yet another Pitt getting blamed! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Curmudgeon

You're absolutely right, if it had been a Pit it might have been painted in a different light in the press. It just goes to show that you can't control the press, when they find something that's plays to the pubic well (Pitbull Attacks Child), they go with it. No doubt about it...

This is only getting worse too, I don't think we've seen the worst of it yet. There don't seem to be any good options on the horizon for Pit owners....

I have a good friend who owns several Pits. Her personal opinion (opposite of most Pit owners) is that if there are tough enough regulations agains Pit owners, the good owners will stick it out and eventually the bad ones will be caught and put out of the business of Pit ownership. Once Pits are only owned by resposible people, the incidents concerning them will drop off to nil.... She figures this way, Pit owners can take a hand in writing the legislation and make sure they have an even chance of seeing and end to the tunnel....

She's resigned to the pending legislation, she just going to try to help write it.

It's her opinion anyway... food for thought.

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

Absolutely!!!
I applaud your friend because I am in 100% agreement with her. And I've felt that way for years since the increase in BSL became so so apparent.
Instead of banning breeds outright, increase the registration fee for them. Enact tougher laws against viscious animals.
-Anything- but take away the breeds my family loves so dearly. (Pitties, AmStaffs, Staffs...etc etc..that get lumped in with Pitties)
Unfortunately, unlike your friend, I am uncertain on how to go about getting involved in the process of writing the legislation that would do the most good.
Fortunately I also (for now anyway, #*$&&#$^& the move the Military will eventually insist we make!!!) live in a state that doesnt have anything looming on the horizon. We're just a little too independent for that up here. LoL. We dont even have motorcycle helmet laws.....only got a numeric speed limit a few years ago as well. Lol
Anyway..didnt mean to turn this into a debate. But it was a good one imho.

It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:16 PM

I understand there are very strong opinions here. However, I am asking that we please keep it civil. You can state your opinion without belittling someone with an opposing opinion.

*steps off the mod box*

My opinion is that the dog owners were wrong to chain the dog unattended. However, as a parent, I feel the parents were equally if not more so than the dog owner. The fact is no one will blame the parents and they WERE criminally negligent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Bob I must disagree I child absolutly must be watched every second, a toddler above all else. Also there was nothing saying that this dog was a "bad dog" The dog was minding its own business in its own yard when she came up to it. No one knows what she did, I am guessing but maybe she tried to play with it like she did her pup and was to ruff as most kids that age ( I say most because I know not all are my 3yr old for one knows how to play with an animal right) are with animals, and it provocted the dog. If she was pulling on it or hitting it or poking at it you cant blame the dog for protecting its self. If I came up to you and did that I would exspect you to hit me! The poor Little girl is not to blame she is only 2, but her parents are the ones here to blame. My son has never made it out side without my knowledge much less to a neighbors yard up to a strange animal. A good mother knows where her kids are at all times. And yes I am saying that this little girl has a bad mother for neglecting in the care of her daughter.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Just read the head line for tomorrows paper and go figure!

Oklahoma dog-mauling victim released from hospital, animal put down
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I have to side with the people that are blaming the parents.

My Red Doberman, Scarlette, LOVES to be outside. In the summer I let her stay out in a 30x10 kennel during the day. If I were to go to town for groceries, or whatever, and some kid wanders into my yard, lets her out, she plays to rough and knocks the kid down breaking an arm, leg or whatever......I'm sure that I would be blamed just because a Doberman is considered a "mean" dog. Am I irresponsible for allowing my dog to be outside? No, I don't think so because she is confined (even though it's a kennel, not a chain).

Like scotty said, this dog was on a chain in it's own yard, minding it's own business. We don't know if this was a family pet that stayed outside during the day while the family was at work. Just because it's a Pit Bull some people automatically jump to the conclusion that it's a fighting dog.

My brother had a Pit Bull Terrier when we were kids. She was one of the best dogs our family had. It never ceases to amaze me how these dogs are automactically labeled as mean dogs no matter what their upbringing was.

Rhonda

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
I have a good friend who owns several Pits. Her personal opinion (opposite of most Pit owners) is that if there are tough enough regulations agains Pit owners, the good owners will stick it out and eventually the bad ones will be caught and put out of the business of Pit ownership. Once Pits are only owned by resposible people, the incidents concerning them will drop off to nil.... She figures this way, Pit owners can take a hand in writing the legislation and make sure they have an even chance of seeing and end to the tunnel....
What kind of regulations are we talking about? Right now the majority of BSL I read about is outright banning of pits, euthanizing pits, sending pits to labs to be tested upon, etc. In the softer BSL you have things like mandatory muzzling, which is inhumane when done long term (in my opinion) and can create aggression problems in dogs. This hurts the animals and, since it does, I refuse to support any of it. The animals are my number one concern.

Also, what we should do is concentrate on weeding out ALL bad or irresponsible pet owners, not just those that own pit bulls. They aren't the only dog to bite, attack or otherwise harm humans or other animals. They aren't even the most likely to bite. They are, however, the most likely to be involved in a fatal attack. Still, so few kill each year. It's hardly the epidemic that the media would have us believe.

We need to stop irresponsible owners. They are the source of dog attacks, abuse, neglect, cruelty, and the reason we have a dog overpopulation problem.

The majority of dog attacks involve an unneutered male dog. Mandatory spay/neuter is something to consider, perhaps. Companion animals do not need to remain intact (except in rare cases where health problems make it unsafe to alter.) Companion animals who also happen to be championed, health and temperament tested should be allowed to remain intact. No other animals should be bred. We do not have enough homes for all the dogs we create.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

If you didnt have a fear of elected officals before, here ya go. This from a story in todays paper stating that a legislator from Oklahoma is proposing a Ban on Pitt Bulls. here are his comments:

Whole story can be read at http://www.joplinglobe.com/story.php?story_id=223525

State Rep. Paul Wesselhoft, R-Moore, already had planned to introduce a bill modeled after a Denver, Colo., municipal ordinance aimed at ridding the state of pit-bull terriers.

"Many people who own pit bulls say that it's other owners who train their pit bulls to be vicious," Wesselhoft said. "For them it is never the dogs' fault."

Wesselhoft said he is calling on the Oklahoma State Department of Health to declare an epidemic of vicious dog attacks and issue an alert to parents, advising them to keep their children away from the animals.

"I firmly believe that any parent who allows their small child to play with a pit bull, especially without direct supervision, is committing an act of child neglect, whether they mean to or not," Wesselhoft said

I dont know where to start with what I see as wrong in those statements.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 03:06 PM

I am a mother with 4 boys 7, 5, 3, 2 . I put a fence up to keep them safe and they are never out of my sight. When a stray dog would come around I told them to come and get me and my oldest was only 4 at the time. You cannot expect a child to do much more than that. It is your duty as a parent to keep them safe. It is your duty to be a good pet owner and keep them safe also!
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 04:11 PM

I'm not sure where to start, everyone has made really good points...and to a degree I understand bobs idea of the owners of the dog being at fault because it is being chained up and he is right. I dont however believe that the "dog" was at fault...How could someone blame the dog for basically "protecting" his territory, thats how dogs are, everyone knows that...even if you don't own a dog. HOWEVER the parents of that poor child is ******* Idiots...excuse my french, like others said who leaves a 2 yr old undattended. In the article it specifically says that the mother went looking for her daughter...in other words she was NOT watching her. TERRIBLE...everyone should learn a lesson from this and its unfortunate. Granted I don't believe that one needs to live on top of their children but thats provided they know that what they are doing and where they are going is safe for them without supervision. WOW i just can't believe this whole situation its terrible for the girl and for the dog, but i do not believe that the owners of the dog and the parents should be getting pitty, they were both wrong.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 10:27 AM

I find it so sad that Pitts are being banned right and left when it should be the owners who get banned from the state for being stupid owners!

Pitts are completely outlawed here in The Netherlands and it just breaks my heart since it's not the dogs fault but the irresponsible owners and breeders. I would have loved to own one just to show the world they are sweet when raised right. And it seems Rotties are not far behind them on the ban lists. More and more places are not allowing Rotties either.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 01:13 PM

I'd just like to make the note that the dog was on a chain in it's own yard. It did not say the dog was on a chain 24/7 and left unattended all the time, blah, blah, blah...
My father has a dog but doesn't have a fenced in yard. The dog goes out on the chain for 10-15 minutes several times a day. Does he stand there and watch the dog that whole time? No, he doesn't. She's not abused, not neglected and not "left on a chain" but if something like that were to happen, because she was on the chain at the time, you would all just assume she was a chained yard dog? That's not fair...and it's not the point. The dog was chained in it's own yard. The parent's weren't watching their 2 year old child. Why is the dog owner being held responsible for the neglect of the child's parents? And what parent lets a 2 year old wander around outside unsupervised? Shoot, I don't let my 8 and 9 year olds anywhere outside unsupervised with the exception of my own fenced in backyard. They sure as heck aren't wandering the neighborhood unsupervised
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:17 PM

Diddo to Chinchilla Girl. My point exactly!
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:43 PM

My pit loves kids, but i refuse to let him around kids because im terrified that he will lick a child and the child will scream and it will open up a big can of worms that i would rather leave shut. On that note, i think it is a dog owners responsibility to keep his or her dog in a fenced yard, and it is a parents responsibility to watch their children at all times, especially in the "terrible twos". This poor little girl never had a chance, and it is my belief that if she hadnt been bitten by that dog she wouldve been hurt some other way wandering around the neighbourhood unattended. The blame should rest on the dog owner and the parents 50/50.
I can only dream of the day when pit bulls are not negatively depicted in the media, but i have a funny feeling that day is a long ways away.

I think it's great that everyone on here can express their feelings without starting wars. It's always good to hear from both sides of the fence
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 08:52 AM

I used to be a claims examiner for an insurance company.
Once, I had a six figure claim for a dog bite injury to a child. The insured had a homeowner's policy with us, They had a mixed breed dog that was behind a fence AND chained with a dog house. There were "Beware of Dog" signs on the fence AND on the gate. Basically, the owners knew the dog would bite and did everything they could to warn people.

A neighbor girl was verbally warned several times to stay away from the dog. She still went into their backyard, and was attacked by the dog.

She sustained serious injuries that would require plastic surgery, and she was in therapy to deal with the trauma of being attacked by the dog. The claim was for over $200,000. I didn't want to pay it, because I did not think the homeowners were liable for her injuries. However, the company decided to go ahead and pay the claim, which will result in the insured taking a hit on their rates.

I guess ANY dog that bites is a liability, even if all precautions are taken...

Tags
animal abuse, bull terrier, bull terriers, companion animals, dog owners, golden retriever, labrador retriever, mixed breed, neutered male, pet owner, pit bull, pit bull terrier, pit bulls, responsible pet owner, vet tech