Paw Talk - Pet Forums

Paw Talk - Pet Forums (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/)
-   Other Exotics (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f25)
-   -   Where is a good flying squirrel breeder/ delivery service? (https://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f25/where-good-flying-squirrel-breeder-delivery-service-60254.html)

maiamira 09-05-2011 02:32 PM

Where is a good flying squirrel breeder/ delivery service?

Soon I am going to be adopting two southern flying squirrels :):):) and i would like to know where I can obtain them. I live in the south shore of Massachusetts. Officially, the law states that flying squirrels are legal as pets here if they are bought out of state. this includes services which HUMANELY ship the squirrels to you. I am wondering if anybody can refer me to a good breeder in a state near me (nh, ri, etc). I am willing to use a delivery service IF

1)it is completely humane
2)the flyers are less than 12 weeks old
3)people can honestly say they've used this service and the flyers were healthy, happy, bonding,, and not scared.

thank you! :fun:
:glide::glider2:

Dragonrain 09-05-2011 03:04 PM

Have you tried looking online for breeders? I know there are forums out there just for squirrels - someone there might be able to better recommend a breeder to you. I don't think anyone who regularly posts on this board currently owns any squirrels.

Shipping usually entails having the animal shipped, via plane, to your nearest airport. Keep in mind that it may be expensive (usually around $200 - $300 for the flight, which is added to the actual cost of the animal), and you will still need to go to the airport to pick the animal up.

maiamira 09-07-2011 08:58 PM

ooh ouch... i dont have that kind of money, and i find planes cruel to animals ears... guess ill have 2 look 4 breeders

Dragonrain 09-07-2011 10:16 PM

You don't have $200 - $300? How are you going to afford to keep an exotic pet then? I don't mean to be rude, but I hope you realize how expensive they can be. Do you realize that the squirrels themselves from a good breeder could cost around $100 - $150 each? And that's not even taking into account the price of the cage and supplies.

Sasami 09-08-2011 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonrain (Post 629962)
You don't have $200 - $300? How are you going to afford to keep an exotic pet then? I don't mean to be rude, but I hope you realize how expensive they can be. Do you realize that the squirrels themselves from a good breeder could cost around $100 - $150 each? And that's not even taking into account the price of the cage and supplies.

Not to mention how expensive vet care is for exotics (I hope you found a vet, by the way, as most won't treat exotics like flying squirrels). It was hundreds of dollars to treat my degus and only one vet in the area was experienced with them. Flying squirrels are even more "exotic" so I can only imagine...

maiamira 09-08-2011 07:40 PM

nonono, i have plenty money for everything,I just meant I dont have an ADDITIONAL $600 for shipping. I found a breeder by the way. I already built a cage and bought most of the supplies, too. and as for a vet, the whole reason I even HEARD of flying squirrels as pets is because a close family friend is an exotic animal vet and he was sharing some antics about a flying squirrel he was treating. I know how extremely expensive they are. I have enough money. I just dont see the point in paying a lot of money for a service that I find EXTREMELY cruel to animals' ears, and traumatic for them. I've saved up a long time, and I figure after i calculated all the costs, I have enough for everything now, plus about a year's worth of food/calcium, and I make more than enough money to pay for food. vet is almost free for us.