Paw Talk - Pet Forums

Paw Talk - Pet Forums (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/)
-   Cats (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f10)
-   -   Delayed reaction... (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f10/delayed-reaction-30668.html)

Keritsubo 10-03-2005 04:32 PM

Delayed reaction...

Okay, I don't know if this is something to be concerned over or not.

My cat is about 10 1/2 years old. This seems to happy only when I wake up in the middle of the night (so I might not be in the clearest mindset) but sometimes, I touch or shake her a little, even pick her up. She takes several seconds to 'wake up', as far as I can tell.

I do this because usually she does that 'trill' purr when I touch her or will lift her head at least when I do. When she doesn't I get this panic feeling. Ever since BooBoo has gone I seem overtly paranoid about this...

so is this delayed reaction something to be concerned about? my baby girl isn't showing any abnormal tendencies... or other symptoms of a possible illness.

Millimi 10-03-2005 05:03 PM

I don't know what it could be, but I hope you figure everything out soon! :xfingers: She'll be in my thoughts.

CTChin 10-03-2005 05:39 PM

Has she had a senior checkup at the vet lately? At her age a good exam and some basic bloodwork might help to ease your mind. It could be just a normal aging process that is causing her to sleep so deeply. Better to rule out other stuff first :)

Jade 10-03-2005 08:02 PM

I was going to say the same thing. Some routine bloodwork for a checkup would probably be a good idea. :)

Keritsubo 10-05-2005 08:23 PM

I took her for a checkup just not too long ago... I haven't done the bloodwork yet. I should have done it when I had the money. :( I'll figure something out though. I think she may be sleeping deeply. She seems to like to mimic what I do when I'm home. If I'm at the desk, she's here... if I'm on the bed she's there... so maybe when I sleep, she sleeps better too? cause when I'm at the desk she's never slow to react but then again, she always alway sseems to be you know, that half watching me with one eye thing...
I have my own doctors appointment and midterms next week. Once that is done I should be able to take her in for the blood work. The vet put in the slip thing said just bring her in whenever I could.

edit: oh and thanks for the help... I hope she's just sleeping deeply or my paranoia of loosing her makes me slow to realize she actually is awake I just can't tell half conscious in the dark...

pihlaja 10-06-2005 07:53 AM

Gerona sometimes falls into such a deep sleep that I can even give her a little shake a few times and she STILL won't wake up! She's given me a few scares over this because she goes limp as a noodle when she's in deep sleep mode.

So, it could just be her old age, but I agree with everyone else and that for peace of mind, you may want to have the bloodwork done when you can. :) But, my Gerona does this too, so I don't think it's too abnormal. I find some cats just go into deep sleep mode more often and for longer periods of time than others.

Keritsubo 10-08-2005 12:13 PM

Phew!!! Thanks, Rowan. I'm glad someone else has seen this happen. :) Like I said it only seems to happen when I've been sleeping too. Otherwise if I'm home, she's usually not sleeping but just like resting her eyes or something. :P Come next paycheck I'll put aside some money for bloodwork. Two or three paychecks and I should have enough.

Dallas 10-08-2005 05:13 PM

When cats get older, they do sleep a lot more soundly. My 17 year old sleeps like a log! You can sit on the couch next to him, the dogs jump up - he's out like a light. But he had his senior check up, blood is fine, he is fine - he just sleeps more, and deeper.