Paw Talk - Pet Forums

Paw Talk - Pet Forums (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/)
-   Animal Welfare & Legal Issues (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f95)
-   -   Cruelty to the little ones... (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f95/cruelty-little-ones-50161.html)

shanie81 10-21-2008 09:57 PM

Cruelty to the little ones...

Not sure if this fits here or in rants, but I HAD to vent...

I went to this great little local petstore this weekend... they don't sell animals, mostly just dog and cat stuff. Went in to get a brush and some toys for Drizzt... the girl who works there is a big small animal lover, and asked if I wanted to adopt a rat or two. We really don't have the time/ space for another new animal right now, but I'm considering because....

I live/work on a college campus. This past weekend, a couple of guys went to a big pet store somewhere in the city, bought about a dozen rats, and SET THEM FREE IN A SORORITY HOUSE. by the time rescuers arrived, girls were actually trying to stomp on them. So this girl has a bunch of poor little rats living with her.

WHO WOULD SELL THESE GUYS A DOZEN RATS???? shouldn't that raise suspicions??????????? and who would do that. I just recently lost my little pet rat, but I have never had a sweeter more emotional little animal in my life. I'm so upset. IF anyone in the South Chicago area wants a rat, I can put you in touch with one....

VanillaRat 10-31-2008 07:55 AM

I am sorry to hear your upset.It is sad.
However ANYONE can walk into a pet store and buy a dozen rats with no questions asked.They could be for feeders (I am not against that),pets (but as much as I am a crazy rat lasy I wouldn't buy that many pet rats from a store in one time...vet bills galore!) and sadly idiots like those guys that released them on campus! :mad2:

Pet stores don't screen people and most ppl don't care anyway...as long as they make a buck.

Jennicat 10-31-2008 08:11 AM

That's why I don't spend any money if I can absolutely help it in a store that sells animals.

Purple-Hops 10-31-2008 09:51 AM

that is sooo sad. hun, did the rats get rescued? thats too bad,i would put a complaint in to the store about the sale.

shanie81 11-11-2008 09:23 PM

hey, hadn't checked up on this in a while... yeah from what i hear the ratties found homes and a complaint was filed. let's hear it for the awesome girl who took them all in at once!!!

Purple-Hops 11-12-2008 09:30 AM

:raiseroof:woohoo::woot2:

kathydip 11-12-2008 10:11 PM

What is wrong with people?
I am so glad to hear that they have a proper home.

Foxyshedevil 11-13-2008 07:26 PM

The guys who did that need their heads checked! Who in the world would do something so terrible!!?!

That girl took in ALL the rats? What an angel! That's so awesome, especially considering the circumstance! *applauds* :)

marmalade 11-13-2008 09:31 PM

God, its insane! I wish I had room and lived in that area and I would take one :(.Many people have some idea that rats are dirty, scary, and that since most are only about four dollars that they dont deserve proper care. People call me stupid for bringing my rat and mouse to the vet, but who is to put a price on a life? Congratulations to the girl that took in all those rats. Its good that they all survived! Thank goodness for people like her.

VanillaRat 11-14-2008 10:08 AM

Yeah,I have been looked down upon for taking rats to the vet.People think "it is a $10 rat - why pay alot of money and vet care when you can just get another?".When I took rats to the vet,people have thought I was crazy! Oh well.

CapriceCritters 02-18-2009 09:37 PM

Just wanted to say I love the name of your pet - Drizzt.

I love that series. R.A. Salvatore is an excellent writer. :)

As for the rats, people think using frogs/rats/mice etc to scare people is fine, probably because of the low price tag that they do carry. *sigh* Thank goodness that sweetie was there to take them all in. I know I'd probably be rushing to a store to get some bins to use as temp cages in her situation, too. :)

marilynmarilyn8 02-05-2010 07:23 AM

Advice

This is really very bad and cruel.I think all the animals lover will find it disgusting.I am happy that those rats are survived and thank to that girl.

1bellababy 04-15-2010 04:01 PM

Cruelty to the big ones too. I just saw on my news about a horse someone drug behind their truck

1bellababy 04-15-2010 04:01 PM

They haven't caught him yet

1bellababy 04-15-2010 04:02 PM

The owner of the horse came home and found him that way. Sad sad sad