Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Missy

3K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  kristie0593 
#1 ·
Well Missy has always had troubles with RI's and such but last week she became VERY cold to the touch and i tried everything to warm her up and it seemed to work and she was almost her old self. Well i have been on holiday for a week and my sister has been caring for all my animals and she said that Missy had started to get skinny etc but is still eating and drinking perfectly normal well i came home yesterday and went straight to the cage obviously and OMG she is just skin and bone. We took her to the vets this morning and they did x-rays etc but say there is nothing wrong with her apart from the RI as always. She is constantly on Baytril but i am soooo worried about her as she has lost so much weight and looks really old and boney :( apart from that she is perfectly normal in every way playing,kissing me,eating,drinking etc. I have had her 6 months and when i adopted her they said she was only a baby so i dont think its old age unless they got it wrong coz the paperwork they gave me was for the wrong rat!!!

#2 ·
oh...i'm sorry..i advise you to maybe get some baby formula and feed it to her...that helps put weight on...hopefully she gets better.

#4 ·
:( omg i have no experience with rodents at all but i could'nt ignore this post !
im really sorry to hear about her :( i hope you find out what is wrong please let me know if you have any updates
lots of hugs xxx

#5 ·
It's not good to be pumping the same antibiotic into her. They just build up a resistance and they stop working. If the baytril didn't work the first time then the vet should have tried something else. A lot of times, a combo of antibiotics works best.

I would ask her vet if there is anything else you can try. URIs can be very deadly (I'm sure you know that)

#9 ·
Thanks for all your comments! She is eating everything i give her perfectly well and is drinking fine. She is totally normal apart from the rapid weight loss. There is apparently no other meds they can give her all they do for rodents and small animals is Baytril. She has had x-rays etc but there is nothing showing up so we are stumped as to what is wrong with her!!! She is perky this morning and has been playing fetch the string etc so she really is ok in herself just majorly skinny!

#12 ·
Vets typically want to act like baytril is the be all end all strongest rat antibiotic, but it's not Debbie Ducommun (The Rat Lady) publishes volumes of rat health care guides. I don't have her newest one, but the one I have has saved a couple of rat lives. In it she says that RIs not affected by baytril can be treated with difloxacin, chloremphenicol, gentamicin, and clarithromycin. It can also be treated by combining baytril with doxycycline or by combining baytril or gentamicin with amoxicillin or cefadroxil. I have listed these in order of strength. Maybe you could ask your vet about some of these. Also it's always good for everyone to have the Rat Lady's Rat Health Care book. I believe you can buy and download it online, and she even includes her phone number so that she can be contacted for consultation.

#11 ·
hmm...that's very weird...well i hope she gains soon

#14 ·
I'm so happy to hear she is trying to stay with you! Keep playing with her, kissing her and cuddling her and I'm sure she will pull through, give her some kisses from me please, she needs them LOL

Good luck!!!
x

#15 ·
Thanks for all your messages! They didnt see anything on the x-rays just normal rat bits lol. They said she was perfectly healthy in herself which makes no sense as she is skin and bone but she does seem totally fine in herself now just not got any weight behind her. I am carrying on with the baby food and bread aswell as egg and cheese and rat pellets to try and get her weight up i just hope she pulls through i cant lose her yet i have only had her 6 months and i love her sooooo much it would absolutely devastate me to lose her so soon!
I am giving her extra loving and kisses in the hope she is gonna fight whatever is happening all the way! I am also booking her in with a dif vet for a 2nd opinion and hopefully some other meds. there arent many rat savvy vets where i live so i had to dig about but i found another one!!!

#19 ·
:( :( :(

I'm soooo sorry hun!!! I hope your okay, we're here for ya, try to keep your spirits up!
Missy is in my thoughts and dreams, as are you!
xxxxxxxx
RIP: Missy, lovely rattie..x

#20 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I am not OK though i am absolutely gutted. I havent stopped crying since i found her. My husband buried her in the garden for me. It's so heartbreaking,she didnt even close her eyes :( I know it will get easier eventually but its just so hard!

#21 ·
oHhHh... bless her, poor lil'thing :(
I dread the day this happens to me!
I really hope you cheer up soon hun, it is as you say, too heartbreaking!
xx

#22 ·
Thanks. Its gonna take me a while to get over her though she was my first ever rat and the reason behind my addiction lol. I cant look at her cage as its not normal seeing the 3 in there without her. It just makes me cry harder. xx

#23 ·
I know what you mean, how are your other rats getting on without her, when we lost Rayray in the house for four days, seeing Pepper so sad and miserable was enough to make me cry :(
Now Rayray is back though, so thats good ;)

Pepper and Rayray were my first rats and the reason i'm addicted to lol, dunno if I will ever live without rats now.x

#24 ·
Tessie and Pica are clearly devastated but Lara isnt really bothered. Lara only lived with her for just over a month whereas the other 2 lived with her for over 7 months. They are not interested in treats or anything which isnt normal especially for Tessie!! I know they will be ok in time or at least i am hoping they will! Missy was VERY popular they all love her as much as me and my hubby do.My son is also gutted bless him. x

#25 ·
aww, I feel bad for your son- him being young and all :(
I'm sure your ratties will get over it soon, it always adds to the pressure when you see your pets suffering to!
xx

#27 ·
Thanks. Yeah i hate to see any of my pets suffer. I tried everything i could to nurse Missy back to health but she was obviously too far gone for me to make a difference. I only wish she had shown signs earlier so i knew before it was too late! I am glad she didnt suffer though even at 1am this morning she was still full of beans and kissing all round me etc! Bless her little cotton socks. xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.