Paw Talk - Pet Forums

Paw Talk - Pet Forums (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/)
-   Dogs (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f9)
-   -   Bananas (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f9/bananas-26236.html)

Scarlette 02-28-2005 07:46 PM

Bananas

For the first time ever I have a dog that likes bananas...so my question is: Is it ok to give a small piece to Riley every once in awhile? She goes crazy if she sees me eating one and just has to have a piece! Scarlette turns up her nose and acts like I'm trying to poison her, which I hope I'm not doing to Riley by giving her a small piece of banana once in awhile.

Something else really weird that Riley loves is raw carrots. I'll be eating carrots and dip and give her some (minus the dip) and she'll gobble it right down. :rolleyes:

Sasami 02-28-2005 07:47 PM

I don't think it's harmful in small amounts...our dogs get banana slices sometimes.

RSbunny 02-28-2005 09:07 PM

Biscuit geets bananas as treats. I peel it and she bites into it, just like a human. Raw carrots can get lodged so just make sure your not giving her too big a chunk...in saying that Nacho used to eat whole raw carrots with no problems. But we also found metal bolts in his poo one day. He'd escaped the yard while I was at work. That boy could pass ANYTHING.

Dena 02-28-2005 10:21 PM

From what I have read carrots and bananas are safe to give to dogs. My dogs would eat anything anyway and then ask what it was later.

My cat varuka LOVES bananas, she's a freak.

ninja_smurtles 03-01-2005 05:26 AM

My puppy loves cucumber and tomatoes

TareG 03-01-2005 11:25 AM

My doggy loves olives and apples

Formula86 03-01-2005 07:47 PM

it's fine. :) penny's favorite food ever is apple!! :D she likes banana, too. :D it's good for them. just not toooo much.

Noo1home 03-01-2005 08:16 PM

My dogs like everything! One my dog got into some chocolate. (about 10 of those little dove chocolates) She didnt get sick at all. She also got into some halloween candy once. She was fine after that too. She likes toothpicks too. ;)

Formula86 03-01-2005 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noo1home
My dogs like everything! One my dog got into some chocolate. (about 10 of those little dove chocolates) She didnt get sick at all. She also got into some halloween candy once. She was fine after that too. She likes toothpicks too. ;)

you ARE joking, right??

chocolate can affect his/her heart and can kill the dog.
a toothpick could poke/scratch his/her esophagus or intestines. :(

Chinchilla_Girl 03-01-2005 09:03 PM

Yeah, be careful in putting up candy and chocolate :)
Bananas are safe to give on occasion...just one question. Don't they give your dogs GAS? They give Kali and Orion horrible gas! The kind of gas you don't only smell, but HEAR all night as it makes it's way gurgling through their system till finally POOOOT!! They fart and they fart LOUD! Next thing you know, even THEY are leaving the room! :rofl:

Dena 03-01-2005 09:52 PM

I noticed Tare said olives. That is one thing I try not to give only because it seems to work as a laxative. They eat an olive and they poop almost instantaneously. So no olives here.

pihlaja 03-02-2005 07:50 AM

I don't see a problem with bananas. :) My Seamus won't even THINK about touching one and Kirby will attempt to it eat it, but I think the texture of it puts him off. :lol: But put the bananas in a smoothie with oranges and strawberries and he'll gobble that right up. :lol: Smoothies give him the farts, though, so Sami only lets him lick the glass when he's done. :rolleyes:

My uncle once had a rat terrier that LOVED to eat orange peels. :yuck: It was so nasty. She would literally go to the trash can to drag one out and eat it. She was a true bottomless pit ... If you gave it to her, she would eat it.

Scarlette 03-02-2005 09:27 AM

It's funny you mention the rat terrier Rowan! We had one a very very long time ago and she was the same way. That dog would eat anything! My mom would joke that she was afraid to go to sleep at night cause she might wake up to the dog gnawing on her leg. :lol: