Paw Talk - Pet Forums

Paw Talk - Pet Forums (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/)
-   Dogs (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f9)
-   -   Mounting At The Dog Park (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f9/mounting-dog-park-54497.html)

Taralupe 09-15-2009 12:38 AM

Mounting At The Dog Park

I have had my 11 yr old coydog since 2004 and he has been fixed since the same year. I adopted him as a rescue so he was neutered later than is ideal but never used to mount any other dogs when we went to the dog park or visited people with other dogs. Now that he is getting older he has been mounting dogs at the dog park more and more often!
He is impossible to correct when he finds a dog he fixates on and I often end up leashing him while my other dog socializes. He never mounts my other dog, he seems to target at random who will get his "attentions" and will stalk it until I go pull him off and leash him up. I have been told to just let him mount and eventually he will assert dominance and leave the dog alone.... not the case, he will follow the dog around for hours mounting it repeatedly. Even a good solid bite to the face does little to drive him off.
I'm sick of being the owner of the dog pervert!! Any tips on why he is mounting so badly in the last year or so or any tips on how to stop this? Its gone beyond a dominance issue and is the only thing I cannot call him off of.

Sasami 09-16-2009 03:08 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's fairly typical coydog behavior. If it was me, I'd probably not bring him. Sorry I can't help :(.

Taralupe 09-16-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasami (Post 574588)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's fairly typical coydog behavior. If it was me, I'd probably not bring him. Sorry I can't help :(.

Actually wild dogs like wolves and coyotes don't mount in the wild. As for it being 'a coydog thing' being that a coydog is just a mix between a domestic and a coyote depending on what dog is mixed you can get quite a variety of behaviors.
And it is just a recent thing that started shortly before I got my second dog and I have no idea why. He is neutered and never causes any other dogs anything but a little bit of aggravation so I see no reason he cannot join in at the dog park. I only leash him if it reaches an obsessive level.
Plus I'd like to fix the problem, not ignore it and isolate him :\

Kendalle 09-17-2009 12:56 PM

i was at the dog park yesterday and there was one toy poodle that kept mounting another dog constantly. If you caught him right when he was thinking abut it and told him no he would stop but if not he would hump for ever. She was thinking about bringing a squirt bottle next time and spraying him every time he did it. Hoping that would work.

other than distracting him i don't know any good advice.

ratty_ratkins 09-17-2009 09:24 PM

if mine hump they get a time out. Works like a charm, and no more humping!

I catch Ruckus humping, and say " NO HUMP!" then leash him and put him in a sit stay while I sit on the bench for a while. Just after a minute i let him go back to playing. then he does not do it again. When I first started doing this with him he learned that humping means time out only after the third time! and TADAH!!! humping problems was resolved for me. maybe it will be that easy with you.

wishbone 09-18-2009 01:39 AM

Have you tried spraying water on him whenever he do that? This kind of method (distracting) works to immediately stop and get dog's attention.

Taralupe 09-18-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins (Post 574770)
if mine hump they get a time out. Works like a charm, and no more humping!

I catch Ruckus humping, and say " NO HUMP!" then leash him and put him in a sit stay while I sit on the bench for a while. Just after a minute i let him go back to playing. then he does not do it again. When I first started doing this with him he learned that humping means time out only after the third time! and TADAH!!! humping problems was resolved for me. maybe it will be that easy with you.

I have tried time outs and nothing. He has really good focus lol. I have also tried squirt bottles and a shake can filled with beads that make a sudden noise. They work for that second but not after... sometimes he's just smitten. He will listen to commands but as soon as he is released from a down stay or sit stay he goes right back at it.