Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. This summer I got some young silver Mollies for my 5 gallon tank and now they are bigger and ready to be moved into a bigger tank, so I got my 10 gallon out of storage.

Going to need a new hang-on power filter, and most importantly a good adjustable heater. We are heading into winter and I want to be able to provide enough heated water when the wind is howling through this old house.
What heater style and wattage will the Molly tank need?
Pump will probably be a Hagen Aqua clear.
thanks ! :)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
My post got deleted when the site went down so in short:

-Heater: Fluval heaters are good but inexpensive options are the Hydor Theo and Aqueon. I've had a lot of heaters and those brands have been the most reliable. I used to like Stealth heaters but there have been recalls recently due to heaters exploding...so, uh, I won't recommend those at the moment :lol:.

-Filter: Hagen AquaClears are still some of my favorites even though they aren't as well-built as they used to be. Whisper filters are also generally reliable (and for a good price). We have an Aqueon HOB that's been running without major problems for years but I've found it to be weaker and more prone to clogging.

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
-Heater: Fluval heaters are good but inexpensive options are the Hydor Theo and Aqueon. I've had a lot of heaters and those brands have been the most reliable.

-Filter: Hagen AquaClears are still some of my favorites even though they aren't as well-built as they used to be.
Agreed and agreed. At one point, all 100 of my shop's aquaria, and 40+ of my personal aquaria were running on AquaClears, and many/most of those were using Ebo Jager heaters (which initially lost quality when Eheim began producing them, but are again back to decent quality)...I also like Tronic heaters and Hydor heaters. I have not used the new Fluval Series E heaters, but I have heard good things about them from many fellow aquarists.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Called my local shop today and she has the Aqua Clear filter, and she is still going to try to call another supplier for the Whisper PF 10 which offers good 3 stage filtration and is very quiet.
Then I will ask her about the heaters that you have suggested and see where that leads me.
Thanks so much !! :)

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
I really do like the AquaClears, as they are reliable, easy and cheap to find replacement parts for, have great flow rates, and infinitely customisable media. I have ACs that have been running for over 15 years with only some minor parts replacements.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I would prefer Whisper PF too, very ideal for close room. Our old was too noisy, especially at night..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts