Paw Talk - Pet Forums

Paw Talk - Pet Forums (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/)
-   Aquatic Discussion (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77)
-   -   fishy fishies! (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77/fishy-fishies-40273.html)

Angelnstuff 03-17-2007 02:45 AM

fishy fishies!

i think im gonna get some fish tomorrow.. david was talking about wanting to go do something, so we might goto the city catch a movie and visit a pet store.. if nothing else comes up anyway..

so if i do get some fish, how many should i get? i know its not good to put too many fish in a new setup at once, but how many is too many? i was thinking of just picking out a couple guppies 3-4?.. is it ok to just get males? i mean they wont like fight because theres no females around will they? should i go ahead and get something for the bottem as well? maybe a cory, corys do better in groups tho right, is 3 ok? that would make 6-ish is that too many to put in at once? maybe i should just get the corys.. i like corys, now that i know what they are.. there kinda cute :)

anything else i should get if we goto a petstore? food prolly, do different fish need different types of food? i mean i know theres different things you can feed them but as far as flakefood goes, weve been using goldfish flakes to feed the tank, cuz they were cheap, and well we were thinking about getting gold fish at the time.. can they guppies eat those? or should i get some other kind of food?

Kendalle 03-17-2007 01:29 PM

you can get guppies and if its a big enough tank you can get more than 3 or 4, they wont fight even if its males and females we used to have them.. its fun when they have babies, and their life span isnt overly long.. if you get some hidy plants they will have itty bitty babies, and we had a placastomus with ours to clean up.

Sasami 03-17-2007 04:43 PM

Six fish would be pushing it...the tank might then go through another small cycle and there might be some ammonia. I would either start with the three guppies or the three cories :). Test the water daily and if everything is fine you can add another group of fish...maybe in about five or six days?

You can have all males as long as you have a bunch of hiding spots :). When I had my guppy tank I only had males. Yeah, cories like to be in groups. Keep in mind that if you get different kinds of cory cats they wouldn't always shoal.

I personally feel that different kinds of fish do indeed need different kinds of food. Some people just use tropical fish flakes (you shouldn't use goldfish ones...they are different) for all the fish but I don't agree with that. After all, you wouldn't use dog food for cats, rabbits, and guinea pigs, right? Research the kinds of fish you want to find the best diet. Guppies need a diet that is really high in protein. So besides regular fish flakes/pellets it's a good idea to supplement their diet with betta fish pellets or some other high-protein food. Frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp are also great sources of protein...plus they are much healthier then flakes. Frozen krill is another healthy meal for guppies that will bring out their color. Frozen mysis shrimp is another food I like to feed...it's really healthy and tasty (for fish, lol). Guppies aren't as likely to nibble at plants if you give them vegetables sometimes...mine liked carrots, romaine lettuce, and cucumbers. Cory cats do well on a diet of sinking algae wafers, the occasional vegetable (cucumbers and zucinni are good), and frozen bloodworms. Of course they also get bits of what everyone else is eating, lol.

As you might have guessed, I go pretty crazy when it comes to my pets' diets :lol:. I mostly feed frozen foods...you can get all sorts of kinds at the petstore though you may have to ask since they would be in the freezer. Variety is key. I would just pick up a bunch of different frozen foods plus some sinking wafers for the cories. Maybe get some flakes for days that you don't have much time, lol. I use flakes and pellets if I'm in a rush and don't have time to defrost stuff. They are also good if I go away...very easy for family members to measure and feed (though the saltwater fish absolutely need frozen foods...I'm picky with them, lol). But seriously, frozen foods are sooo much better then flakes. You'll really see a difference in energy, color, and overall lifespan.

sara8 03-17-2007 05:32 PM

Yeah we feed our fish bloodworms and brine shrimp, and a frozen algae mix along with flakes and our fish LOVE it.:)

Angelnstuff 03-19-2007 03:56 AM

I GOT FISHIES! :D

we got 3 guppies at walmart, since we couldnt get outta town at all this weekend. i know buying fish from walmart is kinda risky, but i figure since theres not anything else in the tank it should be ok.. they look ok, they sure do swim fast, it took her awhile to catch them.. altho it didnt help that the light over that tank was burnt out.there quick little things when they see that net coming at them.. it must look pretty scary.. the tanks all looked pretty clean, except the female guppy tank.. there were a few dead ones in there.. but im beginning to think its because of the ghost shrimp.. will they kill a guppy? cuz there werent any dead ones in any of the other tanks, and i know they all share the same fliter and stuff.. there were some tiny baby ones in the female tank too, they were soo cute!
so now im acclimating (sp?) them.. 1/2 water in the bag every 5-10 mins.. anyway, i'll post pictures, im gonna try to take pictures of them while there in the bag, so there all together.. so i'll post them in a bit

Angelnstuff 03-19-2007 05:34 AM

We'll i've looked everywhere for the cord to transfer the pictures but i cant seem to find it, maybe david put it up somewhere, so i'll have to wait till tomorrow to post pics.. but, while taking pictues ive decided that im pretty sure one of the guppies is female.. which if true means i have 2 males and one female.. poor girl.. how big of a tank would you need for one guppy? maybe we'll get her a 10 gallon tank and get her a friend, or just wait till she has her babies? as id asume shes pregnant, or will be soon no doubt. does anyone know the average measurements for a 10 gallon tank?

Sasami 03-19-2007 05:42 PM

Congrats on the new fishies :). Guppies are fun...I loved mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelnstuff
but im beginning to think its because of the ghost shrimp.. will they kill a guppy? cuz there werent any dead ones in any of the other tanks, and i know they all share the same fliter and stuff..

Nah, the ghost shrimp probably didn't do it. There are records of ghost shrimp attacking fish in higher temperatures but those seem to be a different species then the ones people keep in home aquariums. There was probably a disease or something. Or they might be new and some died from shock...

Quote:

We'll i've looked everywhere for the cord to transfer the pictures but i cant seem to find it, maybe david put it up somewhere, so i'll have to wait till tomorrow to post pics.. but, while taking pictues ive decided that im pretty sure one of the guppies is female.. which if true means i have 2 males and one female.. poor girl.. how big of a tank would you need for one guppy? maybe we'll get her a 10 gallon tank and get her a friend, or just wait till she has her babies? as id asume shes pregnant, or will be soon no doubt. does anyone know the average measurements for a 10 gallon tank?

Yeah, she probably is pregnant if she was being housed with males. Plus females can store sperm and use it later on, lol. You can house a few guppies in a 5-gallon, actually. So you could put her there with a few other girls. Now that you have a cycled tank it should be easy to cycle future ones since you can use filter media, substrate, and water from the cycled tank.

Angelnstuff 03-19-2007 06:10 PM

would a 2 gallon tank be too small for one guppy? someone had an add for one with a light and filter for $5 its prolly one of those plastic deals, would it be too small? i'd much rather get a 10 gallon but the display was gone at walmart the other night, so either they moved them or there out.

oh, and i was in a chat room last night, and someone said that the carbon in the filter is unnecessary unless your trying to remove medication from the tank, is this true? if so does it mean it should be taken out all together, or just that it doesn't have to be changed as often?

Sasami 03-19-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

would a 2 gallon tank be too small for one guppy? someone had an add for one with a light and filter for $5 its prolly one of those plastic deals, would it be too small? i'd much rather get a 10 gallon but the display was gone at walmart the other night, so either they moved them or there out.

oh, and i was in a chat room last night, and someone said that the carbon in the filter is unnecessary unless your trying to remove medication from the tank, is this true? if so does it mean it should be taken out all together, or just that it doesn't have to be changed as often?

A 2-gallon could house a guppy but I don't think it'd be the best permanent home especially since they like to have buddies.

Cheap 10-gallons are usually easy to find. I just got one a few days ago myself, lol. Check craigslist and freecycle :).

Carbon isn't needed but it isn't completely useless as it can remove chlorine, ammonia, and other "bad" things from the water. I can't think of a reason why someone would want to remove meds but yeah, it does that. Which is why fish medications say to remove carbon :).

I don't personally use carbon in my filters but have before when it happend to come with them, hehe.

Angelnstuff 03-19-2007 06:59 PM

ok i im soo slow.. the thing to transfer the pictures was sitting literally right in front of me the whole time, it was right next to the computer screen... heh..
anyway, heres some pics, they dont really do them justice of course....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/DSC00409.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/DSC00408.jpg
This ones really hard to get pictures of, hes real skitish
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/DSC00405.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/DSC00397.jpg
The one on top in this picture is the one im thinking is female.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/DSC00388.jpg

Sasami 03-19-2007 07:08 PM

Very pretty!! :) I miss having fancy guppies.

Sexing guppies is pretty easy. Just look to see if the one in question has a gonopodium and if so it's a male ;).

Here are pictures of a male and female for comparison which I got off Google:

Male: http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_0...le_sunrise.jpg

Female: http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fres...fe_guppy_s.jpg

Angelnstuff 03-21-2007 04:01 AM

heh i love my guppies :D there just so much fun to watch. I put my hand in the tank today to turn to reattach the theomometer, and the lil female came to check out my hand.. heh soo cute.
aanyway, i was wondering, do fish need the light off? i mean i know your supposed to turn it off for awhile each day to help prevent algea, but do the fish need it off for a certain amout of time each day?

Sasami 03-21-2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

heh i love my guppies :D there just so much fun to watch. I put my hand in the tank today to turn to reattach the theomometer, and the lil female came to check out my hand.. heh soo cute.
aanyway, i was wondering, do fish need the light off? i mean i know your supposed to turn it off for awhile each day to help prevent algea, but do the fish need it off for a certain amout of time each day?

Hehe, cute. My clownfish tries to attack my hand when I put it in the water :rolleyes:.

Yes, they do need it off so there is a day-night cycle. Fish go to sleep when the aquarium lights go off...if it was on all the time they wouldn't sleep and would get really stressed out.

Angelnstuff 03-22-2007 12:41 PM

yayz, i found someone on tradio selling two 10gallon aquariums, so i called and they said they also have a little 2.5 that they will include and one of them has fravel and filter and stuff, the others are just tanks, all for $25 yays. but its in leedy, which is 30mins away, and david doesnt have off until wednesday. bleh. he said he might call in sick either tomorrow or saturday tho, cuz hes got some stuff he needs to do too.. so the guy said he wasnt gonna list them again, but he didnt say he would hold them for us either, so yeah. i hope he does :)

Sasami 03-22-2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

yayz, i found someone on tradio selling two 10gallon aquariums, so i called and they said they also have a little 2.5 that they will include and one of them has fravel and filter and stuff, the others are just tanks, all for $25 yays. but its in leedy, which is 30mins away, and david doesnt have off until wednesday. bleh. he said he might call in sick either tomorrow or saturday tho, cuz hes got some stuff he needs to do too.. so the guy said he wasnt gonna list them again, but he didnt say he would hold them for us either, so yeah. i hope he does :)

I hope you get them! :)