Paw Talk - Pet Forums

Paw Talk - Pet Forums (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/)
-   Other Exotics (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f25)
-   -   Lemurs (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f25/lemurs-37304.html)

GeishaGirl 10-23-2006 03:03 AM

Lemurs

:D :D I seen today on a episode of Miami Ink this woman had a pet Lemur!! The SWEETEST pet it seems!! Sat on her shoulder, gave kisses and walked on a harness like some freaky looking kid!! I so want one as a pet now, probably never would own one :rolleyes: but AWHH...reminded me of a bigger rat!! Anyone know more about pet lemurs or their info is welcomed!

Sasami 10-23-2006 02:07 PM

I don't think primates should be pets but that's just my opinion. Did they say how old the lemur was? Sounds like it was young...most likely when it gets older it won't be so sweet :(. I'm sure there are exceptions but I feel they are better left in the wild.

I know with monkeys people get babies so they will bond closer by bottlefeeding. This means that the poor mother used for breeding constantly has her babies taken away too early...it's depressing. I would assume the same happens with many lemurs though I'm not entirely sure.

Another issue is the fact that if your lemur was to bite someone (which is more likely then you'd think) and they reported it the lemur would probably be killed for rabies testing :(.

They can't really be housetrained anyways. I think that would bother me too much :lol:.

Amethystbelle 10-23-2006 02:36 PM

Lemurs shouldn't ever be kept as pets as they are very social and need to be kept with their own kind otherwise they can become very destructive and cause serious damage. They also have very large canine teeth at the front that can cause serious damage should they choose to bite.

I LOVE lemurs and they are my favourite animal besides degus. My favourites being the ring tailed and the black and white ruffed lemur. Lemurs are the most primative form of ape and their numbers are in decline through habitat destruction and from being hunted and they are sadly on the verge of extinction as they are only Indigenous to Madagascar. I go to a sanctuary (i say sanctuary its more like lemur heaven as they have the full run of a massive site and live naturally in trees or they can go into their huts should they wish) near me a few times each year to help out for a day and they can be the gentlest of creatures and it is a honour to sit with them and watch them interact and hand feed them. But they belong in the wild or places like this that can look after them and provide them with a colony of their own kind as thats how they live in the wild, in large family groups :)

candyraver 10-23-2006 03:29 PM

My mom used to want a primate as a pet. We were looking into capuchin& spider monkeys.I didnt want her to get either as a pet as they go bad apparently.Mom had the idea of it being like another child though they seemed like little terrors to me.I never looked into lemurs.Theres a show called zoobomafoo or something along that line.Theres a lemur on it =) Long story short. It would have costed much over 8000$ before we could even get a primate here.
I tried to get mom interested in kinkajous instead as I thought they were much more "pet material" then the monkeys she wanted.But she showed no interest in them whatsoever.

millie121 10-23-2006 05:47 PM

They're very cute, but best left in the wild. You'd be importing, depending on species/subspecies, an endangered or critically endangered animal. As mentioned, it's a very costly initial investment and long term upkeep would be costly as well. They are extremely high maintenance and you'd face the very high probability of having to rehome. Maybe the woman you saw on Miami Ink is a professional and qualified to have a Lemur, or maybe she just has more money than brains. I'd stick to the more conventional critters...you can help a LOT of them for what it would cost to have a lemur.

Leo 10-23-2006 06:19 PM

I also agree .... animals like Lemurs belong in the wild, the only acceptable captivity of them should be in a Species Survival Program (SSP) at a zoo or in an animal sancutary... The idea of having one sounds cool, but as a supporter of most animal conservation, the thought of keeping a Lemur in a private home is scarry....

There is a multi million dollar exotic species black market around the globe (think Tigers and other big cats, Monkeys, Lemurs, Giraffes, Rhinos, Elephants etc.)... it is a very sick and disgusting industry filled with cruelty and greed... I am actually surprised with all the work you do for PETA that you haven't come across this in their literature...whoever had that Lemur on that show more than likely got it from a non reputable source (aka Black market) and didn't even think they were doing anything wrong because the person that sold it to them fed them a line of BS to make them think otherwise. Buying truly exotic animals fills the pockets of very bad people (who may seem nice) and encourages cruel treatment of animals.

There are no reputable sources in the USA that would sell a Lemur, as mentioned before the only Reputable people keeping Lemurs here in the USA are at Zoos working with the SSP or possibly with an animal sanctuary which is where that poor little baby will end up when it becomes older and not as easy to handle.

A Lemur as a pet = very bad idea

candyraver 10-24-2006 12:47 AM

**I should add I was very glad that we could not afford the monkey.Their personalities didnt make me feel "ok" with having them in the house.& I think once mom finally would have realized that she didn't have another baby she could nurture on her hands & she would have to give it up she would be crushed.She was under the impression it could have a nursery room,play with toys & be like a toddler for its entire life.&& Was very upset that (me being an animal lover) couldnt find pro's for having a monkey as a pet.I think they are gorgeous creatures,but like tigers, best left in their natural habitat ;)

GeishaGirl 10-24-2006 09:00 PM

i KNOW i JUST :heart: THEM SOOO MUCH :)

VanillaRat 11-01-2006 09:45 AM

Lemurs are cute...but I agree...best left where they are.Same with monkeys and any wild animal for that matter.I think it is illegal to have anything like that (monkeys,lemurs,tigers...etc) as pets here in Newfoundland anyway.Which is a good thing!

GeishaGirl 11-01-2006 08:58 PM

IF I could own one it would be cool, but I would rather them in a wild habitat!!

Angelnstuff 11-02-2006 01:29 PM

heh, i always thought it would be cool to have a chimp, but then one day, while babysitting my sick cousin who well lets just say had some very nasty diapers.. my mom walked up behind me and said.. now imagine doing that everyday.. but with a hairy chimp! lmao i still think it would be really cool, so would a Tiger, but im not gonna run out and buy one..

lilalex0145 12-31-2006 12:03 AM

I am getting a marmoset in may... and even tho stephanie is trying to convince me not to get one... lol she tells me they are mean and get sick easily-- i dont care im still gettingg one.. lol... anyways... the breeder im getting it from is very reliable around my area of florida, and will train it for you no to bite and throw poop at you and stuff like that.. so thats why im going to try it out cantt waitt [=

candyraver 01-13-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilalex0145
I am getting a marmoset in may... and even tho stephanie is trying to convince me not to get one... lol she tells me they are mean and get sick easily-- i dont care im still gettingg one.. lol... anyways... the breeder im getting it from is very reliable around my area of florida, and will train it for you no to bite and throw poop at you and stuff like that.. so thats why im going to try it out cantt waitt [=

I wish you'd reconsider as well :worry:

millie121 01-13-2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilalex0145
.. so thats why im going to try it out cantt waitt [=

I'm not trying to pick on you, but I just have to say I get concerned when I see the phrase "I'm going to try it out" in this circumstance. Getting any animal, let alone a primate, isn't something just to be tried out.

nik8806 01-13-2007 05:54 PM

It just makes me angry when people think they can get a wild animals like that and keep it as a pet. Stupidest thing ive ever heard!! So I wont even go into it or I will be talking forever.
DEFINIELY reconsider... thats all I will say. :mad2: