Paw Talk - Pet Forums

Paw Talk - Pet Forums (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/)
-   Aquatic Discussion (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77)
-   -   I got a new betta....(pictures!) (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77/i-got-new-betta-pictures-38231.html)

CoCo Chanel 12-07-2006 10:00 PM

I got a new betta....(pictures!)
 
So I havent had kept a betta in years! And because petco.com is having a sale on the marineland 5g hex for 29.99 (use google checkout for 10 off 30 purchase) I bought one and brought a little betta grrrrl home!

Princess Leia! Her new dig is set up and running. After getting used to the filter, now she's zipping around and exploring. I wished I could get more plants, but our PetSmart got rid of all theirs and I dont think they're going to be selling any more. So until I can find another place that sells them...it's kind of bare. The one plant I managed to buy at PetSmart before they got rid of them would have to do. So now without further adieu, here she is!

She's a bit hard to capture as she likes to zip around every where! lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tta/betta4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tta/betta2.jpg

Her snail tank mate, Mister Crabby.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ta/betta15.jpg

She's checking him out hard core!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ta/betta12.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ta/betta10.jpg

Here's her empty looking home with no plants...anyone want to donate some? :bananarock lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tta/betta3.jpg

Sasami 12-07-2006 10:04 PM

Very pretty! You know, I have an awesome petstore where I live and buy all my live plants there. If you wanted I could buy some for you and ship them. I don't know how much shipping would be, though. Thing is, it's winter so it'd be best to do overnight shipping.

Also, I hate to be the one to tell you this but that tank is the most annoying tank ever to clean :lol:. I can't even fit my gravel vac in the openning. So I use a turkey baster...luckily it's extremely heavily planted so I don't need to do as many water changes.




CoCo Chanel 12-07-2006 10:08 PM

lol yeah i realized that after i got it! lol I really am looking for the whole "jungle look" but right now it's a bit impossible as all our LFS sux and the our PetSmart literally today got rid of ALL their plants. :crylaugh:

other than that, that would be an awesome idea...however it is getting to be pretty frigid here in nj also...i dont think plants will fare well...

i guess when I go visit friends in other parts, i'll visit their LFS to see if they have any plants.

do you have java moss by chance? they can survive the cold pretty well.

thanks so much!

Sasami 12-07-2006 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoCo Chanel
lol yeah i realized that after i got it! lol I really am looking for the whole "jungle look" but right now it's a bit impossible as all our LFS sux and the our PetSmart literally today got rid of ALL their plants. :crylaugh:

other than that, that would be an awesome idea...however it is getting to be pretty frigid here in nj also...i dont think plants will fare well...

i guess when I go visit friends in other parts, i'll visit their LFS to see if they have any plants.

do you have java moss by chance? they can survive the cold pretty well.

thanks so much!

I don't personally have any java moss right now but the store I mentioned occasionally has it. Not on a regular basis, though. They have two tanks with plants and have some really pretty/rare ones. I recently got a really cool plant that has little purple flowers. One of the stalks ended up dying because of CO2...issues :lol:. But the rest of the plant is doing great now.

I went with the jungle look on my Eclipse, too. These are pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...mi/Pets887.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...mi/Pets885.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...mi/Pets873.jpg

The tank actually looks a bit different now because I trimmed some plants, some have multiplied more, and I got a couple new ones. I should take a new pic soon. Anyways, I love planted tanks and three out of four of my aquariums are planted. The fourth one will be when I get decent lighting :).




CoCo Chanel 12-07-2006 10:24 PM

wow that looks great! what fertilizer do you use?

what plants do you have in there?

it's really a jungle!

the platies look great too!

i'm so jealous!

Sasami 12-07-2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoCo Chanel
wow that looks great! what fertilizer do you use?

what plants do you have in there?

it's really a jungle!

the platies look great too!

i'm so jealous!

Thanks!

I use Flora Pride (I think that's what it's called? haha) as fertilizer but not on a regular basis. I have a ton of water sprite and anacharis plus a few plants that I sadly don't know the names of. One plant (which you can't see in the pics anyways) has leaves that remind me of spinach so I call it "the spinach plant" :lol:. Apparently my fish took that name a bit too seriously and ate one of them and munched on the leaves of the bigger one. One of my other plants is most likely creeping jenny...I don't know if you can see that one in the pictures considering it blends in, hehe. It's way taller now and hard to miss. I had Cabomba until my platies ate it...that's one my favorite plants, too :(. Luckily I have some in a different tank.




VanillaRat 12-09-2006 12:16 AM

Awwww...she is a pretty little girl!




christine 12-09-2006 06:57 AM

I have the exact same tank and finally we (mainly James) emptied all the water from the tank and restarted because it was turning yellow! I will be more vigilant cleaning it though I cleaned it once a week... Anyway your betta is very pretty

Carissa 12-09-2006 08:20 AM

Wow shes a cute fish! nice name to. Thanks for sharing

candyraver 12-09-2006 03:39 PM

Pretty! I love the aquarium too ^_^
Mr.Crabby is a hermie crab? I LOVE hermit crabs :heart:
I don't have an aquatic one though .

Sasami 12-09-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyraver
Pretty! I love the aquarium too ^_^
Mr.Crabby is a hermie crab? I LOVE hermit crabs :heart:
I don't have an aquatic one though .

I believe it says in her post that it's a snail ;). Hehe.

Aquatic hermit crabs need saltwater set-ups.




candyraver 12-09-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoCo Chanel
Her snail tank mate, Mister Crabby.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ta/betta15.jpg

You are correct,I must be going blind :rolleyes:

:yes: I want a saltwater setup someday....thats like
sometime in the future though,as I'm just getting into aquariums.As in "into" them.
Awws,there are freshwater crabs though,like "fiddler" for instance.(not an hermit crab btw)
Good luck trying to keep them with fish :lol: ,BUT they can be kept with Anoles, fire-belly toads, newts,& dwarf African frogs... http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,...er%20Crabs.htm
I can see myself investing in them someday :D

Sasami 12-09-2006 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyraver
You are correct,I must be going blind :rolleyes:

:yes: I want a saltwater setup someday....thats like
sometime in the future though,as I'm just getting into aquariums.As in "into" them.
Awws,there are freshwater crabs though,like "fiddler" for instance.(not an hermit crab btw)
Good luck trying to keep them with fish :lol: ,BUT they can be kept with Anoles, fire-belly toads, newts,& dwarf African frogs... http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,...er%20Crabs.htm
I can see myself investing in them someday :D

There a few freshwater crab species but they are rarely available in the pet trade. Sadly, most of the "freshwater" crabs sold are actually brackish and require some salt in their water :(. Fiddlers are a good example.

Brackish tanks are kind of like between fresh and saltwater set-ups. It's basically a freshwater aquarium with saltwater added and most people use a sand substrate. I was interested in setting one up but decided to go straight to reefs.




VanillaRat 12-09-2006 09:15 PM

I wanted fiddler crabs,then did the research and found out they are not freshwater,as Stephanie said,they are brackish and require some salt.Pet stores sell them as "freshwater" animals,unfortunatly and having them live in freshwater can actually shorten their lifespan.




Sasami 12-09-2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I wanted fiddler crabs,then did the research and found out they are not freshwater,as Stephanie said,they are brackish and require some salt.Pet stores sell them as "freshwater" animals,unfortunatly and having them live in freshwater can actually shorten their lifespan.

Yeah, they only can live a few months in freshwater :(.

I think one day I'd like to have a pair, though. And maybe some mollies and bumblebee gobies which are also brackish.





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Contents Copyright 2001-2006 Paw-Talk Pet Forums and Paw-Talk.Net

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome