zoos - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question zoos

do you think it's alright to have zoos?
why or why not?

check this link out....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I think that if the animals are treated like movie stars then it is okay. I also like to see the animals in larger enclosures though...

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Yes I do.
In europ most zoos work together.
They breed some endangerd species, and via the big network, they are doing quite a great job about preserving some species.
The zoos are also about telling people about the animals, and how to interact with nature in a productive way, so we don't destroy too much.

But some zoos are bad.
We have this one zoo in Denmark with some white tigers.
For 1000 dkkr (a little under 200 USD).
This is so wrong IMO.
The kittens were taken from her mom, because she didn't want them, but this is just not the right way of doing it.
They should have as little contact with humans as possible, so they would still act like wild animals when they grow up.

The zoos need to do reserch, and tell people about the wild animals, so we all can learn how to act. Telling people that it's okay to pet a wild animal if you pay enough, is just so wrong!

And then then animals should have as good enclousers (sp?) as possible. It there's not enough space for some animals, the zoo must find an other home for them.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Curmudgeon

Define what we are calling a zoo.

A little roadside, Mom and Pop tourist attraction with bears in small cages and a rattler pit? Or something AZA accredited like San Diego Zoo?

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 07:38 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am neutral.
I hear some horrible zoo stories...and I don't like the fact that some animals are in tiny cages or enclosures.However I have read about and heard about some zoos where the animals get the best of care and live in huge,real-like habitats.

There are no zoos here,so I have not been to one.
That is why I have to base my opinion on what I hear/read.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Betta Bomb

Also neutral. There are zoo's that rescue or rehabilitate wild animals who can no longer live in the wild and then display them. Paying careful attention to each animals needs is uber important too. Also, it helps people to learn about endangered animals-habitat threat-poaching-etc...We dont have a zoo but the closest thing we have in Newfoundland is called Salmonier Nature Park which is solely made up of completley wild, native animals to the forests and wetlands of Newfoundland. The animals are all displaced or unable to fend for themselves naturally and the enclosures arent fake. Theyre fenced in right on the natural terf. It's truly a wonderful place I loves it!!! The snowy owl and bald eagle both can no longer fly and so their 'enclosures' arent actually seperated from the walking trail. If they were in any way sociable to humans you could totally pet them b/c there's no fencebetween you and them!! So exhilerating eh?
But any road side venue or zoo who captures perfectly healthy animals and disrupts natural ecosystems and causes undue stress or harm in any way is simply wrong. There are other ways to make money and learn about aniamals...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:19 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh yes! I forgot about Salmonair Nature Park.
http://www.recreationnewfoundlandand...er_naturepark/

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

If they're there in tiny cages for human amusement...no.
If its like a reserve,helping endangered animals,or a national park,thats different.
If they take something out of the wild& teach it tricks for "ooohs& aahh's"! I'd be appaled.
I'd like to see animals in as natural of an environment as possible,to me,thats really appreciating them .
Bear stuck in a too small barred cage = just pitiful thought.Same w/ monkeys& whatnot.
I've NEVER been to a "zoo" as such.
I'm from rural Newfoundland so...

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 03:12 PM

Oh my gosh... I can't belive what kind of things must be legal over there...
It would be near impossible for a normal person over here, to open something with exotic animals, without some kind of permit, and the authoritys telling how the cages should be build, and looking in at the open zoo from time to time...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

Last edited by Chinchi; 09-22-2009 at 03:15 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Betta Bomb

Thing is, it's not necessary legal in some places but it's certainly not regulated. **it happens, it's sad and although it's not right doesnt mean it cannot be stopped by intrernational people.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Adolescent Pup

Many zoos are getting better many are still not so good, when i was a little kid when i used to go to zoos i used to think oh wow this is like the best zoo ever then years later you end up going back and thinking ohh god this is not good at all the cages are rubbish etc.

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Oh my gosh... I can't belive what kind of things must be legal over there...
It would be near impossible for a normal person over here, to open something with exotic animals, without some kind of permit, and the authoritys telling how the cages should be build, and looking in at the open zoo from time to time...
Its not legal... its the way the laws are written and the loop holes. It is also the almost absents of people checking the 'zoos'

Also just because the authorities tell you how something should be build does not mean it to build to suit the animals needs. More likely it is build to ensure the animals is contained (although containment is important).

If animal is going to be kept in a zoo setting, it must have large open enclosures that mimic the natural habitat of the animal being kept.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I am against most zoos. I think it is horrible for any animal to see life through bars or have a limit as to where they can go.
I think it's horrible for a polar bear to live in the middle of NYC and look like it's so uncomfortable in 40*C weather.
There are however very good zoos, and I appreciate the fact it lets us see animals for real we would never get to see unless we travel. But I find it sad to see a bored animal in a small enclosure or animals that have to go through weather they do not see in the wild.
I went to central park zoo in NYC and it's sad. The polar bears especially. In the summer they get giant piles of ice cubes to lay in, while the sun is hitting them big time.
Chinchi you talk about those animals having to stay wild. Zookeepers can't take that chance, they need to be able to feed and care for these animals without danger to themselves. And seeing humans all day long, they are not scared of them anymore. especially they know they get the food from them.
I went to a great zoo in france when I was little (or maybe it was spain? i can't remember) and the enclosures were HUGE! There were no bars, i can't rmember how the enclosures were made, but it really felt like being in their habitat and they had loads of free roaming space.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
I think it's horrible for a polar bear to live in the middle of NYC and look like it's so uncomfortable in 40*C weather.
This reminds me of something funny in Copenhagen zoo, when they had their old polar bears...
One summer this companie thought they would donate some ice for the polar bears, because it was so hot.
The ice was dumped into their big "pool", so they could play around on it.
The fun thing was, that the bears wouldn't go near the water until the ice was compleatly melted away... They tried it out, but just didn't like it

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 PM

I accept with information: They breed some endangerd species, and via the big network, they are doing quite a great job about preserving some species.
The zoos are also about telling people about the animals, and how to interact with nature in a productive way

Tags
animals, zoo