Paw Talk - Pet Forums

Paw Talk - Pet Forums (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/)
-   Other Exotics (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f25)
-   -   who have an exotic mammal here? (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f25/who-have-exotic-mammal-here-51491.html)

swedishfish 01-17-2009 10:04 AM

who have an exotic mammal here?

if you have an exotic mammal please vote and tell about it! and if you have one i forget to list in the poll please tell me! exotic mammals are so intressting so say things like what you feed and is it tame and would you recomend as a pet.

i will start, as you may know i have 2 richardson ground squirrels name Izzy and Swen(both males)they foods are fescue grass and orchard grass and and alfalfa and rodent block(high pritien) timothy pellet and vegetables evey day and hookbill pellet (small amount for the seeds) also ocasonaly insekts (criket mealworm) and oats. yes they are both soo tame and love to be held and sit on my head and love anyone who give them attentons. i definatly would recomend them they are so awesome pets because they are clean and cute and friendly BUT only if you have enuf time because you cant just let them out and ignore them you must play with them alot or they will get lonly.

so pleaseplease tell about your exotic pet :yes:

Sasami 01-18-2009 12:18 AM

I have three degus, which are considered exotics here :). They eat Sunscription Degu pellets, unlimited timothy hay (sometimes oat, meadow grass, brome, orchard, or herb hays mixed in), and fresh vegetables and herbs (romaine lettuce, parsley, mint, basil, escarole, chickory, etc.).

They are extremely friendly, outgoing, and easy to handle...but kind of hyper and bouncy. Hikaru, my oldest, is also the calmest and likes to cuddle. The other two, though, don't stay still for as long.

swedishfish 01-18-2009 12:13 PM

thankyou sasami for telling about degus! sorry but i cant figure out how to edit my poll to add degu?:confused: so if somone could tell me i apriciate it.

there is other votes so please whoever voted tell about your exotic! somone other have ground squirrels? i would love to compare info since they are rare. and whoever have opposum and cavy and aguti and kinkajou please post what they are like.

Georgia163 01-18-2009 12:29 PM

Haha, this is like the first poll ever that Jird has appeared on :) .. I'm well happy now. So yeh, I have a jird, Minnie, shes 9 months old and shes a right little menace, but we love her for it.

Chypmunk 01-26-2009 02:23 PM

I have two male chipmunks, about half a year old, named Poet and Charlie. They were in separate litters, the last of the year, but because of petstore traumas aren't completely tame yet. They get frightened easily but are used to humans now - I can pet them and hold them but not for long! Never been bitten yet, either. Charlie is a bit older, and larger. Unlike having their own nest boxes as chipmunk books say they do, they share one (I think from early trauma/bonding). He used to sleep half on Poet in the box, and is known for his big rear end (Fat Charlie). Poet was a bit younger, still growing up when I got him. He likes getting up in tall places keeping watch and is more used to me than his surrogate brother is.

They live in a four level wire cage, 5 feet tall, with three nest boxes, a miniature waterfall, real branches to climb and plenty of hiding spots. They get fed squirrel feed, mixed with Nutriphase mouse feed, an array of seeds, nuts, fruit & veggies and other treats like peanuts. Plus three different supplement vitamins and bee pollen (anyone else ever used it? Or honey?). They get their own room to run around in which is fairly chipmunk-proof. Pictures coming once I post on here often enough!

swedishfish 01-27-2009 06:47 PM

georgia i have never aktualy seed a jird in person but i have seed pictures of Minnie she is cute!

chypmunk your chipmonks sound really cool i cant wait for pictures. i sell bee pollen at a market(among other things) and apparently it helps with alergys also a good for nutrient supplement in humans. i have never heared of itt for animals but i geuss it could work the same. honey i would think have a very high sugar content but in very small amount is fine. but i would think the nutrient consentration is low? but really i dont know much about it. so do your chipmonks like to eat it or you have to mix it in with somthing?

Chypmunk 01-27-2009 11:55 PM

I haven't tried honey, I was thinking about the mineral content and antibacterial goodness when suggesting it. The bee pollen I use, I have it sprinkled over their food mix once it's been mixed with vitamins and is set in the bowl. For me adding the pollen is the last step.
I can't wait to post the pictures, I have tons XP I have a couple videos of them on Youtube, too.. (Search Poet & Charlie)

Quote:

Originally Posted by swedishfish (Post 547997)
georgia i have never aktualy seed a jird in person but i have seed pictures of Minnie she is cute!

chypmunk your chipmonks sound really cool i cant wait for pictures. i sell bee pollen at a market(among other things) and apparently it helps with alergys also a good for nutrient supplement in humans. i have never heared of itt for animals but i geuss it could work the same. honey i would think have a very high sugar content but in very small amount is fine. but i would think the nutrient consentration is low? but really i dont know much about it. so do your chipmonks like to eat it or you have to mix it in with somthing?

Georgia163 01-28-2009 01:58 AM

Thank you 'Swedishfish' (sorry don't know your real name). I'm going to put some more pictures of Minnie up on here, and feel free to ask any questions. xxxx

swedishfish 01-28-2009 10:49 AM

chypmunk i looked at a video of them they are cute, look very hyper and i love the stripes

georgia i do have a question, since jirds are native to desert(but im not sure about that so tell me if im wrong) do you give yours extra heat, or shes fine at room temperature?(btw my name is Aiden)

Georgia163 01-28-2009 12:00 PM

Ok, Aiden, yes Jirds are native to the desert but,, as in the destert the climate changes rapidly from day to night.. (it is very cold at night in the desert due to lack of cloud coverege). Jirds are fine at room temperature. They do enough running around to keep themselves warm. And their coats change.. at the moment she's malting so if i cuddle her I get absolutely covered in Jird fur.. :D

JennLin22 02-03-2009 03:12 PM

I have a chipmunk also. I have him in a flight cage with shelves, a nestbox, and a solid wheel. I feed him a parrot seed mix, rodent blocks for vitamins/minerals, and he gets fresh fruits/veggies several times a week. He's very friendly and likes to climb around on me. ;)

TamanduaGirl 04-04-2009 02:50 AM

Why didn't you put an other option if you wanted others to reply?

Anyway Anteater and it's covered in my FAQ a but or Google Anteater Care Sheet, I've got mine a few places too.

Georgia163 05-18-2009 01:55 AM

Who Else Has A Jird? - There Are 3 Votes =S
Haha, I Thought I Was The Only One
xx

charlie28 05-23-2009 04:50 PM

Heya georgia im the second vote, but not sure who the 3rd one is :s ..mystery :D

gr8pots 06-05-2009 11:00 AM

Well I have two Sugar Gliders. I was surprised they weren't on the list above. :(