Paw Talk - Pet Forums

Paw Talk - Pet Forums (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/)
-   Mouse & Rat Discussion (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16)
-   -   Integrating Mice (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/integrating-mice-57484.html)

Wolf 08-09-2010 07:42 AM

Integrating Mice

This is probably a very stupid question and I apologize in advance. I have a handsome mouse whose partially blind, and two 5week old baby boys, I'm trying to integrate them together so they can spend time with each other as mice are social animals, but all i keep getting is fights among the boys. one is very submissive but the other will fight back and then he'll fight with his brother after. Is there anyone who's managed to get their pets to get along or is this just going to persist.

PS. the two young ones share a cage together, but the older mouse is on his own

Dustette 08-09-2010 09:24 AM

I never owned mice, but i think male mice cannot be kept together most of the time because they fight. It is most likely that you will need three cages for 3 boys.

mtmaughan 08-09-2010 11:55 AM

Male mice generally do not do well together and can severely injure or even kill one another in fights. If the cage is large enough then the brothers MIGHT be able to live together since they were raised together. Usually male mice which are kept alone do just fine. Keep the brothers separate from the older one and make sure you have an extra cage around in case you need to separate them if they start fighting when they mature more.

windyhill 08-09-2010 01:38 PM

Female mice are social, but males not so much. Male mice usually dont get along. Theres cases where they can (usually brothers) but more often then not they will fight and kill each other.

Mossa 08-09-2010 01:51 PM

My male mouse likes being by himself...he didn't even like the toy mouse I put in there for him to cuddle.

Wolf 08-09-2010 04:29 PM

Well the two young boys are in a cage together and are fine, occasionally they have a little tiff but that only happens when they've been out of the cage for a run and are put back into the cage. the older boy has his own cage he's always been separate because well he's my special one :) and hes about 3 times as big haha. I've been able to have male guinea pigs together as long as they never were introduced to females. Wouldn't this be the same with mice?
My big boy is fine by himself he's always been by himself in a cage and I've never seen any problems

Jennicat 08-09-2010 04:40 PM

No, unfortunately mice and guinea pigs are vastly different species.

Sasami 08-10-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 604834)
Well the two young boys are in a cage together and are fine, occasionally they have a little tiff but that only happens when they've been out of the cage for a run and are put back into the cage. the older boy has his own cage he's always been separate because well he's my special one :) and hes about 3 times as big haha. I've been able to have male guinea pigs together as long as they never were introduced to females. Wouldn't this be the same with mice?
My big boy is fine by himself he's always been by himself in a cage and I've never seen any problems

They'll end up fighting, believe me. Separate them now before one of them gets hurt (or worse...). Male mice should really be housed alone, they aren't social like guinea pigs.

Wolf 09-02-2010 09:43 AM

Well as time has progressed the young boys are still together in the same cage! and no fights :D. The older boy is still separated and a heir achy order is well clear established

Sasami 09-02-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 606368)
Well as time has progressed the young boys are still together in the same cage! and no fights :D. The older boy is still separated and a heir achy order is well clear established

Please separate them before they get older and fight. It won't remain peaceful for long :(. Usually fights between male mice result in the death of at least one of the mice.

Your mice get along because they're young, not because they're meant to be or anything.

breyer08 09-02-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasami (Post 606393)
Please separate them before they get older and fight. It won't remain peaceful for long :(. Usually fights between male mice result in the death of at least one of the mice.

Your mice get along because they're young, not because they're meant to be or anything.

This is very true. I have had brothers who have grown up together turn on each other in the blink of an eye. Unfortunately, I learned this lesson the hard way many years ago, when the one brother (the alpha male) killed the other. Please, please separate them now, even though it seems like they are ok together. I would hate for something like this to happen to your mice, and you never know when it will happen. Do not feel bad about housing them separately--they will prefer to be on their own, anyway.

emihawk 09-02-2010 10:04 PM

There's nothing to say that hasn't already been said. You need to separate the boys, once the hormones really start to kick in they will fight each other with the intent of killing. Do this for their sake.

Wolf 09-06-2010 03:49 AM

thank you all for your concerns, I have a spare cage is things become worrying. much appreciated.

lilspaz68 09-06-2010 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 606626)
thank you all for your concerns, I have a spare cage is things become worrying. much appreciated.

I hope you have the chance/time to be worried and not come home to a bloody mess one day. These boys are vicious fighters and you'll likely be having one pts from injuries.

Sasami 09-06-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 606626)

They're not going to warn you in advance, you most likely will come home to two very injured or dead mice and a lot of blood :(. They need to be separated BEFORE they begin to fight.