Paw Talk - Pet Forums

Paw Talk - Pet Forums (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/)
-   Chinchilla Discussion (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f19)
-   -   seizure? (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f19/seizure-58723.html)

voodoogtx 02-05-2011 08:47 PM

seizure?

My chinchilla ran under a table after getting scared of something he knocked over, ran under the table and started limping around. Then laid down on the ground and started pushing himself in circles. I picked him up and he was shaking really bad. Then he got his things together and started acting normal again. Its a Saturday night and i don't think the vet is open tomorrow. Should i be worried?

alfie 02-06-2011 10:10 AM

I would take him to the vet to rule out some dangerous causes of seizures as soon as they're open. My mosaic chinchilla however, periodically has seizures, and they are usually brought on by stress in his case. His body gets kind of rigid, and gets unsteady on his feet. When it happens, I take him out and hold him until it is over, and he is fine afterwards. However, I started looking into what would stress him out, and stopped exposing him to those things, and he hasn't had one in over a year now.

Regardless though, there are some seizures that are caused by dietary deficiencies, and other things, so I would take him to the vet to rule out those things. Be ready to tell the vet what kind of food/treats you are giving him, as well as any other dietary information they may ask for. Get him checked out at the vet to be sure.

voodoogtx 02-06-2011 05:08 PM

Well after some research i found out that the bedding i was using is Pine and that's no good. So I'm off to buy some Aspen. I don't feed him treats really. I give him timothy hay and a Alfalfa based feed and i use alfalfa hay as a treat be he loves it so much. Could the pine have messed him up that bad?

Sasami 02-06-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoogtx (Post 615484)
Well after some research i found out that the bedding i was using is Pine and that's no good. So I'm off to buy some Aspen. I don't feed him treats really. I give him timothy hay and a Alfalfa based feed and i use alfalfa hay as a treat be he loves it so much. Could the pine have messed him up that bad?

Pine bedding isn't good but it shouldn't cause seizures. I would take him to the vet.

ABC Chinchillas 02-16-2011 12:56 PM

Most Breeders use pine, Kiln dried pine is perfectly safe. I have used it for 14 years and Ranchers use pine. Pine would not cause a siezure, heat stroke can as can too much salt. What do you feed your chinchilla? Seizures are usually a major issue he will need to see a knowledgable vet

alfie 02-18-2011 12:03 AM

Any updates? How has he been? What did the vet say?