THIS is why you shouldnt buy from chain pet stores.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Unhappy THIS is why you shouldnt buy from chain pet stores....

26,000 exotic animals were rescued from a place in Texas that supplies pet stores like Petco, Petsmart, and Petland.
4,000 animals have died since they were rescued, and the owners of this complany fled the country.
THIS is why you should always adopt animals instead of supporting pet stores!

**Warning: Graphic vidoe and pics!!**
http://blog.peta.org/archives/2010/01/u ... xotics.php

So sad... The dead lizard the person was holding in one of the pics looks like it might have been a bearded dragon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Hello Earthling

I didn't watch the whole video as it was talking to long to load, but WTF!

Those poor snakes and Wallaby.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

That's just WRONG!!! UGH!!
Ps, the page was not found for me :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 AM
Playful Pup

If you go to Peta.org it is the first one on the page.

http://blog.peta.org/archives/2010/0...al_exotics.php

This is absolutely horrible.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:28 AM
I am allergic to maths

The vid did not work but OMG! It just sucks and its happening all the time. I wish more people were aware and helped this stop.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Newborn Pup

I actually work at a pet store and we get our pets from private breeders, we only take in as many animals as we have space for on the sale floor (we only keep feeder mice and feeder rats and sick animals in the back), and we make sure each and every one of our animals gets a nice home. Someone left a box of hamsters at my store and we gave them away for free before our own hamsters.

But I will admit, those other pet stores are nasty. People always come in and ask us if we sell puppies and kittens, we always suggest checking shelters or the APL, and people scoff at us.

A Petland over here in Ohio had legal issues awhile ago because one of the employees drowned some rabbits and posted a picture on facebook of her smiling, holding the drowned carcasses.

These animals do come from mass mills though, and some Petlands have the nerve to deny it! When I was little my parents bought a Collie from Petland, he was a pain to potty train because they kept them in their cages to go to the bathroom, and he died at the age of five. Yes, FIVE. The vet told us of his multiple health problems and its all from the puppy mill he came from.

I now have a colored headed white sheltie and he was an "undesirable" that was rescued from a puppy mill. He was lifted by his ears and tail, hit often, and was going to be left for breeding purposes and/or to die because he has little sable coloring. We got him from a rescue that took him from a mill.

We no longer buy from these places, especially their animals, because even if it is considered "rescuing" the animal, it just puts money in the mill breeders pockets.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

The story about the drowning rabbit lady was all over PT too.
I really don't understand...

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Betta Bomb

I know that this is probably true incident but Jess, the site didnt work for me.. I DO know for a FACT that Peta makes ALL their stories to hit every nerve in your body. I watched videos before where the volunteers who loved animals SO much actually stood by and witnessed horrid murders on Chinchilla farms, Iams companies, chicken farms etc... Im sure their view of this incident is that no one should own exotics, am I correct? (They used to be like that when I was mislead into their trap) I dont find them to be a reputable source for ANY of my welfare issues b/c they were found to be false or exagerated in too many cases.
As I said, the story is true but I'll prefer to find it on another site (esp, since this one doesnt work for me :/) Im just not sure your aware
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Rodentologist

Purple-Hops, this is one of the most widely publicized animal cruelty cases in US history. All 30,000 animals are currently being housed by the SPCA in Texas and they have confirmed what Peta has said. If you don't find them reliable, then it's quite easy to search for more sources:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unle...l-exotics.html
http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/arch...arlington.html
http://www.zandavisitor.com/newsarti...Seized_Animals
http://www.examiner.com/x-1911-Dalla...in-on-rescuers

I just typed in "exotics seized" to google. Like I said, it's been everywhere, it's a huge news story. It's not exaggerated. There were literally 30,000 animals, dead and dying. Many did not have food and water.

These people go in undercover to find out what's going wrong at these places. They have to "stand by" in order to make a case. It's like a police officer undercover -- he can't break cover to arrest people doing bad, he's gathering evidence for a case. Without that person at Peta "standing by" they would not have had enough information to bust this place and save as many animals as they did.

Love or hate Peta, they're one of the few organizations bothering to go into these animal mills and investigate what's going on there.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I appreciate the fervor with which PETA works to save animals, but sometimes they are just a bit extreme. They have been great in this situation, though, helping to get so many animals out of terrible conditions. I hope that many of these animals can be adopted but I know that so many of them won't.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Yeah, this is a definite success story in that the culprits were busted and they were able to save some of the animals being tortured. Good for PETA for cracking this.

It's sad though, that PETA does so much to shoot themselves in the foot for all their /legitimate/ effort. For every story like this one, that is both horridly true and change making, PETA posts another with the journalistic integrity of the Weekly World News or the National Inquirer. Plus, all the other crazy things they do. Like those vile hatescreed comics they've stalked school children with such as the classic "Your Mommy Kills Animals" complete with the cover of a housewife gleefully stabbing a bunny to death.

I'm with Purple Hops. I have a hard time believing anything coming out of PETA's mouth because they never hesitate to lie or distort the truth to get their ends met...which is anything from let's stop animal abuse, to no one should ever own an animal or animal product, to the world is better off without humans. In my opinion, they make themselves as much part of the problem as the animal abusers they work so hard to stop.

Thanks to reputable places picking up this story I believe it though, and will share with others. No animal should suffer this way. Ever.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 01-24-2010 at 11:18 AM.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Im all for Peta busting animal mills, like this one, but thats about it. I do think that they have good intentions on saving animals, but alot of their tactics are pretty extreme and they just end up driving people away.
Not ALL petstores are bad though, and I dont mind supporting some of the good ones. I still dont buy live animals from them though, other than live feeders.

And the Peta link was the one I had seen on another forum, so I just posted it here. I can look for other links though next time if its an issue.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

This thread is not about PETA and I really rather not talk about them so I won't say much.I have alot of problems and issues with them and will be leaving it at that.I agree with Purple and Story,it is hard to listen to anything that comes out of that organization's mouth.They exaggerate often.I do not support that group AT ALL.

Anyway this story might be all over the news in the USA,but it is not in Canada...or at least not in NL,as I have not heard anything about it till now in this thread.But it is a horrible thing! Unfortunately most pet stores that sell animals get them from mills.One of the largest small animal mills in Canada is called "Murdo" and it supplies rats,mice,hamsters,GP's,rabbits...etc,etc to pet stores all across Canada.

Until November 2009,every pet store in Newfoundland has sold animals,so even if people didn't buy animals in the stores,they still bought supplies (including me and I won't deny it).But in November a new SUPPLIES ONLY pet store opened up here! I am glad to hear it.It is called "Pet Zone" and one of my friends works there and told me there are no animals at all,thats the only reason she got a job there.I still have not been there yet though,because it is "out of the way".This is a problem for people who do not drive,because it is literally "out of the way" and is up almost in the woods.So I can see how it is going to be a problem for people to get there.I think they should move location or start putting more supply only stores here.

Anyway I am rambling now.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Hello Earthling

I didn't know that Canada had a company that produces small animals etc... I always assumed that they were ordered from the US. But now I know. And "Murdo" is exactly what they are doing, murdering countless animals.

I buy supplies from PetSmart and other pet stores that sell animals for the sole reason that the places that just sell supplies either don't have what I need or there is a huge price difference (which matters when you need a lot of expensive things, even thought the animals in the store matter too). I personally don't buy live pets (exept for fish) from pet stores.

Here in Canada we don't usually get any of the stories from the US or other places in less its posted on forums like here or found else where.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

That's very sad about the animals. Hopefully some of them will be able to be saved and adopted out to good homes.

I buy most of my pet supplies online, or travel to the closest pet store that doesn't sell animals, even though it's still pretty far away. I refuse to shop at stores who make a profit by selling animals from breeding mills and backyard breeders. Even if you just buy supplies, your still supporting that store and it's pratices. I can almost always get my supplies for much cheaper from stores online anyways, and some of them that I shop at even donate a percentage of their procedes to animal rescues. I know not everyone can buy stuff online, but if I couldn't I'd accept paying higher prices and traveling further to know that I'm not supporting the suffering of animals.

Tags
exotics rescued