores are different from others.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 PM
RAT ADDICT

All in all,most employees in pet stores are idiots!

* Lisa *

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Amanda- Actually, I havent had anyone ask me if Im a Peta member LOL! They do give vegetarians and vegans a bad name though. :/

Once, before I had Wink eating adult crickets, I asked at Petco if I could just see how big their large crickets were. Most stores dont make a big deal of it when I ask and they scoop up a ton and show me... But the Petco lady was obviosly annoyed at me, and picked out one cricket that had to be the tiniest in the bin. So I just bought 4 dozen cause my mom wouldnt take me anywhere else, and she gave me what i would consider a generous 2 dozen but she wouldnt do anything when I mentioned it.
I always make a point of telling them whats wrong with their beardies if I go there.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Traveling farther is fine for someone who drives
I don't drive either. I take public transportation. Yes, it is out of the way and is a hassle, but it's worth it to me.

I'm not judging people who don't do that though, of course. I understand it can be a lot of trouble. I just don't feel comfortable buying things to make my pets life better, at the expense of who knows how many other animals.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 01-25-2010 at 10:54 AM.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:29 PM
RAT ADDICT

Well everyone and everyone's situations are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Amanda- Actually, I havent had anyone ask me if Im a Peta member LOL! They do give vegetarians and vegans a bad name though. :/
Your lucky then.When many people learn I am vegetarian,they ask "so your a member of PETA then?"...drives me crazy! NO I AM NOT! And I tell them this and why I am not a PETA supporter.It is crazy at how many people assume all vegetarians are PETA members...

* Lisa *

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Betta Bomb

Grrrr, I know. Maybe it's just here on the island where people beleive they have a whole lot more knowledge than they actually do... And succeed in pulling it off -_-

Tags
exotics rescued