Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

does anyone's rabbit eat their litter

19K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  keieeeye 
#1 ·
ok,I have 2 rabbits. love them alot. problem is they eat their litter. I feed them just fine and they eat very well. what am I suppose to do,my cage I bought for one of them has not come yet,and I am concerned about this. can't they get sick from digesting this.:wavey:

#2 ·
What type of litter are you using?

#3 ·
Yeah,bunnies will likely nibble on their litter...Try layering hey on top of the litter or buying one of those grate things you can place right over the litter so they can still use but cant eat the litter media. Yes, depending on what your using for litter it can make them sick or even kill them. Clay based litter used for cats will clump in their intestines and end up killing them,corncob molds fast and can kill them as well....I recomend paper based litter such as Yesterday's News..It absorbs like sponge ,retracts odors and if consumed will only pass due to its ability to break down..Try to train your bunnies to not eat it by placing exrta hay in racks and treating them or praising them when they refrain from eating the litter.. Good luck

#4 ·
thanks

ok the litter i have is like paper,and I would never use clay cause I know that would kill them.
also I do give them treats but here and their he gets noisy and eats the litter.

i have to buy one more cage cause I only have one so far.
they both use to live in a finch cage cause that was all i had,then i tried a tank as big as one for fish.
anyway where do i get a liner at to seperate the litter from cage and rabbit.
i just got this cage from drs foster and smith
and they have good stuff but no liner to block from the litter
how do I look for that let me know and thanks:thumbsup:

#5 ·
about the litter and cage

ok my husband just told me,that the kind of cage we have is not meant for a grate hun. it is meant to put litter in it.
the litter i first bought was like paper.
but when I bought new litter with the cage. the litter I am not using is good,I have not used it yet. but it is called aspen bedding and litter.
size 4 cubit foot. and also putting grass down in there would be bad due to my rabbit is silly and still eats past that.

anyway I will get myself a grass holder and install in cage. and thanks

#6 ·
there are sheet type things you canhave cut to fit the interior of your litter box or if its made by certain companies who also make the liners to actually attach to the litterboxes...You can fit a grate type thing in any litter box whether its made for cats or small animals...How big is the cage and is there any toys?? Your bunnies might be eating the litter out of boredom or lack of space??? I havent caged my rabbits before so Im not sure how they get in a cage after a few hours...I know someone here had fit a wire grate un the litter box to stop the bunny from eating it.....ot sure but will conduct some sort of archive search.

#7 ·
Holly lives in a cage with a litterbox in it that has recycled paper litter and a hay manger over it on the cage wall. I haven't seen him eat the litter, but he'll sit in the box and nibble the hay. I also let him out every day after dinner until I go to bed, and usually in the afternoons as well, and once or twice when he was restless in the early morning (I sleep right next to him, so if he needs anything, I will know!) but he doesn't seem to get bored or anything... of course he has hay all over the place and unlimited pellets (he's still a baby) and there's a couple of raised places he can climb onto, and he seems fairly happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.