Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

49-foot python captured in Indonesia

23K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  clairebee1 
#1 ·
983-lb creature believed to be world's largest

Indonesian villagers claim to have captured a python that is almost 49 feet long and weighs nearly 990 pounds, a local official said.

The Indonesian newspaper Republika said the snake, which was caught last year but only recently put on public display, eats three or four dogs a month.

http://msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?id=3845750&p1=0

#6 ·
Huge, but I highly doubt it is as big as they are claiming. If it were, I'm sure they would have gotten someone to verify it by now instead of going out of their way to make all the pictures of it impossible to judge size from. :)

Rav

#8 ·
A reporter finally got into verify its size, it is actually only around 22 foot and probably around 250lbs. Still not small, but hardly what they were claiming.

Rav

#9 ·
That's good that the truth finally got out. I have friends that live in Indonesia each year. One day when they were coming home, they found a python crawling over their wall. Someone killed it because there were kids in the neighborhood. I don't think they bothered to measure it, but it was big enough to give them chills.

#10 ·
I don't know how to express my distaste for people who choose live in the habitat of an animal and then kill the animal for being there too without coming off as very rude. So I'll just leave it at that. :)

Rav

#13 ·
Most species of captive snakes should eat once a week (7-10 days). Older snakes can often be taken to 12-14 days without issue. Larger pythons, I keep mine to every 2-3 weeks depending on size of the last meal and activity level. Who knows how big the dogs they are feeding are. 2-3 chihuahuas are going to be very different from 2-3 great danes. :)

Rav

#16 ·
Ravnos said:
I don't know how to express my distaste for people who choose live in the habitat of an animal and then kill the animal for being there too without coming off as very rude. So I'll just leave it at that. :)

Rav
Rav, again I agree with you, it's very disheartening to see people kill a wild animal rather than relocate it, but it's even sadder to me to see people justify the actions of others who do this... Part of humanity's problem is we THINK we have the rights to every bit of land on this earth, and that we have the rights to kidnapp baby animals, and to kill the ones who get in our way. We need to learn how to Co-habitate with these creatures, or we're going to end up with more extinctions on our hands...
I was always upset when my parents would kill a snake in the yard "oh god It could have bitten one of you kids" my mom would scream as she was lobbing it's head off with a garden hoe...
I could never help but to think.... it'd teach me a lesson....
my point is, learn about things.. you have a fear of snakes, learn about them so you won't be in a situation where you feel that you must kill the poor thing, learn how to avoid a bite....learn how it hurts them so to have their heads chopped off *their brains still register pain hours after the head is severed.* Education is key to saving our animals....and people just don't care...
edited to add..sorry if I come off so preachy, I've been dealing with my parents on this issue for years...
and the "dangerous snakes" they kill....
pshhhh.... Garter snakes and "bull snakes" *rat snakes*

#17 ·
Not to mention, one of the two main reasons people get bit by snakes is trying to kill them. If you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. If you attack them, what choice do they have but to try and defend themselves?

The second reason people get bit is alcohol, by the way. According to CDC statistics, 80% of venomous snake bites occur because the person involved was drunk and stupid.

Rav

#18 · (Edited)
That snake reminds me of the movie coming out ," Ancadona" except the fact that this snake is a python, but im sure you guys get my drift ;)

*Also*
I do recall an episode of wildboyz where they went to Indonesia and saw this snake. They did measure it but it was no more than 30 feet. Then of course the boys cracked the joke that this is another example of men lying about the size of their snake. lol

#19 ·
Ravnos said:
Not to mention, one of the two main reasons people get bit by snakes is trying to kill them. If you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. If you attack them, what choice do they have but to try and defend themselves?

The second reason people get bit is alcohol, by the way. According to CDC statistics, 80% of venomous snake bites occur because the person involved was drunk and stupid.

Rav
\

yes rav, and what many do not realize, is that snake venom moves through your body much faster when you're drunk, alcohol thins the blood..... very scary stuff, I just wish 1. we could educate people 2. put all the stupid people on an animal free island....far away from any retail store *laughs*

#23 ·
No because i thought it wasnt allowed for dogs or cats or anything that size to be fed to a snake.
Also i hate any animal eating another animal like rats and mice thats just the way i feel thats why i wouldnt have a reptile that ate another mammal.

#24 ·
This thread is like 4 years old. :)

Anyway... in many parts of Asia, dogs are a regular and acceptable source of meat - for human and animal consumption, and are bred specifically for that purpose. We may find it gross and cruel by our "western" standards, but it's a completely normal part of many other cultures. If they're appropriately sized, and priced right, they likely would be among the best choice for feeding a large python in captivity - at least over there. Most zoos in Europe or North America use rabbits, pigs, and/or large fowl. You may not like it, but even predators have to eat. :)

I get approached all the time about people who think a snake would make a cool pet, but can't stomach the idea of feeding mice and rats to it... well, that is generally part of snake ownership (though there are several species that eat other things, like lizards, worms, fish... or even crickets). If you can't feed one animal to another though, a snake is probably not the pet for you, which is fine. There are no shortage of animals out there which can make great pets. Until someone invents Purina Snake Chow. :)

#25 ·
Its just i don't have the heart to watch another animal eat another even on wildlife progames i cannot watch yes i totally understand its a circle animals eat animals and we eat animals.
Just ive seen the way some animals are cruely killed like the dogs and cats .. ive seen alot of progames on it and the way farm animals are killed aswell!
I would love to be a veg but i cant because of health reasons !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.