Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted my goos just a week ago, and they came with a teeny tiny cage. So, I'm in the process of finding a bigger one. My only problem is I'm having a hard time finding somthing without plastic, and made without galvenized wire. (also resonable prices) I've read that pets who chew should never be homed in cages with galvenized wire. What do you think of these cages? degu cages I'm looking at the two bottom ones.
Is there some secret degu cage store I dont know about yet? :) Where did you get your cages?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
The bottom two cages are very simular to cages i use and perfect for degus as they are taller rather then wide. The only thing i would do is cover most of the wire shelves to prevent bumblefoot, i've replaced the wire ones with wood in mine. If replacing isn't an option then i have used cardboard and carpet in the past ;)

I buy my cages from a local pet store or i get them online, had a couple off ebay. I usually type in chinchilla cages and see what comes up :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "martins cages" look really great, they actually look just like what I was looking at at another site. Only it looks like they only use galvenized wire, which makes me wonder if those other ones are too... What are your views on galvenized wire?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wow, the cages on both those links look really great!!

I ended up having to create my own cage. I had a lot of trouble finding a good cage around here, one that was big enough, easy enough to access for cleaning/getting goos out, etc.

A good rule of thumb - get the biggest cage you can afford, and the biggest cage you can fit in your "spot". Little by little you can continue to work on it, expand it, add new environmental stimulation, etc.

The ones you're considering are super nice!!! Lucky little goos!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i have found cages from a a guy called john hopewell he does great cages for Goo's i have two males and two females who live in cages from him hope this helps

Regards

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
With Reguards to martins cages you can select the type of wire used in your cage via a dropdown menu. Also check around the internet for wood levels as bumblefoot is a nightmare. I had a scare a couple of weeks ago and that was from leaving thier wire wheel in too long. Now they have a solid base running wheel. John hopewell is great, i've only orderd some splash guards from him this far but they help a fair bit at keeping my messy degu's filth in thier cage ;). I'm eye-ing up one of his attic extensions and some shelf splash guards.

John also takes housing to be his number one priority and you wont find anything on his site inteded for degu that isnt degu safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts