Paw Talk - Pet Forums

Paw Talk - Pet Forums (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/)
-   Forum News (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f5)
-   -   An overhaul for paw-talk (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f5/overhaul-paw-talk-46064.html)

aviv_e 01-29-2008 04:18 AM

An overhaul for paw-talk

Hi Everyone,

It's been much longer than expected.. but today we've rolled out a "new" paw-talk :woot2: :woohoo:
This overhaul includes some UI changes, face-lift of the front page, and some more functionality- yet trying to preserve the familiar vBulletin look-n-feel that has been here for the last years.
So first- any feedback would be appreciated :D
We tested the functional aspects, and it looks good- forums work well, and we didn't find any problems- but as in most cases, it's most likely that a few bugs got sneak in- pls let us know about any annomaly you encounter.
This overhaul also includes the integration of a content-management-system, which would allow us to publish articles, FAQs, knowledge-base etc - helping to capture all the great nuggets of info that are spread among 340,000+ posts we have here.
I truly hope that we will utilize this great functionality offered by the content-management-system. I'm sure we'll mention it a lot in the future ;)

We'll also include a pet-of-the-month module, get the front-page image rotator to point to members images (oh, there's also the image gallery we have to put in to work here), and more. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome :)

Aviv.

luvnature 01-29-2008 09:25 AM

I logged on this morning, still sleepy eyed but then the new look of homepage sure woke me up quick :eyes: Looks good.
Just will take some getting used to :)

as for bugs...at the moment I cannot access the My Control Panel from the menu on the left column on homepage.

mulder 01-29-2008 10:06 AM

so far so good! i like the new homepage! very catchy, easily accessible, user friendly

VanillaRat 01-29-2008 10:14 AM

It was certainly a suprise! But I like it!!

christine 01-29-2008 11:29 AM

I will have to get used to it. I'm not sure if I like it or not yet...

luvnature 01-29-2008 11:47 AM

Just noticed that most of the "Popular Discussions" on the homepage are old, old threads.

:confused:

Kendalle 01-29-2008 11:49 AM

-nevermind- :edit

I like it i think

Formula86 01-29-2008 12:27 PM

I like it overall. :) Neat stuff. I like the picture slideshow.

On the other hand, the pages take a long time to load. Also, the text on the forums home page (for example) is so close to the text box lines that it's hard to read. It looks very compressed. And I would change the default font. This one is hard to read (very compressed, as well).

Oh, and I can't vote on what I think of the new PT (from the main home page).

Punxatawny 01-29-2008 01:07 PM

I have to agree with Formula, its hard to read the everything cause its so compressed into one another, is there any way to change that? its also a tad on the small side to read I find myself squinting at the forum page and thread names to read them.

luvnature 01-29-2008 01:11 PM

Yes, thats a good point. Things do look kinda squishy and I think that if the font was made larger and was a different type it would be much easier to read. Also, my posted glycerin soap ad in the classified section (http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f81/h...ize-45942.html) is all squishsed up in places. Don't know what happened. It wasnt like that before.

Nikko 01-29-2008 03:06 PM

I really like the homepage, but the colors don't look right, they don't totally match. So far I'm not liking the side menu, it squishes the forum and the colors don't match. Oh and the banner is blurry now.

Hey maybe since the forum is being changed so much a new banner should be made. Don't get me wrong the old banner is really nice, but a change is always nice. Plus there's been some people complaining that there isn't a guinea pig in it, lol. Maybe we could have a contest like someone suggested awhile ago, where anyone can make a banner and then the members could choose which one they like best. You could even put the old one in the contest cuz maybe some people would want to keep it the way it is.

Just a thought. :D

canadiancritter 01-29-2008 03:50 PM

I like it, I'm not to sure if anyones said this yet to lazy to read it all, but everything looks squished

luvnature 01-29-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Plus there's been some people complaining that there isn't a guinea pig in it, lol.

:hide:

rockman0 01-29-2008 04:22 PM

it looks nice. it is a little cramped like everyone said. but overall, it's a nice little change. and a banner contest would be really cool.

MañasMom 01-29-2008 05:07 PM

For me, it is very hard to read the font now. It seems smaller, and agreed, more squished.

Have to say, I don't like the side menu. It leaves a chunk of unused space down the side of threads, and makes the threads (and forums) squished and hard to read.