Lost our turtle - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Lost Animals This section is for lost pet notices.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy Lost our turtle

We let our ornate box turtle wander in our front yard all the time to get some sun and exercise. Well, friday he was out wandering and disappeared. We just turned our heads and he was gone. I have looked in his normal outside hiding places, and have the neighbors watching for him. Is there any other ways that I can look for him? We're in Colorado.

Becky
Proud Mommy to Sammi and Leigh (my girls)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 05:10 PM
Part of the Pack

Sorry to hear that you've lost your pet turtle. Do you know anything that might entise him back, something he really love e.g. food-wise. Was he easily accessible by people, someone could have stolen him, im not sure what it's like in Colorado but i wouldn't put it pass people over here in the UK, dog napping is becoming popular but im sure people would steal for anything nowadays.

I hope your turtle come back soon, how often have you check his hiding places?

animalexpert - a life long learner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Qualifications: FdSc AMgt. N.Dip AMgt, and VetMed Cert
Working towards: BSc AMgt, A.Dip AB, Marine Zoology and Herptology
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

I hope that the turtle turns up... check under everything. My sister's cat was found stuck under something in our backyard. Maybe he got stuck somewhere...

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'm gonna try and pick up some bananas at the store tomorrow, as those are his favorites. I also have some superworms (big ole' mealworms) that I'm going to set by this huge juniper bush in the neighbor's yard. I am guessing that is probably where he is at, and I just can't get to him. I was even thinking of sending our other turtle out (with us directly behind her and never taking our eyes off her) to see if she can find him. They tend to butt heads, so maybe she'll try and pick a fight with him if she can sense him. Thanks for your support.
Oh, and he was gone less than an hour when we realized he was missing, and noone was near our house, so no real chance of him being stolen at that point. Flyers will be going up tomorrow as well.

Becky

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Turtles are able to move a lot quicker than people give them credit for. Plus, they blend well. The food and other turtle probably aren't going to work to lure it in ... turtles aren't like dogs ... they don't really respond to the same tricks. He's perfectly capable of finding food on his own and he could probably care less about the other turtle so I wouldn't count on that, sorry. :/

What you can do is keep searching. It is certainly not too late to find him. He is not going to be out in the open. He is well aware of the risk of predators so check around and underneath things. Box turtles love to bury themselves to keep hidden from view so check thoroughly around bushes, trees, buildings, undergrowth, leaves, loose dirt, etc. You must actively search. Their shells are meant to blend in so they can be very hard to spot even if you are right on top of them. Your best chance will be early in the morning not long after sunrise. This is often the only time of day that box turtles are active.

In the future, employ the use of neon band-aids. I always slap one on the shell of my turtles before they wander so I'll be able to spot them easier if they get out of sight.

Good luck with your turtle! I truly hope you find it.

Last edited by elfomatic; 05-30-2005 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 05:46 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I hope you find him.
Maybe he burrowed, did you look for holes?

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Part of the Pack

Have you had any luck in finding your turtle?

animalexpert - a life long learner

Qualifications: FdSc AMgt. N.Dip AMgt, and VetMed Cert
Working towards: BSc AMgt, A.Dip AB, Marine Zoology and Herptology
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I have some wonderful news to report. George is back. After almost a month, he has come home. Well, sort of. I had put up flyers all over the neighborhood. This morning, I was walking out the front door, and a man came up carrying George. Apparantly, he was hiding in his backyard, and the man's dog was barking at him. George seems no worse for the wear at all. He got a nice soak, and some yummy worms for a treat. We never would have found him, if not for our flyers. So, if you have lost an animal, put those flyers up. Thanks for all your info and help. He will not be out of our sight again, that is for sure.
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becky

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:34 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Congrats! That is wonderful news!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks. We are so very happy and excited that he is home. My 4 y/o---who is his "mommy"--- won't let him out of her sight LOL.

Becky

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Newborn Pup

I lost my turtle yesterday.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I am glad he is back and sorry to hear about your turtle red eared. I hope you find your turtle. The best idea for turtles i think is to get a rabbit run on the lawn for them that way they can wander about without wandering off!!! xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Newborn Pup

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by red eared View Post
I lost my turtle yesterday.
:[ im sorry me too i just lost mine today.. i left it outside to explore the backyard and went to buy fish for it to eat and when i came back it was gone :[ i cant find it anywhere what about u wat happend to urs?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 PM

i lost my turtle 10 days ago and he turnd up in my nabers yard.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Lovin' my pack!

Congrats on getting your turtle back.I've felt your same worry and relief when my dog went missing,then came back the next night..now I keep my third eye on the lookout all the time! lol!

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

Tags
box turtle