Paw Talk - Pet Forums

Paw Talk - Pet Forums (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/)
-   Rabbit Discussion (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f27)
-   -   My Mini Rex is aggressive (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f27/my-mini-rex-aggressive-48470.html)

EmmaRoo07 06-12-2008 07:10 PM

My Mini Rex is aggressive

I have a female Mini Rex named Emma who is 9 months old and she is kind of aggressive and dominant out of her cage. I let her out and she is sometimes fine until I sit down and then she comes over and nips my sides and then sometimes if I am standing she will circle and nip/hump my legs. I have had her for about a month. I am planning on getting her spayed soon. Any suggestions??

AlmostTan 06-12-2008 08:00 PM

You're doing the absolutely best thing possible for the situation by getting her spayed. Within a month of the spay, her hormones should calm down and most of the behavior should cease.
If it happens anytime you're near her play area, she more than likely is feeling territorial (which the spay will greatly help her).
Bunnies who remain aggressive after a spay are usually worked with by misdirecting their "bad" behavior. That information ca. Be found on the House Rabbit Society website.
In the meantime, idk about everyone else would do, but I'd use distraction. Approach her area with treats (read: healthy vegetables), and bunny friendly toys! That way you won't be permanently seen as a threat to her. How long have you had her?

Luckybunny 06-13-2008 12:41 AM

When we brought Molly home from her spay, the behavior was stopped immediately. She had nipped, circled, lunged, humped and sprayed us. We pretty much couldn't do anything with her because she was so annoying. Those were the longest three weeks waiting for her scheduled surgery. She is a totally different bunny now. A real sweetheart. Spaying is the way to go to reduce those behaviours. :thumbsup:

Bowden-ruth 06-13-2008 05:07 AM

tbh (to be honest) My other rabbit was like this !! Unfortunatley she died almost 1 year ago. Now i have 3 now lol :L

Anyway the rabbit that died was very aggressive also !! I had problems getting her out of her cage. He would lunge at me and bite me. But she never sprayed me !! I do not know why she done it, i think that it was all just territorial. I think getting your rabbit spayed is the best possible thing.

EmmaRoo07 06-13-2008 06:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've had Emma for about a month. She is not territorial in her cage. She is ready and waiting to get out because she loves to be out and running around. She was a show bunny and was never out of her cage to play or be handled much and loves her new found freedom. I don't ever force her out but i can't get her back in unless I put her in. She is great when I am holding her. It is just when I am on the ground or standing either in her play area or in her way ( i would sit and block her from getting to something) and since she is so determined she runs around and bites me.

Oh and she is not very interested in treats out of my hand or really ever. She has never had them before and will take a bite of carrot from my hand and then won't eat them until she is in her cage.

Bowden-ruth 06-13-2008 09:37 AM

i think that its may just be bonding that will help her !!
When you have her out and she gets stressed just rub her nose this calms them down !!

EmmaRoo07 06-13-2008 10:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

kathydip 06-13-2008 05:05 PM

Fromper has trained his bunner very well to go back in his cage. I believe he would put baby carrots in his cage to lure him in. I am sure Fromper will be able to tell you more.
I am sure that once she is spayed she will calm down some. How much out of the cage time does she get?
Good luck with her!

Dragonrain 06-13-2008 05:24 PM

You can train rabbits to go back to their cage themselves relatively easily!

I actually kind of taught this to my rabbits by accident, but I'm glad it worked out that way!

Find a treat your rabbit likes (I use papya tablets). Hold the treat near the cage and don't give it to the rabbit until it goes into the cage. If your rabbit won't take treats from you yet, just put the treat into the cage so that when she goes in on her own, they'll be a treat in there waiting for her. Your rabbit should learn to associate going back into its cage with getting a tasty snack.

Eventually you can associate a command with it. Like tell your rabbit "Go to you room", then give it a treat when it goes in it's cage. For me, every time my buns head the sound of the papya tablets shaking around in the container, they run into their cage and wait for me to give them one. :)

Try not to chase the rabbit around to take it out or put it back into the cage, if you can help it. You want to teach her to trust you.

As for the aggression, like everyone else said, that should improve once she's spayed.