Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Teacup Pigs

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Elliriyanna 
#1 ·
I'm concerned about tea cup pigs. They are extremely cute and extremely small. I wonder if that those qualities effect the current projection of pig evolution.

#3 ·
they are very much like farm pigs just like a teacup chihuahua is a chihuahua. In fact, they are potbelly pigs.

However I wouldn't consider 120lbs all that small lol. I mean compared to normal pigs...yes they're teeny.

Anyway the issue with teacup pigs is the same issue with teacup dogs. Poor organ/bone/vital function along with some of them growing up to be not-so-teacup.

Funny story. I googled it to show my boyfriend and all that came up were pics of piglets.

#4 ·
Yeah I would not worry about them effecting pig evolution and so on these are pigs still but they are bred separately and not generally introduced to the wild or even to the general farm population to breed with the bigger pigs. Teacups are usually genetically poor because they are very inbred to get that small size from a very small gene pool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.