Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Will It Ever Change?
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 3 year old male not-neutered (will be by the new year) Dachshund, and we're his 9th home. We picked him up on sunday, and that home had him for 1.5 years, had 2 female pure Boxers, and was in an extremely quiet country hamlet. They told me he was babied and spoiled. I can see so far that he acts very needy, not just sucky dog love. The other day I was out for 6 hours, and we'd gotten a complaint that he was barking for 2 hours straight. He doesn't chew/destroy things, or have bathroom accidents. He's already improving a lot with his barking when we're home. Between whomever/whatever is happening the hallway, or what he sees through the window, he barks. He's getting better now because whatever he's on or at while barking, I remove him from and claim as mine and have him lie down. But when we leave and he stays home, his barking is unstoppable I'm told. When we take him our for his bathroom or a walk, he barks at everyone. Some people, especially children, he won't bark at all. Some people get one or two barks, and some people get an earful. He loves all dogs, especially ones bigger than him. He whines excitedly and wags his tail and wants to play. Even people he doesn't bark at and feels like approaching to sniff, he barks at when he gets within a foot of them. Is he being protective? His hackles will go up and down any time we take him outside.

He certainly isn't much for scheduled eating. He didn't even eat the first 36 hours he was here. They'd told me they just left his food bowl on the ground all the time. I offered him his food this morning and he sniffed it and walked away. Because of the new pup (other thread) I don't want them trading foods. Before the pup, I left his food down just so he'd eat something, but he still only nibbled randomly here and there. His pooing is finally picking up, and yesterday for the first time he was kicking his feet after the biggest poo he's had so far since being with us.

Can I assume he has separation or attachment issues? Could his eating/pooing be from the stress of a new home?

The previous home let him sleep in bed under the covers with them. We don't want that, so we'd set up a nice bed with our dirty laundry on the floor. Our bed is 4 feet off the ground, he's only successfully jumped up onto it once. That night, he neurotically circled the bed ALL NIGHT trying to jump up, only lying down for 10 minutes at a time. With the new pup in the living room, we leave him out there too for each other's company/smell (pup is crated) and it surprised us that he didn't scratch relentlessly at our bedroom door to get in with us instead, though we could hear him do a lot of pacing.

I've noticed he's a paw licker, as well as a spot on his chest. He'll lick at the same pace for half an hour if I don't stop him or try and distract him. It's like a metronome ticking, how he licks.

He loves to curl up beside on on the couch, and that's okay with us, though we do put him on the floor and claim the couch if he barks at something and won't stop. He's very affectionate, full of kisses, tries to clean our ears (previous home let him, we don't) and his face is full of him seeking approval. Kind of breaks my heart a little when he gets that look. The other day I did some laundry, I was only gone 5 minutes, and when I came back he was so happy as though I'd been gone all day. I won't baby him because I pity him, because I don't want to encourage him.

I'm not sure what I'm asking. Maybe advice or ideas? He doesn't seem anxious or nervous. Maybe it will just take getting used to our schedule and our ways? We're extremely patient with him, and he's understanding what we expect of him very quickly. I know I am a tad concerned (not blatantly worried) about the barking when we leave him at home. Whomever called in the complaint (lives above us), did so through the city by law. Fortunately our building maintenance fellow lives below us (loves dogs and has his own), and he spoke with the by law when they were here and said there hasn't been any issues.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
To be honest, this sounds like normal stuff for a dog that's been shuffled around so much. I'm surprised he's not worse.

I think you need to give it more time and get him into a routine. What is your current exercise schedule? What is your typical routine when you leave? Is he crated or left loose? Definitely get some puzzle toys if you haven't already, you can give them to him when you leave. Easy "starter" toys are the various Kongs (there are a bunch) and balls that dispense treats when rolled (IQ Ball, Atomic Treat Ball, Buster Cube, etc.). Once he gets the hang of things. try trickier toys like the Tug-a-Jug and Bob-a-lot.

As for the food issue, he's probably just feeling out of sorts with the move. Don't leave the bowl down, give him 15 minutes to eat and then put it up. If he hasn't eaten he'll probably eat the next time. Free feeding isn't good.

Also, I think you're worrying way too much about not spoiling him. Being affectionate and "babying" him a bit may be what he needs right now. It won't make him needy unless you're letting him constantly demand attention but it will help him settle. Remember, this poor dog has had NINE homes. That's insane. Dachshunds are definite family dogs that bond closely to their caretakers so he's probably feeling pretty bad :(.

He'll settle down in time but for the barking, have you tried teaching him the commands "speak" and "quiet"? Going further, what training HAVE you done already or are starting? :)

· Will It Ever Change?
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sasami. We do give Oscar lots of love and snuggles, let him give is kisses and lie on our lap. But we don't let him constantly demand attention as you said. Maybe half the time he demands it, we respond and give him his cuddles. Sometimes he just lies on our laps for 5 minutes then goes to curl up beside us or on the chair. The new pup (other thread) is what's getting me in cahoots. I'm very unimpressed with this previous home for kicking the pups out so early.

Monday and tuesday night we let oscar on our bed, and of course through the night he found his way under the warm cozy covers. We definitely know he needs to feel reassured right now. Its obvious in his face that he's begging to be accepted. Even when he's good and we come home from being out, he looks like he's terrified he's being punished. After we get home, we always leash up and go out so he can burn steam. I know he needs time to relax just from seeing eat more and sleep better as the days go by. I really feel for him having been through so many homes. First day here he didn't eat or sleep, so restless and unsure. He has the sweetest character given his history, and we love him tons already. We're not harsh, don't yell, or have heavy hands with him, we're just patient and consistent. We don't want to stress him out more than he clearly is.

He has a long walk in the morning and at night, and out during the day for the bathroom. I'm home all day, my husband works mon-fri 6:30 to 3. The kong is a good idea, I'll make sure I pick one up this weekend for him, then he can come for the truck ride with us (I don't drive). With the food I've been doing as you mentioned, since wednesday. So far he's not a big fan but I know if he gets hungry enough he'll eat. I put food down for him at 630am and 6pm. He ate well last night but didn't want anything this morning. He isn't crated and never has been, I was told. When I leave I usually get things ready before hand so that I can just grab and go. In doing this I'm hoping he won't find the prep of leaving to be so "severe". When we get home, he's never barking, he's always curled up on the couch or chair, anything with our scent. He's curled up on the couch right now in fact. He rarely chooses to lie on the floor. For training we have not tried "speak" but he's understanding "quiet" very quickly, maybe because we're used to the sounds so he notices we're calm? He already knows sit, down, stay (a bit optional in his eyes), come, and no. He can also "sit handsome" which is too cute. He sits, but only on his hind legs and he puts his front paws up.

I hope I answered everything, I'm quite pooped from the puppy. I suppose it's good practice if we ever want to have children! lol

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
Aw poor thing passed around like that :(
Bless you for giving him a great home.

With patience he should come around, once he feels you guys are keeping him and the pup and him bond.

The barking... Well. Since he barks while alone there's nothing to help him. Maybe some quiet relaxing music? Some Rescue Remedy? (I had that for Coco and it calmed him a little but his anxiety problems were unmanageable even with medicine) And valerian root + melatonin will help him sleep it off while he's alone.

A Kong should help him keep busy. Freeze some peanut butter and give it to him.

· Will It Ever Change?
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks :) I noticed the connection today, he's calmer and has sounder naps, when the tv is on low volume! So next time I have to go out and my husband's still at work, I'm going to try leaving the tv on. Is there something else for the kong I can try? I'm allergic to peanut butter, so we never carry it. What if I stuff it with soft dog food and freeze it?

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I use ground meat in ours (frozen) and I've heard of other people pouring in chicken broth with treats and freezing it :D.

Being a Dachshund (I used to have one and have fostered several...they're awesome), he probably has an active mind and likes to use his nose. Something I used to do with mine was hide treats around the house for him to find. It kept him busy for a while and tired him out. This was in addition to puzzle toys :). You really want to wear him out not just physically but also mentally. Every day put aside at least a few minutes dedicated to training routines. Work on the tricks he knows and maybe try teaching some new ones. I've found that ten minutes (with a break of play halfway) of training exercises will tire out a lot of dogs more than a long walk will! Walks are great, especially if he gets to sniff (a hound's favorite activity, hehe), but Dachshunds need a ton of mental stimulation to stay sane.

What food are you offering him? There are a couple of brands that I've found to be "unpopular". Most dogs will eat eventually but if this continues it'd be worth a shot to try another brand or "flavor". I'm guessing he's nibbling a bit, at least, though.

P.S. Any photos? ;)

· Will It Ever Change?
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! :D Him and the pup did their own major adjustments since yesterday. My husband and I both job when we take oscar out, and we stop and let him sniff everything before we turn around and job back. He's already loving playing with the pup and will initiate play with her now, rather than wait for her to initiate play with him. He's realizing he has a buddy in training :) He's also taking to eating. We noticed he has a love for wanting to steal the puppy food when he thinks we're not looking (he can smell it). We leave the bowls up unless it's someone's eating time. He happily scarfed his bowl down this morning, then had a great nap! :) He's doing really well and we're amazed at how well and quickly he's adjusting. It makes us feel like we're doing good by him :) My husband went on "dog duty" overnight and I had a great sleep, and my body and mind feel much better. Now I'm on "dog duty" and my husband's taking a nice nap. I honestly wasn't panicking, just incredibly tired. I'm glad my whole post didn't sound like a huge blond moment! (maybe it did? hehe) One game I tried that was a huge hit, was as you mentioned, hiding treats. We have these treats called "snausages" that he just LOVES, and they're soft enough we can break them into tiny pieces. I took his blanket and hit pieces everywhere, as well as under toys and near furniture. After 20 minutes he was done and seemed so happy and then curled up beside us :)

For photos I can still upload from photobucket, can't I?

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I'm glad to hear that both pups are settling in so well :D. Yeah, you can use Photobucket.

· Registered
801 Posts
Very very nice and sweet they are together! Glad everything goes smoothly with your dogs, especially Oscar. ;)

· Will It Ever Change?
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we went out last night for about an hour and took oscar for the truck ride. first: when we go near the truck, or in it, he gets a look on his face that i've seen on animals when they know they're being rehomed. it's such an awful look to see! i'm sure some of you know what look i'm talking about. it wasn't an anxious or unsure/curious look, it was a sad acceptance look. we take him with us whenever we can, he needs the repetition to realize we're not giving him away just because he goes in the truck with us. by the time we got home, he was far more relaxed and lying on my lap.

we went to petsmart and bought a kong for him (and formula for the pup) to settle him when we have to go out and can't take him (oh, the barking!). we brought him in with us, and he smelled every inch of the store lol it was adorable. he got better practice saying hi to strange people without always barking (he loves dogs but is leery of people he doesnt know, children excluded). we went up to the doggy daycare windows so he could see lots of different dogs. he said hi to a few dogs in the store with their owners shopping. people that wanted to say hi to him, he's give one single bark, no hackles up, tail up and ok (he wasn't concerned with people not paying attention to him). i'd kneel down to him and say quiet and put my hand near the strange person. then he'd follow my hand and sniff the person. then he would still act "unsure" of them, but no more barks and would move on. the people found him sweet, especially as we explained it was good socializing for him and that he was new to our family, and we explained his history of rehoming. no one took issue to his "hey, you're a stranger" bark.

then we went to the dollar store and i sat in the truck with him while my husband went in to get a jar of peanut butter for the kong (cheap/easy, i'm only allergic to eating it), and another dog dish so that oscar could have his own water bowl and didn't have to jump the puppy pen to drink (i'd set it up so he could still go in to say hi, which he loves to do). i think oscar honestly thought steph (my husband) wasn't coming back. no barking, just endless whining...endless! poor guy, the other family didn't get him out much, that's clear! didn't bark at strange people he saw, was solely fixated on if steph was coming back, never took his eyes off the door to the store, unless to pace and stare out my passenger window. when steph came back it seemed like the greatest day of oscar's life, he was so happy, more so than when steph comes home from work.

then we went to food basics because we needed a few things ourselves. oscar was beginning to relax and lie on my lap. when we arrived, again i stayed in the truck with oscar while steph went into the store. same result, endless whining, wouldn't take his eyes off the entrance. however, he realized i existed this time, and i was able to have him lie on my lap and try to relax, and it worked. he even stayed laid down as steph got in the truck. another happiest day of oscar's life. then we went home and oscar stayed lying on my lap the whole way. when we got home he was as excited as when steph would get back into the truck. somehow i don't think he went on car rides unless he was being rehomed or taken to the vet, he's really unfamiliar with it as leisure. when we got inside, we gave him a treat and tons of praise, then he ate his dinner in one sitting (another project, was used to the bowl always on the floor) and slept like a rock! as we ate our dinner he was awake and tried to beg and creep closer (previous home shared their food with him), we gave him one "no, lie down" and BAM he stayed lying at our feet, with his back to us, for our whole meal! after we were done eating, another treat and tons of praise, then he was back to sleeping like a rock. we can tell he isn't "scared" but he is anxious and unsure, always. moments of bringing him to go out for errands (this wasn't the first, but the most interesting) are great practice for him to relax, socialize, sniff everything, and realize he's coming back home with us.

· Registered
3 Posts
I think all dogs have some anxiety/separation issues. We bought our 6 weeks old Chihuahua from an Amish puppy mill and when we brought him home, he was scared, did not eat and did not drink for 6 hours. My hubby read online how to at least keep his water fluids up and we spoon fed him warm distilled water with a bit of sugar to keep his sugar levels up since he didn't eat.

He was crying like a baby and my husband stayed up with him a few nights. It lasted for about 2-3 days then he got used to us and was ok. But first 2-3 days was pretty bad. He was so tiny and we had our heater running up so he won't be cold etc... now he won't leave us alone and always cuddles with us. He's so sweet!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.