Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
After two of the rabbits we got from petland died (the vet said it was most likely due to them being weaned too early and sold too young, so they had fatal GI problems), I've refused to have anything to do with Petland. I won't even step foot in one of their stores for any reason. I heard about that on the news, since I'm in Ohio too (but not in Akron). Somehow, out of all the pet store chains, I'm the least surprised that it happened in a Petland location. They really seem to be the worst of the worst as far as animal treatment goes, I've heard plenty of horror stories about their mistreatment of animals.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
they have stores almost everywhere in the us, but not all states (more eastern states) and some states only in one city, like in california they only have one in Roseville.
I looked at their website to see what kind of store it is, and they have a lot of locations, some states have over 20 stores, like OH.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I saw this posted somewhere else too. From what I heard, they have gotten statements from employee's from other Petland stores stating that this was a common pratice to deal with sick or injured animals that they couldn't sell.

I never shop at any pet stores that sells animals. Most of them come from breeding mills and arn't treated very well, and I refuse to support that. It's not all that hard to find small nonchain pet stores that sell only supplies, or even buy supplies online.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Every single pet store around here has animals in it, and its too expensive for me too order online :/ I dont support crappy petstores though, and Im definalty not going into petland.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wow. I'm beyond words. Someone should drown her... I feel sick now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Every single pet store around here has animals in it, and its too expensive for me too order online :/ I dont support crappy petstores though, and Im definalty not going into petland.
The only pet store chain we have here that doesn't sell animals is Pet People - but I guess that it's an Ohio and California-only chain. Pet Supplies Plus is where I get my bedding and litter from.

As far as pet food goes, I actually found that I save money by buying it online. Since they have decent prices on food and reasonably low shipping costs, I order mostly from the Drs. Foster & Smith website. At the very worst, I break even after paying shipping costs, but I usually save at least some. That, plus I can't buy hay in bulk quantities (25 or 50lbs) at any of the pet stores here anyway.

The only thing I've bought recently from a pet store (other than kitty litter and bedding) is ceramic food bowls. Not only are there always some horror stories like this, the average employee really does seem completely clueless - I guess it really is a case of them having a puppy when they were 5 and thinking they're now a certified vet because of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
From what I heard, they have gotten statements from employee's from other Petland stores stating that this was a common pratice to deal with sick or injured animals that they couldn't sell.
After the two bunnies we got from Petland died, I searched around on the internet to see what kind of experiences people had with the chain, and they were generally bad. I'm sure a lot of the stories are PETA-style hyped up nonsense, but I did see several stories about how they just flat out kill animals that haven't sold after a while.

The one I remember was about how they'd be put in a bag, smacked around on the ground until they died, then thrown away in a dumpster. I don't really want to believe that anyone would do that, but at the same time, I know it's probably true.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I also save money by buying my pet stuff online. I buy my rabbits hay in bulk and save soo much money over buying those tiny over priced pet store bags. I buy my dog food and supplies from a website that has good sales at least a couple of times a month. The pet stores around here don't even sell the brand I feed Kit (Wellness) anyways. I breed my own insects to feed to Haku but I even buy them online when I need them, in bulk so that I have plenty to feed him and then extras to set up to breed. You need to look around online to find the best deals, but I definatly save money. :)

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
When I was looking around to buy gecko food and some other things online I would have actually spent more since shipping is crazy, esp. since most of it would have to come from the US. Even shipping in Canada is crazy $53.00 to ship an 10.00 thing.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Hmm well like I said I think you really need to search to find the best deals if you want to go that rout. I spend the most on shipping when I have to get feeder insects. I found a company that will ship a box of up to 2,000 insects for $15 overnight shipping. And then each additional box is only an extra $5 for shipping (if you need more than 2,000). I couldn't even go to a pet store around here and get a thousand of any insect, they all sell them in tiny containers of like 25 or 50.

My other supplies oveously I can pay for the cheaper shipping because it doesn't matter if it takes the hay and dog food a couple of days to get here. A lot of times I'll have cupons for like 20% off, so that helps bring the cost down to just about what I would pay at a pet store, and a lot of the times less :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Did anyone ever find the actual STORY on this? Or was this just something that Peta came out with? I don't believe anything Peta has to say, EVER.

The first thing that came to my mind was that these rabbits could have been frozen and thawed in hot water to feed to a large boa or Retic. Just because they're wet bunnies doesn't mean they were drowned or otherwise inhumanely killed.

·
Herp Nerd
1,115 Posts
I found an Associated Press article on it. It says that the store was closed over the incident, and the person in the photo is up on two accounts of cruelty... sadly, in Ohio, it's only a misdemeanor for a first offense, so she'll likely walk away with some probation and told never to work anywhere with animals again.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
No,it is not the "hip and cool thing" to bash PETA...:rolleyes:
But I also dislike PETA and rather hear the story from other sources too.

That girl is horrible.
She looks proud of drowning the rabbits! :mad2:

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
i really didn't try hard but i couldn't find anything on it before.

Peta has done good things, and peta has done bad things for animals. I just don't trust their news really

·
Registered
302 Posts
I know it's the hip and cool thing to bash Peta, but all you really have to do is type in "bunnies" and "petland" into google news to find more info on it:

http://news.google.com/news?q=bunni...ent=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wn

The story itself came off of the employee's facebook, where she posted the pictures. Not from Peta.
Well, at least not believing their propaganda is in style now. :)

It's just nice to see other sources than "peta said so". Thanks for the link.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts