Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

kermit needs a new home

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Kendalle 
#1 ·
Kermit my iguana has slowly but surely out grown his superpet iguana or ferret multi level home and now is in search for a new home.

I have looked long and hard for a cage large enough for my scaley friend that is not you know $1,000. I find it crazy that a large cage that is 30x30x60" is far more expensive then dog kennels that are 10x10x15' and a dog kennel that is 5 by 10 by 5 foot is the same price too. gah. and they are all 700+

but in my searches i gave up on pet cages, both reptile and bird and ferret and chinncila and yada yada yada no good. too espensive and too small.

But i did find ONE ray of hope. A dog kennel by petsmart is 4 foot square and 6' high may be PERFECT small enough to be inside and big enough for the guy to move around

plus if i want i can make it only 2x4' 6' tall then bigger later. and its only $200

however i still have to figure out the bottom and top, i think for the bottom i will get a sheet of coroplast and the top i will get some caging that i already have.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...D11-98CA-001422107090&utm_source=cse#prodTab1

this way i can set up shelves the way i want and lots of toy options

what do you think? can you find where it says how big the holes are?

See less See more
#2 ·
when i read the title of this thread i thought you had to get rid of kermit, almost lost my coffee! lol *whew* yay new cages!! i dont know much about the needs of reptiles, but the cage you linked looks great!

#6 ·
Your amazing, i have been thinking of what i could use for that space i think he might be too big to fit through but not too big to get stuck

They also make those foam pipe insulators for very cheap that might work

haha I got you guys scared. I would never get rid of him hes the perfect pet, quiet, doesn't shed hair, independant when you don't have time to mess with them much, clean non smelly and snuggles at bed time

#7 ·
When I had my iguana my dad built me a cage...it was nice, but I gave it to my brother...and since then his friend has made like 100 of them off my dads idea lol....

I love the thought of the dog kenel because you can customize it, change it up or what ever...put big branches in and wow he will love it :)

#8 ·
see, my dad could make a cage easily but for me it is more expensive to make a cage because i don't have all the tools already. and the cage material is so expensive but you get a LOT more than i need but still have to buy it all so i think that would work best for me and someday i will make one of those tall cat things with the levels and the bed on top. out of carpet ya know?

#9 ·
I also thought that you needed to re-home kermit and was like WHAT?!?!?!

Then when I started reading I was going to suggest to build your own, but that dog kennel looks great! I really like it as long as he can't get out, as has been already pointed out.

In case you still want to check out some build your own cages, check out this page:
http://www.iguanaden.org/housing/cageplans.htm

#11 ·
We were planning on going to another city to get the kennel to day and I called them, they told me oh, its $250 now sorry. So I called another petstore in another city and they had it for $189 but still a few hours drive, so in last chance I called the petstore here in town.

The girl told me "oh, we don't carry that kind, but we have any size you want." I asked for 4'x4'x6' tall and she said yes we have that for $80. So we went and the one she was talking about was a carrier, not big and not what we want.

However, we found the cage we were looking for to begin with that they said they don't carry, and we got it!!!!!!

so now I just need to find a top and bottom stuff for making the holes smaller and inside stuff and call it good and he will be happy.

#13 · (Edited)
yea the people at the petstore were like wow, he's going to be in heaven, but really its not that big for a full grown ig, but he will be out a lot.

Now i am looking for a floor, i planned for coroplast but they sell 4x8' which is too small so i guess i will need 2. blah. thats like $30 or something i think. grrrr.

the last time i got it for my guinea pig they were kind of jerks, but i think they were just bored maybe my dad has something laying around. i will search tomorrow. and i have to go to the river to search for branches and shelves for him and search my dads shop for a top.

my mom said i can take their thing of change and use that for spending money normally there is $50 in it so that will go a long way on his cage......... I hope

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.