Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 1 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I would upgrade Esteban's (my Betta fish) standard of living, so today I bought a 5 gallon tank.
(I would have gone with 10, however I don't think I can get away with bringing anything bigger than a 5 gallon to college with me next fall. The only reason why I believe I can get away with a 5 gallon is because I'm going to be living in the apartment style living arangements on campus.)

I have decided that I want to buy some shrimp to share the tank with, the most commonly suggested for Bettas being larger Ghost shrimp or Red Cherry Shrimp. I also read that shrimp will be better off if they are introduced to an already matured tank.

My questions are:

1.) How long should I allow the tank to filter before adding shrimp?

2.) In what order should I introduce the species to the tank?

Since the shrimp tend to do better in tanks with filters that have some 'experience' in cleaning tanks with communities, my first thought is to put Esteban in after a couple more days of its first filtering/new gravel, and then buy the shrimp a few weeks afterwards. But would Esteban become provoked at their presence since he will establish the tank as his "territory" by that point in time?

3.) Are there any particular variations of shrimp I should avoid/are better besides the Ghost and Red Cherry?

4.) How many shrimp can fit comfortably with Esteban in the 5 gallon tank?

1 - 1 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.