Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Badly in need of HELP with cat - wetting problem!!

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  RSbunny 
#1 ·
Backstory: A month or so ago, my boyfriend's mom's cat got a UTI (or so we think). He had all the symptoms but we unfortunately never got the chance to take him to the vet (I know, bad us!) For about three or four days he was straining in the box and wetting outside of it ... like he'd be at the window watching outside, jump down from the sill suddenly, run three steps, squat and wet.

This is a cat who never ever would go outside of his box ... and now he does all the time ...

He's not got any more symptoms of a UTI, he goes in his box just fine, the only thing is I think he's got it in his head that "Hey I don't have to use the box!" He'll stare you right in the face and go. I don't know if it's because he got into a habit from then or if it's because of his age (almost a year old - but I've seen cats spray and he's not spraying - he's squatting and wetting).

Anyway my question is, what can we do to curb this behavior? He would have a vet appointment to be fixed ... but if this behavior doesn't stop we will have to give him away and it's heartbreaking because she loves this cat :( We have washed all his favorite areas thoroughly (that's what makes me think it's similar to spraying - he always uses the same areas) but he continues to use them. He has a box upstairs and downstairs so it's not that he can't make it in time. Is there anything that can be done? Thanks in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
I suggest taking him to the vet also. maybe he has a toothache or some other kind of thing that is bothering him. I dont know a lot about cats but a friend had a cat that would use the sink instead of the box and he had to go have a tooth pulled. though i am not for sure if that behavior has stopped and I am not sure if it that could be a problem with that young of cat. But I say your best bet would be to have him taken to the vet.

Hope he gets better soon!!

#4 ·
I would say that this may very well be health related but it could be the behavior has stuck. You can't just wash away the scent of the urine... you need to use some special solutions and I don't think there is a 100% guarantee they won't pee there again. You can buy this stuff... double checked the name but my aunt seems to have switched to a new brand. Its called Simple Solutions, probably works the same as the old stuff. It smells kinda like ammonia for a while as it breaks down the urine but it workes pretty well. Scolding and a squirt bottle perhaps to try and curb the habit...

#6 ·
I have to agree...he needs to see a vet! UTI's don't just go away, in fact they spread to other areas and can cause serious damage. Sorry, but if this cat has a UTI it is inhumane to not have it treated!
If he checks out fine at the vet then you need to get to work on getting the carpet cleaned! My cat had issues when we first got him about not using his litter tray and he would pee (not spray) around the house. Simple Solutions isn't available in Aus so I used a mixture of white vinegar and water (50/50 ratio). Other types of cleaners usually have ammonia in them and the ammonia will smell like pee to your cat, so that could be why he is continuing to go in the same spots. I used the vinegar and water and on areas he was super persistent on I used a steam cleaner afterwards (after you get him checked out at the vet it might be worth hiring one and giving your caprets a good clean, it's going to be a waste if he has a UTI cause the problem is still there) and we fixed the problem.
I just had my cat at the vets a couple of days ago with a UTI. He peed on the beds. Cats that are perfectly toilet trained will let you know that something is wrong by peeing in places that they shouldn't.
Please please please get him a vet appointment to rule out anything medical. If a UTI is left untreated bladder crystals can form, which left untreated is life threatning and it's surgery to remove them, or a blockage, which of course a cat that can't pee also needs surgery or will die. I know it's hard to find time sometimes but it really is important to make the time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.