WOOT! One for the Good Guys! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon

One for the Good Guys!

The article is HERE.

Quote:
California Man Arrested on Charges of Smuggling Lizards from Australia into the U.S

A Lomita, California, man was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Special Agents Tuesday, November 17 and charged with smuggling after he allegedly attempted to clear U.S. Customs while concealing 15 live lizards strapped to his torsoe.

Michael Plank, 40, was returning to the United States from Australia when U.S. Customs and Border Patrol officers discovered the lizards, which had been concealed in a money belt. Wildlife Inspectors from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service identified the lizard species as two geckos, eleven skinks, and two monitor lizards. Monitor lizards are a protected species under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES). All reptiles from Australia are strictly regulated for export, and an Australian export permit is required. Australian export permits are generally not issued for personal or commercial purposes. The value of the lizards is estimated to exceed $8,500.

The case will be prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney's Office of the Central District of California in Los Angeles.

Federal law requires travelers to declare items brought into the United States from abroad, including wildlife. Concealing the illegal import of wildlife into the United States (smuggling) is a felony. The maximum penalty is 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. The charges and allegations are merely accusations and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty. Plank has been released on a $10,000 bond and is scheduled to be arraigned in federal court in Los Angeles on December 21.

The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect and enhance fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. We are both a leader and trusted partner in fish and wildlife conservation, known for our scientific excellence, stewardship of lands and natural resources, dedicated professionals and commitment to public service. For more information on our work and the people who make it happen, visit www.fws.gov

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Part of the Pack

Thumbs up

Yaaay!! Thanks for reporting.

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 12:55 PM
RAT ADDICT

I actually didn't know that someone could get so long in prison for smuggling wildlife.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Herp Nerd

I've never heard of anyone getting the maximum sentence, I'm sure it depends on the perceived value and endangerment of the animals involved... but it is one of those things that for every one that gets caught, there's probably a dozen or more that don't. Smuggling animals is big business.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Hello Earthling

Woot! I Don;t understand though how someone who make it through security with lizards and snakes etc strapped to their bodies.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon

Twenty years ago, you practically never heard folks even getting jail time for wildlife crime. Part of it was because there were no severe penalties available. Just about every year or so, the penalties for wildlife crimes has increased.

Fortunately, as public appreciation of the environment grows, the punishments for wildlife offenders has gotten significantly more severe. For instance, there is a bill pending in congress right now (HR 2062 Migratory Bird Treaty Act Penalty and Enforcement Act of 2009) that will stiffen the penalties for the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. This make the penalties up to two years in jail and a $50k fine.

We are also seeing younger judges who better understand the importance of wildlife and the effect of smuggling/poaching.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 05:05 AM
Adolescent Pup

Someone got caught trapping and selling native australian birds - king parrots and such - up the road from where I used to live. They got the full extent of the law. They took away all the nets and everything

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)