Wildlife Abuse: Law vs. Ethic - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Angry Wildlife Abuse: Law vs. Ethic

There should be more laws protecting wildlife. I was babysitting for my cousins, and they told me that their neighbor traps squirrels. Naturally, as a squirrel rehabilitator, i was a little irritated. But when i asked what she did to them is when i got the real shock. She would live trap them, and then stick the enire trap, squirrel and all, into a bucket of water, shake it up, and wait for it to drown. According the the minnesota laws, a person can do whatever they want about nuisance animals on their property. It makes me so mad, she was too lazy to care for her house, so the squirrels started chewing on the rotten wood, and she decided to brutally murder them. I believe that that is where the law failed. and that is where i stepped in. My cousins brought me the trap and I twisted the metal that opens the trap, so the little squirrels are safe, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 12:42 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

sick sick sick!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have heard time and time again about simular instances over here in the UK and we actually have laws for the protection of wild creatures (well except ones deemed as pests ) but people get through the loop holes and think they are above the law i'm afraid, for example fox hunting was banned last friday over here in the UK but people will still go out and hunt as they think they are above the law and just laugh at it Its a shame that its the poor defenceless animals that have to suffer at the hands of very sick people

Glad to hear you have helped those poor squirrels in some way

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 09:29 AM

That's awful! How hard would it be to just set them free in another area? I hate people like that!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 03:31 PM

That's terrible. Those poor little squirrels!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 03:53 PM

Red face

Thats awful, poor squirrels.. I have a family of 4 in my garden, and would not do anything to harm them!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's awful!! I actually like the squirrels, I give them nuts.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 06:22 PM

That's just sick and sad!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Curmudgeon

I'd talk to an officer of Fish and Wildlife. It may be legal to catch them, but there are accepted methods of dispatching animals. Drowning may not be considered legal or humane. You might offer to place the squirrels somewhere else so that she doesn't have to deal with getting rid of them.

Just a couple of ideas..

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

[QUOTE=Amethystbelle] protection of wild creatures (well except ones deemed as pests ) QUOTE]
That is exactly the problem, because squirrels chew, and they are here in abundance, our government has deemed them pests, and people have free reign to deal with "nuisance wildlife" as they see fit.
The true irony is that while they can kill whenever they want for whatever reason, the people trying to help the wildlife (Me and others) are made to jump through hoops and cut through tons of red tape to help the animals.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 07:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehabber
The true irony is that while they can kill whenever they want for whatever reason, the people trying to help the wildlife (Me and others) are made to jump through hoops and cut through tons of red tape to help the animals.
And thats a very sad thing

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 09:52 PM

Why do people LIKE to drown/maim/kill for no reason helpless animals? I understand that some are pests, but that is no way to deal with that problem. Maybe you could make some suggestions to this person about some better more humane ways to deal with the squirrels.